Eating clean - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM

I finally gave up that last bit of cheese and recommitted to my vegan diet a few months ago. However, I frequently rely on vegan junk food. For Lent, I would like to follow a clean vegan diet and give up the junk. I would like to limit the tofu and gluten free bread (wheat allergy, not by choice) and focus more on the non processed foods. I plan on using some meals from the 21 day kick start from PCRM, but I need some ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Usual day is like this when eating clean:
B: green smoothie or banana or apple with PB or oatmeal.
L: hummus and veggies and a fruit
D: beans, greens, and starch or potato with veggies or taco salad

I often get stuck in a rut and eat the same things. I live with my husband who eats meat and my son who eats every thing, but I don't mind cooking extra food. Any ideas for your favorite clean meals ideas are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM

Looks pretty good.

I recommend adding a bit more Omega 3 in your diet- ground flax seeds would help with this (just remember, they have to be refrigerated or frozen, because they go bad fast).

Tofu isn't super processed, but how about miso or some other fermented foods (like lacto-fermented veggies, or oats)?

#3 Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd recommend checking out www.ohsheglows.com. There you can find many "clean" recipes which are also gluten free. Just don't zoom in on all the amazing cookies smiley.gif

What I do to have some variety is to sit down once a week, look up recipes and plan my food week. Some weeks I introduce new recipes and other weeks I'm more stressed and stick to what I know. Planning is really crucial for me since I often come home late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM

forealslife.com has some really good recipes.  Another place to get good, healthy vegan recipes is from the message board on Dr. McDougall's website.  http://drmcdougall.com/forums/index.php

#5 Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Beginner

I've found that following a "blender diet" (diet meaning what I eat, not linking to weight loss necessarily) for at least one meal a day has been great for making me feel less weighed down and full of energy. I will either make a green smoothie, a soup, a healthy dip/spread etc... in my blender and that only requires that one step, plus chopping up veggies or getting out some greens to eat with the dip or spread.

This post is handy for ideas when I don't want to look at a bunch of different pages: http://calmmindbusybody.com/50-things-you-can-make-with-a-high-powered-blender-saving-time-money-and-your-health/

I also eat vegan junk food (the processed kinds :S) sometimes, but now I try to replace it with homemade vegan puddings or healthy vegan cheese sauces (both in the blender!) that I pour all over veggies. Keeping some chopped and peeled raw vegetables or fresh fruit on the counter really helps if I have a sudden craving or if I have really hungry when I get home. If there is good ready to go, then I am much less likely to make or buy something junk foody. :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page