Best Blender for Green Smoothies, Nut Butters and Soups? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Hi everyone :)

It's been forever since I posted here, but I've recently become obsessed with the idea of owning a Vita-mix and wanted to get people's input on it.  I know several people who own a Vita-mix, and they all love it, but I just can't afford $400 for a blender :(  I found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Ultima-Blender-Plus-BL830/dp/B00ESQ5DD6/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1393261535&sr=1-5&keywords=ninja+blender

It's more in my price range - does anyone have experience with this blender?  I like that it appears to come with the little to-go mugs.

There's also this: http://www.amazon.com/Ninja%C2%AE-MEGA-Kitchen-System-1500/dp/B00BQM4PLG/ref=sr_1_20?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1393262045&sr=1-20&keywords=ninja+professional+blender

I can't quite tell the difference, except this one seems to come with a food processor part, as well.

I am looking to change the way I am eating, and switch to having a green smoothie every morning for breakfast, so the item I get needs to be able to hold up to long-term daily use.  BUT I want the smoothies to be as nice and smooth as the ones I can get at the vegan bakery down the street from my house.  I also make a lot of pureed soups.  I also want to start making nut butters and homemade hummus so I can experiment with different flavor combinations.  So if anyone has any experience with either of the items I posted, or can recommend another product that they love, I would really appreciate it :smitten:

Thanks is advance!

"You know I'm a radical."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM

Have you considered the Nutribullet? http://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Bullet-NBR-12-12-Piece-Hi-Speed/dp/B007TIE0GQ

It's significantly cheaper than a Ninja and it blends beautifully. I've been using it regularly for at least 2 years now without problems. My sister has a Ninja and says that she actually envies my Nutribullet(!), but I haven't used her Ninja to compare.

#3 Old 02-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never paid more than $60 for a blender and my smoothies are very smooth with no chunks or bits to chew. This in the model I have at home: http://www.beallsflorida.com/online/oster-12-speed-glass-blender---6844?cm_mmc=PaidSearch-_-PLA-_-PPCGooglePLA-_-0097630603&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CMfV04mt5bwCFUiGfgodRlgACQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM

You can get good smoothies with almost any blender.  It's just a matter of taking a little time.

What the vitamix can do in 30 seconds, another blender might take five minutes.

Other blenders also don't have the power to do anything thick in the typical "blender" style upright jar.

For hummus, you want a blender with a food processor.  That is, a jar/vessel with a very wide bottom and long wide blades.  With a tall blender, you just get an air pocket when the blades push it out of the way, and you don't make any progress.

You can make nut butters in a food processor, but again, it's slow.

There are specialized grinders for that kind of thing which you might look into.

Buying three or four specialized devices at $30 each is going to be cheaper than one single super-powered multi-purpose device like a vitamix.  Though there's a drawback to that as well, in that they take up more real estate in your kitchen.

#5 Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo View Post

Have you considered the Nutribullet? http://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Bullet-NBR-12-12-Piece-Hi-Speed/dp/B007TIE0GQ

It's significantly cheaper than a Ninja and it blends beautifully. I've been using it regularly for at least 2 years now without problems. My sister has a Ninja and says that she actually envies my Nutribullet(!), but I haven't used her Ninja to compare.

My Mum has a Nutribullet, and she loves it, but I don't think that it's big enough to make blended soups.  I am kind of leaning in that direction, though, and just getting an immersion blender.

"You know I'm a radical."
#6 Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

My Mum has a Nutribullet, and she loves it, but I don't think that it's big enough to make blended soups.  I am kind of leaning in that direction, though, and just getting an immersion blender.

Yeah, Nutribullet is too small to make a big meal; it's just too much trouble to put stuff in the little tiny cup and empty it over and over.

An immersion blender is great, though; you can make a huge pot of soup or hummus with that pretty easily.  Although it will make things a little coarse, since it tends to miss some bigger pieces here and there (fine for soups).

I don't have any problem with hummus that has a few small chunks in it.

#7 Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Have you looked here for a Vitamix?

https://secure.vitamix.com/Certified-Reconditioned-Products.aspx

Their reconditioned units have the same warrenty as new. They're the ones used in demos so it's not like they're returns. I'm in NE ohio (where the factory is) and Vitamix has an outstanding reputation. I bought one on ebay that's from the 70's for a little over $100. and it's as strong as can be. 

If you're on the fence I would recommend the first Ninja, that came with a blender and a smaller container with the top mounted motor for about $40.00. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Beginner

I agree that the Vitamix is awesome but soooo expensive. :(

Still on the pricey side, but Blendtec has their blenders 60% off if you buy their reconditioned ones, so maybe keep an eye out for things like that? If maybe if you purchased another one second hand that still has a valid warranty on it.

This post mentions green smoothies, nut butters and soups in regards to blenders:

http://calmmindbusybody.com/50-things-you-can-make-with-a-high-powered-blender-saving-time-money-and-your-health/

Green smoothies and Soups seem like they'd be pretty manageable with a less powerful blender, so if you think you would just stick with recipes like that, then you could probably save the money and get a less powerful device, at least in the mean time. Whenever there is a Vitamix giveaway on a blog, I drool and cry at the same time haha.

#9 Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post

I agree that the Vitamix is awesome but soooo expensive. :(

Still on the pricey side, but Blendtec has their blenders 60% off if you buy their reconditioned ones, so maybe keep an eye out for things like that? If maybe if you purchased another one second hand that still has a valid warranty on it.

