A Little Encouragement, Please - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM

Hi guys…… I could use a little pep talk about now.  I went vegitarian, cold-turkey, last  May (no problem).  I have been trying since November to transition to vegan.  I have replaced all our cleaning products and beauty care with vegan products (no problem).   I have given up silk (no problem).  I gave up eggs 6 weeks ago (not too hard).  Now here is the problem.  I GAVE UP CHEESE 2 WEEKS AGO.  This is the first time, since last May, I am wavering.  We went for pizza last Friday, and I got a pizza, sans cheese.  Our strategy tonight is to go to a restaurant that has vegan cheese and get a proper pizza.  I have the most supportive spouse on earth.  But I MISS goats cheese, I miss mozzarella, I miss cheddar.  I really want to do this.  You guys have helped me any number of times in the past 9 months.  Please, can someone give me some words of encouragement.  I love cheese more than anything on earth (except my husband), so this is really hard for me.  

Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

You've done SO well, don't give in to the cheese temptation now!

If I ever felt myself wavering in the early days I just thought back to the horrendous pictures of forklifts being used to take the spent, lame dairy cows to slaughter.  That was more than enough to convince me that a piece of cheese is not worth the pain and suffering they go through.  Maybe carry a graphic picture around in your purse and use it to remind you why you are doing this.

Hope you have a lovely meal tonight :chef:

#3 Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Banned

I deleted your other thread as it was exactly the same but hadn't got any replies.  I'll move this one to the Vegan Support forum :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks so much!  Those images are sustaining me at the moment!

#5 Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilly View Post

Thanks so much!  Those images are sustaining me at the moment!

It's also useful for when people ask why you aren't eating cheese - just flash the picture at them, no need for words haha!

#6 Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the most encouraging thing I can think of at the moment is that you will learn how to ignore those cravings and say "No, there are things more important than cheese", because you've already shown yourself that you have the will-power and commitment to become and stay vegan, so well done!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#7 Old 02-21-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for your kind words. I got through Friday night pizza night pretty well . I ordered my own.vegan pizza with daiya chees, and as I was talking to my husband, I picked up the Parmesan, without thinking and sprinkled it all over my slice . My husband though it was funny, and after a few seconds so did I! Next , we continue to talk , I take another slice, and I do it again!!!! Oh well, old habits die hard, vut I am trying! I know this is going to take a while.
60225 likes this.
#8 Old 02-22-2014, 12:32 AM

How did you like the vegan pizza?

Was the daiya OK?

I like ground nuts and salt as much as I ever liked cheese, and I think they make a really good topping.

I've made a few sliceable/melting vegan cheeses too with nuts, which have been great.

I find store bought vegan cheeses aren't really affordable, and making your own, you can make it to your own tastes and play up the flavors you like most.

#9 Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I make a parm substitute with ground raw cashews, nutritional yeast, salt and lemon. It's really good. Takes care of my parm cravings (though I crave the vegan kind now).
#10 Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 AM

I think the Friday pizza situation is a work in progress for me. I broke down this Week and had cheese. However, I wasn't really happy about my decision; I am going to keep working on it. I purchased nutritional yeast a few days ago and I am going to give that a try. I have now gone two months without eggs, and I am almost completely cruelty free with personal care and cleaning products, so I am almost to a point where I can give the "cheese question" (as my sweet husband calls it), my undivided attention.
#11 Old 03-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Google vegan cheeses. I've made some with raw cashews that turn]ned out pretty well.

If you're on Pinterest do a search there. Tons of good stuff. I also bought a book titled Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner but haven't tried anything yet but they look good!

reilly likes this.
#12 Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Guy View Post

Google vegan cheeses. I've made some with raw cashews that turn]ned out pretty well.

If you're on Pinterest do a search there. Tons of good stuff. I also bought a book titled Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner but haven't tried anything yet but they look good!

Oh Please give reviews and tips when make something!

I got the book from the library but felt intimidated with the culturing, and can't afford to waste good money on nut experiments now!

I've only heard good things.
I didn't see a blue cheese type? I miss blue cheese on salad. Really firm tofu marinated in things like miso, or good olive oil, lemon, and herbs is okay

One thing I've found I like a lot is vegan mayo (been using Earth Balance with green lid) with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.

Braggs aminos also does wonders with nut yeast, as does lemon and garlic I think

I didn't like it on anything but popcorn when I first tried it but it is growing on me quickly.

reilly likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I didn't see a blue cheese type? I miss blue cheese on salad. 

