Have you ever fallen off the vegan wagon? Why? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Zelda Freak

So, after being vegan for over a year and a half, I totally fell off the wagon two weeks ago. I broke up with the boyfriend of 5 years which I was ready for, or so I thought, then I totally freaked out about it. 

I wasn't eating (I'm not an over-eater when I get depressed, but an under-eater) so I went to the store and milled around and got peanut butter MNMs and crackers which I didn't even read the box of, and I'm fairly sure were NOT vegan. 

I'm not a huge candy fan actually, but peanut butter MNMs were like my teen years comfort food, which is likely why I caved. 

I felt bad about it though. 

It's not like I ate a steak or melted cheese, but seriously, what is wrong with me? I'm doing better now so doubt I'll cave again. 

Have you ever fallen off the vegan wagon? Why? 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM

Nope never fallen off the wagon in the 10 months I have been vegan.

Jennifer I really wouldn't worry about a couple of small items like that, I certainly won't be calling the vegan police!

Oh and I hope everything is better for you now.

Love & peace!
#3 Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 PM

I'm sorry you fell off the wagon and I am sorry about your reaction to the breakup. (I am going through a divorce after 16 years of marriage and although I wanted it, there are a myriad of emotions that I go through, too.  So you have my sympathies!)

I just went vegan a little over a month ago and I will admit that after a particularly trying weekend, yesterday I picked up some of the kid's shredded cheese and shoved it in my mouth.  One moment of weakness, an evening of regret and then a moment of self forgiveness.  I am just moving on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

hug.gif for Jen.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

I think I've already mentioned my slip off the wagon earlier this year.

I was at a food and drink festival, drunk and seriously hungry, the only veggie option was egg noodles.  I ate them and was constipated for nearly a week.  Karma :-)

#6 Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

All the frigging time. Just today, I bought Montreal style bagels and then I verified if it was vegan. The reverse would probably work better. :brood: 

I still have a learning curve to climb.

#7 Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Only once when i was terribly sick and i mean terribly! 

i had to take lots of aleve for a strong fever, and pepto bismol bad stomach problems

never again i tell you! :cry: 

#8 Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

*~ Hugs Jen ~* I'm going through some serious boyfriend issues right now .... I am very sad sad.gif Long story short his dad thinks I turned his son into a vegan pansey .... I never fell off the vegan wagon > although , I had just recently dreamt that I was eating an ice cream cone ....
#9 Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I only have trouble now in specific situations: if the store is ready to close and there are nonvegan, last-date-of-sale, reduced-price items in the bakery section. I sometimes buy something, rationalizing that they'll only be thrown out and that I'm not really increasing the demand...

I might have thought that being 99.99% vegan would work for me, but when I remember how it was when I first started transitioning, I know the kinda-sorta-mostly-vegan approach would just give me an excuse to get sloppy and cheat a lot. Maybe I just need a (pleather) boot to my backside. (Anything but watching "Earthlings")

(I'm sorry about your breakup, Jen.)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

When i was in the deeeep **** and psychologicaly tired, got to a supermarket and couldn't bother choosing stuff, just took what i wanted, sweets, biscuits, cheese, stuff like that. Another time it was a cheese pizza. In X years of being veggie and in this not happening in X years, i'm ok with myself. Not proud, but not gonna jump from a roof for that. And if i have serious health issues, even if i care i will still take medicine tested on animals. 

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#11 Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Sorry to about your break-up Jeniffer. Don't feel bad about falling off the wagon, being vegan isn't super hard but that doesn't mean that it is always easy.  Fairly recently I had some cheese. My husband and I decided to take a sudden vacation during Christmas week, because we booked the trip so suddenly we didn't look up any restaurants in the area ahead of time and we didn't make any reservations, (with the exception of our hotel of course). When we got to our destination we were surprised to see it so busy. We did OK food wise our first night, but the next day was another story. Lunch time hit, (noon where we were, but based on the time zone we had just come from it was 3:00), and we were really hungry. Everywhere we tried to get a bite we were told "no walk-in's, reservations only", or "60 minute wait". We finally found a place with a 20 minute wait, I didn't even bother looking at the menu, (I figured there had to be something on there for me), and I made a few work related calls while I waited for the table. It turned out to be a comfort food restaurant, they had no salad, (I was shocked), and no side veggies like I usually find at most places. They did have 1 vegetarian dish, but it had cheese, and apparently it was a necessary ingredient. Not wanting to upset my husband by leaving, and with myself being so hungry, I went ahead and ordered the dish. It ended up making me sick. :sick:  I didn't have any problems finding food after that, I spotted a Mexican place that always had empty spaces at the bar even when the restaurant seating was full.

