Beyoncé and Jay Z Are Going Vegan for 22 Days: "It Just Feels Right," Rapper Says of Their New Diet - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

While his tone is certainly very snarky I do think he brings up an excellent point. It's upsetting to see Beyonce still wearing fur but at least they are trying a plant based diet and hopefully influencing their fans opinions on vegan food.

I agree and following a plant based diet is not the same as being vegan.  However,  to go to what is presumably a vegan restaurant wearing fur is gobsmackingly stupid.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

I agree and following a plant based diet is not the same as being vegan.  However,  to go to what is presumably a vegan restaurant wearing fur is gobsmackingly stupid.

laugh.gif I said something similar in my last post, that was a pretty dumb move.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#33 Old 12-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

^^^^ cross posts, we were commenting at the same time

*great minds and all that!*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

*sigh* That is extremely irritating.

I'm happy they're at least not eating animal products but they clearly still have a lot to learn about compassion for other species. Maybe someone should send them a copy of Earthlings....

Edit: My Vegan Journal just posted this quote on Facebook that certainly makes you think:
While his tone is certainly very snarky I do think he brings up an excellent point. It's upsetting to see Beyonce still wearing fur but at least they are trying a plant based diet and hopefully influencing their fans opinions on vegan food.

Did you see that My Vegan Journal deleted the comment because they got so many hateful comments about saying that?

I kind of get the mean comments. 

Someone says, "I'm going to stop eating meat and animal products for at least 22 days"

My take is we should be happy to hear that. Then...

Someone else says, "Don't bother even trying because - YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG." 

That's kind of rude and I think we should be glad for small successes, which frankly often lead to bigger successes. If every new vegetarian or vegan who was put down by a more experienced vegetarian or vegan decided to quit without even trying, we'd have a lot fewer vegetarians and vegans I'd wager. 

Do I think wearing fur (and all those other animals) rocks? No, of course not. But still small steps are better than no steps at all. 

Ewe Nanny and natty6 like this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#35 Old 12-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Baby steps are for babies.
#36 Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Did you see that My Vegan Journal deleted the comment because they got so many hateful comments about saying that?

I kind of get the mean comments. 

Someone says, "I'm going to stop eating meat and animal products for at least 22 days"
My take is we should be happy to hear that. Then...

Someone else says, "Don't bother even trying because - YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG." 

That's kind of rude and I think we should be glad for small successes, which frankly often lead to bigger successes. If every new vegetarian or vegan who was put down by a more experienced vegetarian or vegan decided to quit without even trying, we'd have a lot fewer vegetarians and vegans I'd wager. 

Do I think wearing fur (and all those other animals) rocks? No, of course not. But still small steps are better than no steps at all. 

I did see that post was deleted, it was because so many people were misunderstanding the quote. To me it was a sarcastic statement that was basically saying what you are saying, just in a snarky way. A lot of people didn't see it that way unfortunately... I guess sarcasm doesn't always translate well online.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#37 Old 12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

I did see that post was deleted, it was because so many people were misunderstanding the quote. To me it was a sarcastic statement that was basically saying what you are saying, just in a snarky way. A lot of people didn't see it that way unfortunately... I guess sarcasm doesn't always translate well online.

I got the meaning straight away, even with a hangover :) *is clearly super human*

Blobbenstein likes this.
#38 Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Or normal everyday adults too. Not everyone accomplishes things perfectly the first time. Unless you know a bunch of super-perfect humans I don't. 

Quote:

I guess sarcasm doesn't always translate well online.

Yeah it's hard to be sarcastic and have it pass online. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#39 Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

It seams to be a universal of every movements that some of those who are the deepest in it will spend more energy vilifying their allies for their lukewarmness than actually advocating their cause.

It's both extremely annoying and counterproductive.

#40 Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 AM
Banned

She does rather provoke comment with her outfits though.  A little bit of sensitivity towards other customers wouldn't go amiss, I'm sure she must have some items of clothing that aren't made out of animals?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2519769/Beyonc-steps-vegan-meal-dressed-head-toe-leather-diva-tries-support-husband-Jay-Zs-meat-free-lifestyle.html

Are you kidding? On Friday, Beyoncé was spotted at vegan hot spot Crossroads dressed head to toe in leather

#41 Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh gosh it does look terrible.

#42 Old 12-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Now this attitude really, really annoys me.