This post mentions green smoothies, nut butters and soups in regards to blenders:

http://calmmindbusybody.com/50-things-you-can-make-with-a-high-powered-blender-saving-time-money-and-your-health/

Green smoothies and Soups seem like they'd be pretty manageable with a less powerful blender, so if you think you would just stick with recipes like that, then you could probably save the money and get a less powerful device, at least in the mean time. Whenever there is a Vitamix giveaway on a blog, I drool and cry at the same time haha.

Just want to point out the reconditioned Blentec is priced the same as the comparable Vitamix.

#10 Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my blendtec!  I can not only make seed, nut, and peanut butters (so far have done sunflower butter, sesame butter/tahini, peanut butter, and almond butter), but also grind my own flour from whole grain (such as buckwheat, millet, oat groats etc) instead of buying a ton of flour I might not use much; grind my own coffee beans and flax seed; make awesome creamy soups; countless smoothies; raw energy bars with dates; plant milks (tried almond milk and made my own coconut milk); puddings; almond alfredo sauce; raw soups with whole vegetables and more.  For me it is like a food processor, flour mill, and blender all in one.  And it's very durable.  I once accidentally left a metal spoon in there (buried in batter) and blended and it made a god awful noise but the blender was unscathed (the spoon didn't fare as well).  

I think the vitamix has a lifetime warranty but I am not sure.  My blendtec has either a three or seven year warranty, can't remember which off the top of my head.  I would have prefered a vitamix as it also has a wand and is easier to scrape down the sides as the blender is still running than a blendtec (it comes with other gadgets the blendtec doesn't have either), but when I purchased my blendtec it was still $100 cheaper than the cheapest vitamix at that time, three years ago. It is also very easy to clean.  I was fortunate at the time to have received a small inheritance due to a death in the family (though I still miss my Grandma dearly) so I could spend all the money required up front for my blendtec and have it shipped with insurance coverage.  I now have much better credit and if I had to buy another one for whatever reason, I would probably just pay with my credit card and make payments to that each month.  I did look on ebay but didn't have much luck at the time finding anything I wanted.  But that is an option.  

As much as I love my blendtec, I did get by fine for years without it, and was still able to make some smoothies and bean dips (even hummus) and so on in a regular blender.  But I still love all that I can do with the blendtec.  My Mom eats gluten free and I make a lot of holiday meals for get togethers so I make gluten free vegan foods.  I don't like to buy a whole bunch of gluten free flour I won't use much.  The blendtec allows me to buy the whole seed in small amounts and grind just what I need for baking, while I can still use the rest of the whole seed for other stuff such as hot cereal or a base for stir fries or something.   I am sure the vitamix does all the same, and it has been around longer I believe so it has a better reliability factor.  I know of people who have the same vitamix they bought over a decade ago.  There is also a local cooking store where I live that sells the vitamix right there, whereas the blendtec I think can only be bought online through their store or third party?  

ps. It is entirely possible to eat leafy greens without blending them for breakfast too.  I just had sauteed (in water) bok choy and tempeh with a side of cantalope for breakfast.  I sometimes like to lightly steam or saute in water a leafy green such as collards or kale and add a pinch of cinnamon and ginger.  Or add fresh or frozen fruit to chopped crispy lettuce for breakfast.  :)

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM

How to choose best blender for smoothie

Some information maybe can help you choose the best blender for smoothies
Container Size
One of the foremost factors to be considered while choosing a blender for making desirable smoothies is the desirable size of container. Certain consumers tend to overlook the tumbler or container size while purchasing the blender and this decision may backfire later in actual operation, when a larger quantity is required, as it may spill contents, and worse, might even enter motor portions.

Wattage
Another major aspect of this particular appliance is the power function, and the amount of power it consumes. Some products are chosen over the others just because they are heavy duty and have a high power motor, and this way, another major cause of power consumption is ignored. More power a product consumes, more power cost and power bills are incurred.

Warranty
Home appliances are not purchased every day and are to be bought keeping in mind the longevity and reliability of the same. For doing the same, it should be ascertained, as to how much warranty the manufacturer is offering, as it may save a lot of cost, in case of break-down.

Price
It is one of the most important factors of decision making in terms of appliance, as first of all it should be ascertained as to how much should be spent in correlation with available budget, and hasty decisions should be curtailed. Some products are highly luring and attract impulsive buying, which nowadays is easily done through credit cards, but is later regretted.

Portability
Another aspect is that of mobility and portability, that should be kept. If the sole purpose is to operate at a stationary location, like a table top or kitchen shelf, then a heavier version is suitable, but when the consumer moves constantly, or moves residence quite often, then a light weight version should be preferred.
And more great guide can help , you can read more this website, very good reviews : http://blenderforsmoothies.org/
#12 Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Beginner

I believe new vitamix and blendtec machines have a 7 year warranty.

I have my eye on a blendtec as soon as I can save enough money. For now, I have to rely on the Ninja for smoothies and the food processor for nut butters (and it takes forever!).
#13 Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

We used a Vitamix for a while but they simply do not take well to being used every day for years. Ours packed up about 1.5 years from new. I recently bought a Blendtec and it's amazing. I have the hummus jar which makes thick stuff easily. It's expensive but worth it!
#14 Old 12-19-2016, 06:57 AM

Talking ;)

I’d recommend the Karmin`s blender
#15 Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
We used a Vitamix for a while but they simply do not take well to being used every day for years. Ours packed up about 1.5 years from new. I recently bought a Blendtec and it's amazing. I have the hummus jar which makes thick stuff easily. It's expensive but worth it!
Give me a break! They have a 5 year warrenty and should last a longgggg longggg time
I got mine on ebay for $75 it's from the 70's, used, and still a monster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page