Favorite vegan book/cookbook? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

#1 Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 AM

I just order Becoming Vegan: the complete guide, and I was curious on what other good vegan beginners books or cookbook are out there? smiley.gif
Werewolf Girl, Purp and ilikekale like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I like these:

http://www.compassionatecook.com/amazon

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 PM

I know some people here don't but I really like Veganomicon, there's a lot of useful advice. I do find the recipes I've tried have been time-consuming, but they've also been easy to follow and delicious. It depends on what you're looking for :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veganomicon-The-Ultimate-Vegan-Cookbook/dp/156924264X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392433235&sr=8-1&keywords=veganomicon

Werewolf Girl, xoxo and brittney like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

It's hard for me to pick just one favourite so here are a few!

Chloe's Kitchen: http://www.amazon.ca/Chloes-Kitchen-Delicious-Recipes-Making/dp/1451636741

The Vegan Stoner Cookbook: http://www.amazon.ca/Vegan-Stoner-Cookbook-Recipes-Munch/dp/1607744643/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392440561&sr=1-1&keywords=vegan+stoner

How It All Vegan! http://www.amazon.ca/How-All-Vegan-Irresistible-Animal-Free/dp/1551522535/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392440592&sr=1-1&keywords=how+it+all+vegan

And my favourite non-recipe book is Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, it's not strictly a vegan book but it's an amazing read about the cultural reasons people eat animals and the ethical problems with it: http://www.amazon.ca/Eating-Animals-Jonathan-Safran-Foer/dp/0316069884/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392440650&sr=1-1&keywords=eating+animals

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittney View Post

I just order Becoming Vegan: the complete guide, and I was curious on what other good vegan beginners books or cookbook are out there? smiley.gif

Brittney, thank you for starting this thread. I was thinking about starting a thread like this. I have access to 4 libraries in 2 systems, one of which is a central (read big) library with a lot of books the smaller branches may not have. It's only slightly embarrassing when you have 1 book on hold, and you have checked out 6-7 books.:rolleyes:  I've checked out Main Street Vegan, Pure Vegan, Appetite For Reduction, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Low-Fat Vegan Cooking, And Bake and Destroy. What I have on hold right now is what happens when you are bored and inside due to bad weather.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tempeh-Cookbook-Dorothy-Bates/dp/0913990655/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392481881&sr=8-1&keywords=tempeh+cookbook

The Tempeh Cookbook  1989

I found this at my library and while I'm not a tempeh fan, the way the recipes were laid out really looked good.

They are really good, and the step by step directions are the best! You can substitute tempeh for tofu, seitan or in most recipes, beans. Or just leave it out.

There aren't any recipes in the "look inside" feature, just the intro and table of contents.

I will be buying this, and recommend you see if your library has it! It's as much a learn to cook book as it is a well put together recipe book.

Very innovative recipes.

It does have some dairy but it can all be left out or subbed.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Brittney, thank you for starting this thread. I was thinking about starting a thread like this. I have access to 4 libraries in 2 systems, one of which is a central (read big) library with a lot of books the smaller branches may not have. It's only slightly embarrassing when you have 1 book on hold, and you have checked out 6-7 books.rolleyes.gif   I've checked out Main Street Vegan, Pure Vegan, Appetite For Reduction, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Low-Fat Vegan Cooking, And Bake and Destroy. What I have on hold right now is what happens when you are bored and inside due to bad weather.

Thanks for the suggestions. All I want to do when it's bad weather is read! Lol
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Thank you much for all the suggestions everyone! My reading list just got a lot bigger!!
Purp likes this.
#9 Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

It's hard for me to pick just one favourite so here are a few!

Chloe's Kitchen: http://www.amazon.ca/Chloes-Kitchen-Delicious-Recipes-Making/dp/1451636741

The Vegan Stoner Cookbook: http://www.amazon.ca/Vegan-Stoner-Cookbook-Recipes-Munch/dp/1607744643/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392440561&sr=1-1&keywords=vegan+stoner

How It All Vegan! http://www.amazon.ca/How-All-Vegan-Irresistible-Animal-Free/dp/1551522535/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392440592&sr=1-1&keywords=how+it+all+vegan

And my favourite non-recipe book is Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, it's not strictly a vegan book but it's an amazing read about the cultural reasons people eat animals and the ethical problems with it: http://www.amazon.ca/Eating-Animals-Jonathan-Safran-Foer/dp/0316069884/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392440650&sr=1-1&keywords=eating+animals

I definitely want to read Eating Animals!!
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#10 Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I definitely want to read Eating Animals!!