Some people jump straight in. Some people take baby steps, Some people go vegan immediately, others spend years becoming vegetarian or vegan.

You're attitude is that unless they go vegan in one jump (i.e. the way YOU view as the only way), then it's not good enough. They might just as well not bother. They might just as well carry on with their lifestyle of abusing animals.

Is that really the effect you're going for?

ANY step, big or small, is an improvement. Yes, in an ideal world it would be wonderful for everyone to go vegan now, immediately, But it's not going to happen. Any steps made (whether 'baby steps'  or taking part in Meat Free Mondays) is a step in right direction. Even if they never get further than meat free Mondays they are still making a difference.

I'm not sure how old you are but in some of your posts you come across as quite young, so maybe I should be more forgiving, but the truth is that it is this type of attitude that stops people even trying to cut out animal products - because they are afraid that they can never ready the heady heights that all the 'perfect' vegans have reached.

Jennifer C likes this.
#43 Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 AM

No baby steps are definitely for babies hence the name.

I think by encouraging people to take baby steps is insulting to their intelligence and their ability to make choices as adults.

In this case they are not vegan and have no interest in being vegan. They are trying to be on a plant based diet for 22 days they have no intention to be vegan. I would love the world to go onto a plant based diet but I really don't think being on a plant based diet for 22 days is even a baby step.

If you encourage people to take baby steps you are essentially saying they have no ability to do what they think is right.
#44 Old 12-07-2013, 07:37 AM

And no meat free Mondays aren't a step in the right direction they are a step in entirely the wrong direction. Meat free Mondays is dangerous as it allows those who deep down no that consuming meat is morally wrong and get out of jail clause.

'Hey I do my bit I don't eat meat on a Monday!'

'Hey I do my bit I only eat organic, free range meat!'

If people are choosing to eat less meat on a Monday they obviously understand to some extent what they are doing is wrong so why not encourage them to be meat free everyday.

It boils my piss how people are so scared to promote veganism to people in case it 'turns them away'. If they are 'turned off' veganism because it is too much or too 'extreme' them how on earth are baby steps going to work?
#45 Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 AM

And don't patronise me. I'm 29 and would hazard a guess that I have seen far more of the world than you ever will.
#46 Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Banned

#47 Old 12-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No baby steps are definitely for babies hence the name.

I think by encouraging people to take baby steps is insulting to their intelligence and their ability to make choices as adults.

In this case they are not vegan and have no interest in being vegan. They are trying to be on a plant based diet for 22 days they have no intention to be vegan. I would love the world to go onto a plant based diet but I really don't think being on a plant based diet for 22 days is even a baby step.

If you encourage people to take baby steps you are essentially saying they have no ability to do what they think is right.

We all have different circumstances. If I remember some of your previous posts, your partner was already vegan and you a vegetarian when you decided to go vegan.

Do you realise that that made it easier for you?

Others don't have the same support that you had.

It's easy to judge others, harder to actually accept that for some people, in some families, in some circumstances, in some environments, it's much harder than you could ever imagine.  So if they take baby steps, then at least they're moving in the right direction. I'm not saying you shouldn't encourage them to move further towards veganism - but I am saying that being judgemental doesn't help animals.

And yes, that's what I'm concerned about - the animals. I don't care about the purity of the vegan/vegetarian labels, I don't care that they should have called themselves 'plant based' instead of vegan (although the little i have read about them, they are using the words 'plant based' - it is the media using the word 'vegan') - if they give up after 22 days but influence just ONE of their fans to go onto a plant based, vegetarian or vegan diet, then it's a (baby) step forward.

They are obviously not doing it because of animal rights but instead for personal reasons, so expecting them to conform to your personal reasons and standards doesn't make much sense.

We all have to make the choices that fit in with our conscience and our environment - if that's baby steps or a big leap to being the perfect vegan, then so be it.

Regarding your comment about being plant-based not even being a baby step - put yourself in an animal's place.  Do you think they would think the same, or would they be grateful for people going on a plant-based diet? What do you think an animal thinks about someone who goes veg*n for environmental or personal health reasons - do you think the animals would care about WHY people go veg*n/plant based, or just be grateful at the end result?

#48 Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And don't patronise me. I'm 29 and would hazard a guess that I have seen far more of the world than you ever will.

29 is still very young, you know  :D 

I didn't mean to patronise, and I apologise if it came off that way - but I have read a few aggressive posts of yours, and that often comes from  a youthful perspective. I appreciate in your case it probably comes from passion for the cause.