I think the longer I am vegan the easier it will be to plan meals ahead for vacations, and to ask that a vegan dish be made, (I am still too shy to ask at restaurants). So far I haven't had a life experience that has caused me to falter, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen, (of course I hope it won't).

#12 Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

:hug:  I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, Jennifer. I'm still fairly new to veganism, and I'm sure I'll cave from time to time (intentionally or not). Just read my tagline and remember that no one is perfect.

EDIT: I think I accidentally not on purpose gave everyone ideas for comfort food in the "Desserts-Cakes" thread. *hangs head in shame*

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#13 Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Beating oneself up for succumbing to a craving during a time of emotional distress is *not vegan*. :notvegan:

Jennifer C likes this.
#14 Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

Beating oneself up for succumbing to a craving during a time of emotional distress is *not vegan*. :notvegan:

Good point, humans are animals after all. 

@Jennifer C, I hereby forbid you from feeling ashamed about anything until you get through this difficult time. You are a wonderful person and we all love you and you deserve to be happy. :hug: 

#15 Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I've done stuff like that - where I was just in a daze and for some reason I thought something I bought was vegan but it wasn't. There have been a few times I've bought stuff that I knew wasn't vegan but I just didn't care. Always just small amounts of dairy or eggs or gelatin or something like that - never anything like a piece of dead animal or slab of cheese. But yeah, it's happened. 

Just forgive yourself and move on. It's difficult living in a nonvegan world. We make mistakes. 

You may find comfort in this podcast from Colleen Patrick-Goudrea: http://www.compassionatecook.com/writings/podcast-media/being-vegan-is-a-means-to-an-end-it-is-not-an-end-in-itself

#16 Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

I had just recently dreamt that I was eating an ice cream cone ....

I sometimes have dreams I'm eating dairy ice-cream (a recurring dream), and when I wake up I always feel really sick!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time Jennifer.

#17 Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 AM

I haven't knowingly fallen off the wagon, but i have had vivid dreams of hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, cheese, and chicken strips. In my dream I will  know I am vegan, and still grab the food, like I can't help myself. It never tastes as good as i expect though.... :think:

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
#18 Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a retreat where everything were supposed to be vegetarian, but after I'd eaten half of a bowl of soup the host tells me it's lacto-vegetarian. I finished the soup and cried a little afterwards, but that was my first mishap so I think it's understandable. ... I've also accidentally eaten honey at one occasion and margarine which I -think- contained animal-derived vitamin D (two occasions).

It's important for me to remember these events because they motivate me to not let it happen again. I've been vegan six months and considering the steep learning curve I think I've been pretty good at being as strict as possible. If I accidentally consume something today I don't cry, but I would think about it a bit and it would certainly bother me. Since the first time though, I've only been more motivated after realizing my mistake. My mistakes make me even more convinced that veganism is the right path for me (and humankind, lol).

#19 Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Zelda Freak

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing I'm not the only human on earth to do this. I'm feeling much better now and actually one good thing came out of this. When it happened (falling off the wagon) I told some friends and now they're all asking, "Hey, are you ok and back on the wagon... here's some vegan food" AND I'm talking even my die-hard meat eating friends who hate vegan stuff are doing this. 

I'm really surprised that they're so nice and helpful about it. It's an amazing thing to have that cool of friends. So, perk ---> feel so bad people finally accept your diet just to make you feel better! Go depression. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#20 Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 AM

It's great to hear that your friends are comforting you by encouraging you to get 'back on the wagon', they are good friends indeed. :up:

#21 Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing I'm not the only human on earth to do this.

I'm really glad you are feeling better, Jennifer. I was hesitant to bring this up before because I did not want to sound callous but I personally hate the wagon metaphor because it's linked to the idea of succumbing to addiction/compulsion. Even when I am imperfect I do not cease to be vegan if my motivation to "suck less"* remains intact.  In fact, imperfection can be a motivator!

