Vegan art supplies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew if Sharpie brand permanent markers have animal/ingredients in the ink? )ie-for pigmentation etc.) because I run a small business selling bowls/mugs/plates etc. with hand-drawn designs currently done in Sharpies. I have contacted the company via their website and Facebook page yet received no response unfortunately :/ I have tried many vegan forums and not one person has been able to answer me either. I asked on Yahoo Answers out of desperation and only had ridiculous answers along the lines of "they are made of plastic and plastic comes from dinosaurs" and "it's just ink, it can only be oil in a pen" etc. 
If anybody knows, it would mean the world to me! 
If nobody can find out however, does anybody on here know of a brand of permanent markers (available in the UK) that can draw on a plate for example and then be baked on in the oven without fear of it washing off over time and are, of course, vegan? 
Thank you very much,
Leia C Urquhart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leia C Urquhart View Post

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew if Sharpie brand permanent markers have animal/ingredients in the ink? )ie-for pigmentation etc.) because I run a small business selling bowls/mugs/plates etc. with hand-drawn designs currently done in Sharpies. I have contacted the company via their website and Facebook page yet received no response unfortunately :/ I have tried many vegan forums and not one person has been able to answer me either. I asked on Yahoo Answers out of desperation and only had ridiculous answers along the lines of "they are made of plastic and plastic comes from dinosaurs" and "it's just ink, it can only be oil in a pen" etc. 

If anybody knows, it would mean the world to me! 

If nobody can find out however, does anybody on here know of a brand of permanent markers (available in the UK) that can draw on a plate for example and then be baked on in the oven without fear of it washing off over time and are, of course, vegan? 

Thank you very much,

Leia C Urquhart

Hmm, that is a tricky question! I'm usually a pretty good Google wizard but all the search terms I tried came up with nothing.

However I did find something you might find useful, a vegan on Pinterest was kind enough to compile a collection of vegan art supplies which includes some markers and pens: http://www.pinterest.com/veganizedlife/art-supply-junkie/

Sharpie water based markers are on the list so I assume they contacted the company to confirm they're animal-friendly.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Hmm, that is a tricky question! I'm usually a pretty good Google wizard but all the search terms I tried came up with nothing.

However I did find something you might find useful, a vegan on Pinterest was kind enough to compile a collection of vegan art supplies which includes some markers and pens: http://www.pinterest.com/veganizedlife/art-supply-junkie/

Sharpie water based markers are on the list so I assume they contacted the company to confirm they're animal-friendly.

Thanks, I have asked the person if they know about the oil-based Sharpies on Pinterest and on their Facebook page.When they reply, I'll post my response here so others can search for this and actually get an answer. x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Not vegan

Sharpies contain animal derived ingredients and the company that owns that brand (and also prismacolor) tests on animals.
#5 Old 08-19-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianap.826 View Post
Sharpies contain animal derived ingredients and the company that owns that brand (and also prismacolor) tests on animals.
If Sharpies contain animal derived ingredients and test on animals. Is that something that Sharpie did in the past or is this current ongoing information? Is there any legitimate source that can be referenced to support this?
#6 Old 08-19-2020, 09:54 AM

Any evidence that can be referenced?

If Sharpies contain animal derived ingredients and test on animals. Is that something that Sharpie did in the past or is this current ongoing information? Is there any legitimate source that can be referenced to support this?
#7 Old 08-24-2020, 07:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by media_blaze View Post
Newell Rubbermaid, the company that owns Sharpie markers, doesn't fully disclose their ingredients. As required by law, they do partly disclose their ingredients on their Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS): https://content.oppictures.com/Maste...30001_MSDS.PDF. The MSDS says that Sharpie markers contain butanol, propanol, diacetone alcohol, ethanol, pigments, dyes, and additives.

Butanol is industrially produced from fossil fuel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanol#Production .

Propanol is industrially produced by catalytic hydrogenation of propionaldehyde: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Propanol#Preparation, which in turn is produced by hydroformylation of ethylene. While I'm not a chemist, I can say with assurance that hydrogen and ethylene are both produced industrially from fossil fuel distillates, not from animals.

Diacetone alcohol is made by barium hydroxide condensation of acetone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetone_alcohol. Barium is mined from the ground. It isn't found in healthy animal tissues. Acetone is synthesized from petroleum distillates.

Ethanol is "liquor alcohol", made from fermentation of plant starches. It can also be chemically synthesized.

The pigments, dyes, and additives could be animal derived, I suppose. This wouldn't be good design, though - animal tissues are biodegradable - not good for permanent markers.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page