Penicillium roqueforti, the main mold responsible for Blue cheese, is dangerous if cultivated incorrectly.  It produces PR Toxin along with something called Roquefoti C, which is a neurotoxin.

We know that when cultivated in most of the conditions, and the specific medium used to make Cheese, that PR Toxin breaks down through lengthy ageing, and production of Roqueforti C is relatively minimal- change a variable in that process, however, and you could end up preventing its decomposition, or creating a condition that results in greater gene expression for the production of those toxins.

Scary stuff. :worried:

You'd just have to try a new process, and then order an assay, testing for those toxins and metabolites to confirm it was safe to eat.

#14 Old 03-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

Penicillium roqueforti, the main mold responsible for Blue cheese, is dangerous if cultivated incorrectly.  It produces PR Toxin along with something called Roquefoti C, which is a neurotoxin.

We know that when cultivated in most of the conditions, and the specific medium used to make Cheese, that PR Toxin breaks down through lengthy ageing, and production of Roqueforti C is relatively minimal- change a variable in that process, however, and you could end up preventing its decomposition, or creating a condition that results in greater gene expression for the production of those toxins.

Scary stuff. :worried:

You'd just have to try a new process, and then order an assay, testing for those toxins and metabolites to confirm it was safe to eat.

That makes it far less appetizing!

Any thoughts on just fermenting grains for the "artisan vegan cheeses"?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

That makes it far less appetizing!

Any thoughts on just fermenting grains for the "artisan vegan cheeses"?

Most short, acidic fermentations- like, overnight, or one day- aren't going to build up a lot of toxins.  Lacto-fermentation is generally considered safe, as is yeast and acetic acid fermentation (though maybe a bit less so; I've heard tell of toxins in kombucha).

The biggest factor is the growth medium, which, when you're using a starter culture of ambient bacteria and fungi, will help bias your fermentation to select microbes which are most suitable for that medium (outcompeting the rest).  The main factors are simple carbohydrate content vs. protein and fat, salinity, and whether your medium is exposed to fresh oxygen or not.

Grain is usually safe to ferment with exposure to oxygen and without salt, because it's high in starches, so yeast takes over fast, along with the bacteria that metabolize the alcohol into acids (for sourdough), but you usually have to use a starter (or make a starter, by fermenting a couple times and reserving a bit the first couple times to the next batch).

Nuts are high in fat and protein, which despite being the best cheese candidates IMO, makes them particularly dangerous to ferment.  You need to cut off exposure to fresh air, and add enough salt to encourage lactic acid fermentation (to knock down the pH), otherwise you could get molds (which need air) and create some nasty toxins on their own, as well as possibly botulism (if the pH gets too high).

The same is true to a lesser extent with veggies, that are also low in starches (they can take a long time to ferment).

Lacto-fermenting grain is pretty easy, and you can do it without salt usually, by just getting a grain wet and leaving it underwater without air in a sealed container- it seems to ferment more readily than nuts and veggies due to the high carbohydrate content.

It kind of worries me not adding salt to something unless it's undergoing yeast fermentation, though.  But if you're lacto-fermenting your oats for breakfast cereal, you probably don't want them salty.

#16 Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Plant/Fungi based.

I just imagine the cow crying for it's child it won't see again. Then giving up cheese isn't hard for me.

60225 likes this.
#17 Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Thinking about the cow losing her baby made me think of how many people would be ok with that happening to a person. Imagine a woman giving birth and then immediately having her baby taken away. A nurse comes up to her and says "sorry about that, but we need your milk for cheese." Not too many people would consider that an acceptable exchange. It's not better with cows simply because they look and communicate differently than us. Just a thought.
60225 likes this.
#18 Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it would help to carry a picture of a baby cow looking adorable in your wallet. It can remind you what is at stake and it feels like he is watching you.
#19 Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

As others have said, the best method is probably thinking about the suffering involved in that product, and having a clear idea of why you are choosing not to be involved with it.

#20 Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Someone tried lavender floers in a salad and was surprised by the blue cheese taste
Haven't tried it myself but I will.
reilly likes this.
#21 Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM

Thanks ! What a great idea.
#22 Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Guy View Post

Someone tried lavender floers in a salad and was surprised by the blue cheese taste
Haven't tried it myself but I will.

That is a good idea!  I can kind of imagine how it tastes.

I usually add rosemary to my home made nut cheese, but I can see lavender adding a really nice note too.

Going to have to remember to try that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page