It really is the best veg book I've read.
Purp likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#11 Old 02-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. All I want to do when it's bad weather is read! Lol

It's what I do when the weather is bad (I live in the Seattle area, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone familiar with Seattle weather):p 

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 02-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the veganomicon, but like others have said recipes are time consuming. It is possible to simplify them but hard to make yourself because they are delicious and it feels like failure. If you get it I strongly recommend the pineapple cashew quinoa as possibly the best food to share with nonvegans. I find I usually don't have the dedication to cook from there.
I've used the leaked vegan stoner recipes from the internet. I like the ease of the recipes but some of the ingredients are hard for me to find.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 PM
#14 Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I know I'll love the Oh She Glows cookbook that comes out in March. I haven't made anything from her blog that hasn't been delicious. Seriously, she's made my veganism so much easier. The recipes can be time-consuming sometimes, but totally worth it.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#15 Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I just got 16 books from my local library about veganism and vegan cooking and baking...Good thing it wasn't raining today, although if a polar vortex* hits us, I'm prepared to hunker down with my books and read about veganism...;)  In fact, just read and finished Mind If I Order The Cheese Burger today, and loaned it to my mom.

*Note: I live on the West Coast, where we aren't getting any polar vortexes (vortexi)? As much as we are getting rain and wind, again.  

#16 Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well, I just got 16 books from my local library about veganism and vegan cooking and baking...Good thing it wasn't raining today, although if a polar vortex* hits us, I'm prepared to hunker down with my books and read about veganism...;)  In fact, just read and finished Mind If I Order The Cheese Burger today, and loaned it to my mom.

*Note: I live on the West Coast, where we aren't getting any polar vortexes (vortexi)? As much as we are getting rain and wind, again.  

Just be sure you return or renew them on time!

I had about 20 books, cds, and dvds out and boy does Feb. go fast!

Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#17 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Just be sure you return or renew them on time!

I had about 20 books, cds, and dvds out and boy does Feb. go fast!

It sure does, thankfully. :rolleyes:  The Vegan diet isn't much of a problem for me. Leaving well enough alone, on the other hand...

Off topic: *Scratches Orchid's avatar behind the ears*

#18 Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Bracing for snow

Currently reading The Ancestors Diet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBQA5HA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1929242670&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1W4X4FBESG9W9CDCN7VM

It's a tough read. Very badly written wink3.gif He changes thoughts in mid sentence, duplicates page after page after PAGE of the same information (often word for word wink3.gif ) which makes it REALLY long.

BUT, that said, this is the most comprehensive book of plant based eating I've read yet (out of 30+) His study data is VERY current (mostly 2012-2013) and he explains in great detail why the current trend of Paleo is completely wrong in it's assertions, which I appreciated (basically that our Paleo ancestors didn't eat animals, they ate plants. They didn't eat animals until they were so stupid as to migrate into snow country and there was nothing else. Even then, they went extinct)

Its a good read if you can endure it. (Weird? wink3.gif )

Ken
Purp likes this.
#19 Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have too many cookbooks to list so I thought I would just show a photo of them lol.  I have acquired a few more since this photo.  "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions" has some really unique ideas for veganizing recipes.  I made a gluten free vegan gingerbread for my Mom for Christmas from that book and it called for cooked red lentils as a binder.  Believe it or not it really made the cake tender and spicy and wonderful! Even my omnivore husband liked it. I also made almond cheese from a recipe in that book that was really easy and successful (after I finally figured out what and where to find agar flakes).  I like the simplicity of the recipes from "Forks Over Knives" and I am a huge fan of beans which that book goes heavy on.  Not a huge fan of "The Joy of Vegan Baking" though as she goes heavy on the vegan butter which I do not use but if I play around with her recipes I can find a way around it usually.  

Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#20 Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I have too many cookbooks to list so I thought I would just show a photo of them lol.  I have acquired a few more since this photo.  "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions" has some really unique ideas for veganizing recipes.  I made a gluten free vegan gingerbread for my Mom for Christmas from that book and it called for cooked red lentils as a binder.  Believe it or not it really made the cake tender and spicy and wonderful! Even my omnivore husband liked it. I also made almond cheese from a recipe in that book that was really easy and successful (after I finally figured out what and where to find agar flakes).  I like the simplicity of the recipes from "Forks Over Knives" and I am a huge fan of beans which that book goes heavy on.  Not a huge fan of "The Joy of Vegan Baking" though as she goes heavy on the vegan butter which I do not use but if I play around with her recipes I can find a way around it usually.  

There is no such thing as too many cookbooks. I thought you knew that. :p

#21 Old 02-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There is no such thing as too many cookbooks. I thought you knew that. :p

lol that's true!  My husband is building me a small bookcase for the kitchen so my cookbooks don't crowd the counter.  Really he doesn't know this is a great excuse to buy more of them.  ;) 

Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#22 Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:

My husband is building me a small bookcase for the kitchen so my cookbooks don't crowd the counter.  

I pretty much only read Kindle books these days, at least in part because of storage. I find them easier to read and they are searchable.

When I do read a printed book I find myself wishing it were electronic...

Ken
Purp likes this.
#23 Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

I pretty much only read Kindle books these days, at least in part because of storage. I find them easier to read and they are searchable.

When I do read a printed book I find myself wishing it were electronic...

