Friends With Meat-based Business - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Okay, so two of my good friends have started a sandwich company - and absolutely EVERYTHING on the menu has meat in it. The only vegetarian option is a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich, and there is not a single vegan item on the menu, not one. The soups, despite being vegetable, are all made with chicken stock. I complained about there not being anything vegan on the menu, and the soup thing (just use mushroom stock for God's sake!) but they are of the mind that "if it doesn't have meat in it, it's bland and gross and people won't buy it". 

Needless to say, I have not "liked" their company on facebook nor have I helped promote it (despite them asking me to do so). 

Of course, I do feel conflicted about this - despite their attitude, these people are my friends and have been for years. It's not like I want their business to be unsuccessful, but also, man, I'm a VEGAN and it's my hope that we as a species can STOP eating and using animals as we do, an ideal which is in direct opposition to my friends' business. 

Just as an aside on this topic, one of my best friend's (since we were little boys) dads is a butcher. Their family eats INSANE amounts of animal products. Ugh.

ALSO... One of my best mates here has started a kind of charity/support group for local people in unfortunate circumstances, which of course is fantastic. However, almost ALL the fundraising activities involve meat products of some kind. "Come buy a bacon-beef-turkey-triple cheese burger from XXXXX and we'll donate $1 to (my friend's charity)." "Bob's Sausages supplorts (this charity)" "Tim's Fried Chicken supports (this charity)." I went to their Xmas party last weekend and out of all the entire, massive spread of food on the table, literally the ONLY thing I could eat was celery sticks and hummus. I kinda wanted to jump up onto the table and yell at all the people who were talking about spreading love and happiness and all that, while stuffing their faces full of chicken, turkey, bacon, ham, steak, etc, "you can't preach peace and love when violence is on your plates!". But people here just *don't* get it. 

Ugh, okay, rant over. Are any of you guys in similar situations? How do you guys deal with stuff like this?

My blog and e-novel store:  www.JonathanMHemmings.com  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Give peas a chance

Are they in Taiwan? Subway Sandwiches is in Taiwan. I would point out their competitor offers a vegetarian/vegan sandwich. Obviously there is a market for it.

I wouldn't feel bad about not publicly 'liking' their business. They aren't trying to earn it by offering anything you can eat, so why worry about it.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#3 Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

You could always just make some vegan soup, sandwiches and muffins, invite your friends around (the ones with the sandwich company and the one who's into charity). Get them to eat it. Tell them of the decreased monetary costs used to make it. Then watch them suddenly start to consider it.

They may not.

But here's what I never understand with any food place, if they don't cater to vegetarians, they do realise that they're missing a larger market than JUST the vegetarians, right?

Every time I go out to eat with friends, we go somewhere with vegetarian/vegan options. Even though I'm outnumbered, usually by at least 5 to 1, my vegetarianism is the deciding factor on where the entire group goes to eat.

At work, the guys who eat halal and kosher are happy to have me around when it comes to catering because why? Oh, that's right, if it's vegetarian (and especially if it's vegan) it's more likely to be something they can eat as well.

Even if you don't feel like discussing that aspect with your friends, you still shouldn't feel bad about not promoting their business.

If they ask you, again, to help promote it say to them " I'm not comfortable promoting a business that promotes meat eating and at that, doesn't have one vegan option. I don't want you to fail, but I'm not promoting your business".

Or, take the hardline approach "I'm a vegan. You run a business where even your vegetable soup has meat in it. Exactly how much do you think I want to promote that?"

There's nothing wrong with explaining why you won't 'Like' something on Facebook or promote it. I've done that with my friends, they know that I will never 'like' one of their stupid bacon joke memes or pictures of their food with carcass on it. If you explain it in an inoffensive way (as much as possible, some people get mightily offended if you dare to bring up the whole "Uhhh, remember? I don't think it's right to eat meat, that's why I don't eat meat") then hopefully it will all work out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page