People at my work... I want to slap them - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM

I am really confused.

I went Vegan within the last year and I must say I give huge Kudos (vegan kinds) to people who have lived with the general publics ignorance! 

I get comments all day long. One coworker even told me "I would rather my kid be gay than Vegan!" I wanted to punch him in the face!

Another one told me "everything is going to kill you"....

All of these people are overweight and ignorant and I am having a difficult time dealing with them.

I cook Vegetables and they fly off the handle.... One of them shows up with a hot dog and no one blinks an eye!

How does one deal with such ignorance? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Schultz View Post

I get comments all day long. One coworker even told me "I would rather my kid be gay than Vegan!" I wanted to punch him in the face!

That's a tough one.  That implies he would have a problem with his kid being gay too... wow, double dose of intolerance.

The best answer to hate and intolerance is love and patience- but it's hard.

Tell him "I would love my child no matter what" or something like that, or "I would be proud of my child for being himself and coming out- and glad that he could trust me enough to do it- just as I would be if he made the choice to live a healthy and conscientious consumer life as a vegan"

Dose up on the knowledge so you can answer every question thoroughly.

It will seem like the answers are falling on deaf ears- but they aren't.  You may never see somebody change, but little by little those things soak in.  Each time they hear them, they're a little more receptive whether they admit it or not.

Almost all of us started out ignorant carnists- and somehow, someway, we all learned (even if we were afraid or resistant at first).

Just keep at it... and remember the place they're coming from.  Be a positive example of a kind, loving, and healthy vegan they can remember- and that will make more of a difference than anything.

Also hi, and welcome to the forum!

#3 Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Schultz View Post

I am really confused.

I went Vegan within the last year and I must say I give huge Kudos (vegan kinds) to people who have lived with the general publics ignorance! 

Another one told me "everything is going to kill you"....

All of these people are overweight and ignorant and I am having a difficult time dealing with them.

I cook Vegetables and they fly off the handle.... One of them shows up with a hot dog and no one blinks an eye!

How does one deal with such ignorance? 

Hi Sarah. smiley.gif It gets easier, it really does. Well, not the smell of coworkers cooking hot dogs, but the rest of it does. smiley.gif They will stop bothering you after awhile and go on to something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM

I wish I could be of more support, but I'm in the same boat.  I haven't received any of the passive aggressive comments but I get a lot of stupid ones.  I'm a member of our Employee Recognition Council at work and we held our annual chili/soup luncheon for employees last week.  Every one of them was packed full of meat and/or cheese. I told them I would bring a vegan soup as an alternative and they said, "no, just bring hot dogs for the chili."  Really? I told them I would bring soy dogs if they wanted.  They said, "no, just bring sour cream and cheese."  Ugh, it's exhausting.  It's bad enough to endure the constant ignorance from extended family, but going through it at work too makes it really hard to be patient and understanding of peoples lack of knowledge around nutrition.  The good thing is, there are enough people curious about this lifestyle that I also get a lot of questions from those that are curious and interested in improving their wellness.  Maybe some of those type of individuals will surface the longer you present as a vegan.  Best of luck and hang in there. 

#5 Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsaj View Post

The good thing is, there are enough people curious about this lifestyle that I also get a lot of questions from those that are curious and interested in improving their wellness.  Maybe some of those type of individuals will surface the longer you present as a vegan.  Best of luck and hang in there. 

Yes!  Always look on the bright side :)

Just remember, every bit of knowledge and compassionate image you present helps a little bit, even if it doesn't seem like it.

#6 Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM

My coworkers are mostly supportive when it comes to the food part of being vegan, I guess because they can see all the weight I've lost and how much my health has improved so they must see that it's working for me, but they don't seem to understand the non-food part of being vegan.  Today there was a raffle for tickets to the circus, and they couldn't understand why I was so against the circus.  They didn't believe that animals that are in the circus are mistreated in any way.  Whatever.

I don't get too upset when I do run across people who make ignorant or snarky comments about veganism, because I used to be one of those people.  If I can become a vegan, based on the way I lived my life before I became one, then anybody can. 

#7 Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy Verrill View Post

My coworkers are mostly supportive when it comes to the food part of being vegan, I guess because they can see all the weight I've lost and how much my health has improved so they must see that it's working for me, but they don't seem to understand the non-food part of being vegan.  Today there was a raffle for tickets to the circus, and they couldn't understand why I was so against the circus.  They didn't believe that animals that are in the circus are mistreated in any way.  Whatever.

I don't get too upset when I do run across people who make ignorant or snarky comments about veganism, because I used to be one of those people.  If I can become a vegan, based on the way I lived my life before I became one, then anybody can. 

Good on you. And on the bright side, they're not being COMPLETLY rude about the food part.(which wouldn't be fun.)
#8 Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy Verrill View Post

Today there was a raffle for tickets to the circus, and they couldn't understand why I was so against the circus.  They didn't believe that animals that are in the circus are mistreated in any way.  Whatever.

But... but... circuses are so fun!  Being a circus animal must be the best job ever!

Yeah, I can see that.  Out of sight, out of mind, right?

I bet they think child actors have it good too, and they can even speak English :rolleyes:

#9 Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

But... but... circuses are so fun!  Being a circus animal must be the best job ever!

Yeah, I can see that.  Out of sight, out of mind, right?

I bet they think child actors have it good too, and they can even speak English rolleyes.gif

Why wouldn't they he able to speak English?
#10 Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post

Why wouldn't they he able to speak English?

Circus animals can't usually speak English.

I mean, Child actors can actually tell us how much it sucks, and we still think it's wonderful.

When a kid can tell you clearly how they don't like something and don't want to do it, and adults who were child actors come out about the abuse, and society still thinks it's a great thing to be a child actor... circus animals don't have much hope.

#11 Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

Circus animals can't usually speak English.

Okay....the world is doomed. Really, truly doomed!

I mean, Child actors can actually tell us how much it sucks, and we still think it's wonderful.

When a kid can tell you clearly how they don't like something and don't want to do it, and adults who were child actors come out about the abuse, and society still thinks it's a great thing to be a child actor... circus animals don't have much hope.
#12 Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I would like to slap a couple people at my work as well, but for different reasons. grin.gif They are just jerks to the core.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page