*http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/vegan-means-im-trying-to-suck-less-shirt/ ==> negative utilitarianism

Jennifer C likes this.
#22 Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM

I was vegan for about a year right after my daughter was born. I was living in the deep south and would get berated constantly -- by family, friends, and coworkers. Once day I just got so depressed about everything (the animals, the *******s in my life), and I ate a bacon chicken ranch sandwich from Subway. I stayed off the wagon for years and years, with only intermittent periods of veganism, until the end of 2013 when I decided to juice veggies and fruits to detox my system and go back on the path that's right for me. It makes me feel better morally, like I'm doing a kindness, and it sure helps my body not feel like a garbage bin. I'm very lucky to have a (mostly) supportive boyfriend, who, though he is not vegan, has been cooking me meals here or there, and giving me ideas of things to cook, and when he suggests restaurants he always considers what, if anything, I could eat if we went there. 

I'm  happy to be back.

#23 Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess tofu View Post

It makes me feel better morally, like I'm doing a kindness,

I'm also an ex-ex-vegan. The ethical clarity of being vegan makes me feel better too.

#24 Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm really glad you are feeling better, Jennifer. I was hesitant to bring this up before because I did not want to sound callous but I personally hate the wagon metaphor because it's linked to the idea of succumbing to addiction/compulsion. Even when I am imperfect I do not cease to be vegan if my motivation to "suck less"* remains intact.  In fact, imperfection can be a motivator!

*http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/vegan-means-im-trying-to-suck-less-shirt/ ==> negative utilitarianism

That really means a  lot to me! 

I haven't used the term vegan IRL for the last year. I've been kind of a mess with job change and reduced finances.

It came to a head when it seemed like I ran out of everything I'd stockpiled at the same time, and Dr. Bronners liquid castile is horrible to shower with (IMO)

I was too cheap to spend $3.00 a bar of soap, and found Yardley for a quarter. It said no animal testing so I bought it. Yeah, sodium tallow is tallow. 

I used it up, it was awful--didn't last either.

Anyway, I'm beginning to see your point of view more unethical v.

I think I'm due for some advocacy.

But anyway, somehow that experience helped me cheese in a new light. I only avoid it for ethics, I've had to constently remind myself that dairy is worse than beef.

After the soap incident I found cheddar in the fridge (sons) and felt disgust. FINALLY!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#25 Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

After the soap incident I found cheddar in the fridge (sons) and felt disgust. FINALLY!

It's always great when the palate catches up with the ethics!

#26 Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's always great when the palate catches up with the ethics!

It kinda weird actually how the palate changes this way. I think that's cognitive dissonance doing this(one of those rare times when it's good for something). Our acceptance that eating animal products was unethical and our active efforts to avoid them are conflicting with our tastes for them and so as a defense mechanism our tastes change to eliminate the contradiction. I'm fairly sure that's how it is at least in my case because I often feel appealed by the smell of some meat based meals during the short moment it takes me to identify what is. I assume that if my disgust was genuine, it would be immediate. I suppose I can't completely erase 26 years of social conditioning. It's probably easier for native vegs.

It's unfortunate that in general cognitive dissonance does the opposite. That people instead tend to undermine the suffering of animals and to exaggerate their taste for meat to conform with the fact that they are already eating it.

#27 Old 01-08-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

It kinda weird actually how the palate changes this way. I think that's cognitive dissonance doing this(one of those rare times when it's good for something).

I think there is some cognitive dissonance but also some real reprogramming of our cognitive response to taste/smell.

#28 Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think there is some cognitive dissonance but also some real reprogramming of our cognitive response to taste/smell.

Here's a short article about how taste buds do change: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/changing-our-taste-buds.html

unethicalvegan and Linnie like this.
#29 Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't say you fell off the wagon over that. You just had a little slip. Last time I fell off, we had been drinking heavily, I was really getting along with these friends and wanted to become better friends. Everything was happening quickly and I was drunk. Jello shots came out and I went ahead and took one because it would have been awkward not to, figuring I could extend my blind eye toward wine ingredients to all alcohol. I felt really dirty the next day and kept wondering how long it would take for every single molecule of gelatin to leave my body. Next time I will do better, and that's really all we can say. I'm sorry you are going through hard times. Don't beat yourself up overly much please.
#30 Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid View Post

Quote:

Here's a short article about how taste buds do change: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/changing-our-taste-buds.html

Great article, very interesting. smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page