Soups I can freeze - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 PM

I look on the Internet for vegan soups I can freeze and all I get is how I can make a soup with bacon and so forth. I have been eating a lot of can soups and now my cholesterol is 240 so I need to make a vegan soup I can freeze any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi lostsoul65. Most soups freeze really well, except the ones with potatoes, the freezing changes the texture and they taste kind of mealy. Split pea soup is just about always in my freezer, as is lentil. With my soups, I don't really follow a recipe, it depends what I have in the kitchen smiley.gif

This site looks like it has some good soups and freezing tips. http://vegangela.com/tag/freezer-friendly/
Good luck! smiley.gif
#3 Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Thank you, No potatoes, lentil and spilt peas, so I will go to the store tomorrow and buy a bunch of veggies and experiment. I have a problem with seasoning, and I guess I should put a little virgin oil in it to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul65 View Post

Thank you, No potatoes, lentil and spilt peas, so I will go to the store tomorrow and buy a bunch of veggies and experiment. I have a problem with seasoning, and I guess I should put a little virgin oil in it to.

If you're in the US, in the spice aisle is a product called Mrs Dash, which is a mix of spices, salt-free. There are lots of different flavors. Grab one of those that look good, a yellow onion, a bag of split peas or lentils, and any combination of carrots, celery, tomato, depending on what is a good price and what looks good. The leaves of celery are divine in most soups. Or use a bag of mixed frozen veggies (not broccoli or cauliflower though, too strong-tasting). You'll need some salt too. Some bags of split peas come with a vegan flavor packet called "ham flavoring" and that makes it really easy, you can skip the mrs dash and salt if it's that kind. Before you cook the soup, chop up the onion in biggish pieces and cook it in a little oil for a few minutes, then add the other ingredients and water. Have fun whatever you cook! Put joy in the food while cooking it, and just laugh off any failures, it's not life or death. Cooking vegan can be really fun, quick, and easy.
#5 Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've frozen soups with potato and think they're fine. I wonder if it's the type makes a difference? I've been using more of the round white and red ones instead of the russet. 

One thing I like to do with soup is chop some of the veggies really fine so they cook down and season it more- like the celery, and onions, and grating some potato will thicken it.

Wait Led... some of that "ham" seasoning I should check? I will!

Canned soups are pretty awful, but if you want something to keep on hand check out Tabatchnick soups, many are vegan-- they're frozen.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page