Ken

I am working up to trying one but know so little about them.  I notice that Barnes and Noble has Nook books, and Amazon.com has kindles.  Would a kindle work if I wanted something from Barnes and Noble?  I am really clueless with this stuff.  Can you safely read one in the bathtub or accidentally get it wet?  I know you can get free deals and so on with them.  Did it take you time to get used to?

Even as I learn medical coding in school I am having trouble pushing myself to use the electronic encoders and rely on the books too much.  I am so old fashioned that way.  But I understand that a kindle would save space, paper, maybe be better for the environment but I have to wonder about that because they don't last forever and they wouldn't degrade in a landfill, though they can be recycled but that takes energy.  IDK.  I might just break down and try one soon.  I suspect they will be the norm before long.

#24 Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:

I am working up to trying one but know so little about them.  I notice that Barnes and Noble has Nook books, and Amazon.com has kindles.  Would a kindle work if I wanted something from Barnes and Noble?  I am really clueless with this stuff.  

Individual devices (like Kindles or Nooks ) are design to sell Amazon or B&N books. I use the kindle, nook and iBooks apps on my iPad so I can get content from anywhere (though I tend to stick with Amazon) IPads are more expensive but it's my "computer" I use their browser (like to access VB wink3.gif ) their calendar' their email etc, so it's all in one, including my books. Probably Android devices have readers for kindle & nook as well.
Quote:

ICan you safely read one in the bathtub or accidentally get it wet?  I know you can get free deals and so on with them.

Not really. There are waterproof cases but....
Quote:

I Did it take you time to get used to?

I love my iPad and took right to it but it's been many years now so I may not recall all the initial angst wink3.gif I have maybe 500 books on my iPad now and it fits in my hand.
Quote:

IEven as I learn medical coding in school I am having trouble pushing myself to use the electronic encoders and rely on the books too much.  I am so old fashioned that way.  But I understand that a kindle would save space, paper, maybe be better for the environment but I have to wonder about that because they don't last forever and they wouldn't degrade in a landfill, though they can be recycled but that takes energy.  IDK.  I might just break down and try one soon.  I suspect they will be the norm before long.

I think they already are wink3.gif

Yeah, they age, but usually you can re task them (our first ones went to the grandkids) or donate them.

Ken
#25 Old 02-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

Individual devices (like Kindles or Nooks ) are design to sell Amazon or B&N books. I use the kindle, nook and iBooks apps on my iPad so I can get content from anywhere (though I tend to stick with Amazon) IPads are more expensive but it's my "computer" I use their browser (like to access VB wink3.gif ) their calendar' their email etc, so it's all in one, including my books. Probably Android devices have readers for kindle & nook as well.
Not really. There are waterproof cases but....
I love my iPad and took right to it but it's been many years now so I may not recall all the initial angst wink3.gif I have maybe 500 books on my iPad now and it fits in my hand.
I think they already are wink3.gif

Yeah, they age, but usually you can re task them (our first ones went to the grandkids) or donate them.

Ken

Thanks so much for all the helpful info Ken!  I didn't realize an ipad could do all that.  I still have an ancient cell phone lol.  No tablets or ipads yet.  Sounds like a better investment than the individual kindles or nookbooks though.

#26 Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Bracing for snow

There's actually a lot of convergence. Devices that used to be dedicated book readers like Kindle, have expanded into the general tablet space with things like Kindle Fire, which has a browser, supports some email and runs some apps (small programs)

It comes down to what you want to do. How you want it to look (Apple's new Retina displays are terrific) and of course, how much you can afford.

For my money, iPads (mine is now a gen 2 Mini) offer the most complete package, but they are also the most expensive.

Best bet is to head to an electronics store where you can compare features, then go read up on the ones you like. There is no shortage of editorial reviews for these things. They'll (usually) point out the good, the bad and the ugly wink3.gif

Good luck with the hunt,

Ken
Naturebound likes this.
#27 Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM

One of my favorite cookbooks is "The Flavor Bible". It doesn't actually have recipes though. It is a big list of ingredients. After each ingredient is information about the taste, when it is in season, and suggestions for other foods and spices that go well with it. You simply find an ingredient you want to start with and then you get creative. The very best thing is that a new version called "The Vegetarian Flavor Bible will be released in October. I can't wait!

I LOVE myKindle and iPad too!!! Most of the time I use the free Kindle app on my iPhone though. It is just always with me.
Purp likes this.
#28 Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 AM

Ii'm going back to sleep now. I'm very sleepy!!!
Purp likes this.
#29 Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyKat View Post

. The very best thing is that a new version called "The Vegetarian Flavor Bible will be released in October. I can't wait!

Thanks for the heads up! Just preordered it. Sounds like just my kind of thing.

While I can follow recipes, I rarely do. wink3.gif This sounds more like the way I cook.

Ken
#30 Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Bracing for snow

After some back and forth with the author, I understand somehow a prerelease version was somehow released. This has been fixed and I now recommend thus book without reservation. Outstanding discussion of all things nutrition.

Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page