But it still doesn't give you the right to tell others how they must proceed when it comes to eating less meat, and disparaging those who don't do it 'the right way'.

#49 Old 12-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

And no meat free Mondays aren't a step in the right direction they are a step in entirely the wrong direction. Meat free Mondays is dangerous as it allows those who deep down no that consuming meat is morally wrong and get out of jail clause.

If people are choosing to eat less meat on a Monday they obviously understand to some extent what they are doing is wrong so why not encourage them to be meat free everyday.

It boils my piss how people are so scared to promote veganism to people in case it 'turns them away'. If they are 'turned off' veganism because it is too much or too 'extreme' them how on earth are baby steps going to work?

That type at attitude would be fine if ending animal exploitation was the last thing people needed to concern themselves about. It's not. 

Some people are attuned to AR, others to the million other areas that require their attention. 

I admire you for your dedication, but your personal experiences are yours alone, and unless you're perfect in every other aspect of living, you have no right to judge others.

It took my over 40 years to stand tall and walk the talk of a vegetarian. I still have too many trips in being vegan.

I would choose acceptance of vegan living as a higher priority than preaching about animal rights. As it stands, people don't view it as all around better. They're still viewing the idea of giving up the use of animals as "elite", encumbering, difficult, expensive, and not as satisfactory as using them for food, research, and of course using them as "commodities" is a result of needing to separate their "animal loving" with need.

In reality, people learn to conform to what's popular. That's why the livestock business hates the meatless offerings, even when combined with meat. People slowly (baby stepping) get used to meals being different. When veggie burgers are offered at cookouts, meateaters will choose them. The fact is now, vegetarian choices are not common. Why do think places that cater to vegans have expanding vegan populations?

If you free an animal from a research cage it will be replaced. If you get others to want them free you'll save them all.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#50 Old 12-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Good way to get press: go plant -based and then start debates by wearing the tackiest dead animal crap you can find. Probably a seal hat next, or she will put the baby in leather diaper covers. Good going, publicist.
#51 Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 PM

When did I judge anybody?

I said 'baby steps are for babies' and simply don't think as animal rights advocates we should promote it.

I don't tell people that if they are cutting down on their meat intake that they aren't doing enough but at the same time I won't applaud them or heap praise on them for doing so because that's gives them the indication that they are doing enough and will stop there.

And yeah I must admit I've never met an aggressive old person.
#52 Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

She does rather provoke comment with her outfits though.  A little bit of sensitivity towards other customers wouldn't go amiss, I'm sure she must have some items of clothing that aren't made out of animals?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2519769/Beyonc-steps-vegan-meal-dressed-head-toe-leather-diva-tries-support-husband-Jay-Zs-meat-free-lifestyle.html

article-0-19EAB16800000578-918_634x982.jpg

I wish it at least looked good. If you tear off someone else's skin to wear for yourself it should at least look good or be comfortable. That looks like the most uncomfortable thing I've ever seen. Imagine sweating in there...
I'm sorry this is mean. The truth is I'm stoked they are doing this. It puts plant based diet in the news, and the more people hear about something the more comfortable they get with it.
#53 Old 12-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Is she wearing those animals in vegan places as a "hey for realsies I'm not doing this for animals"

Because I mean... come on.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#54 Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When did I judge anybody?

I said 'baby steps are for babies' and simply don't think as animal rights advocates we should promote it.

I don't tell people that if they are cutting down on their meat intake that they aren't doing enough but at the same time I won't applaud them or heap praise on them for doing so because that's gives them the indication that they are doing enough and will stop there.

And yeah I must admit I've never met an aggressive old person.

You don't think saying 'baby steps are for babies' is being judgmental then?

We're obviously both working on completely different definitions of the word if that's the case!

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#55 Old 12-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

You don't think saying 'baby steps are for babies' is being judgmental then?

We're obviously both working on completely different definitions of the word if that's the case!

Agreed.

In common usage, the term "baby steps" is universally understood as being a metaphor for "small steps", and is often applied to beginners.

Insisting that the term literally only applies to babies is disingenuous and obtuse, as well as plain wrong.

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#56 Old 12-08-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:

Someone's been listening to Professor Gary Francione.

For what its worth I agree with you (and Francione). The message for Vegans should always be the abolition of animal usage. To me it is our jobs to present the complete unadulterated facts to non vegans about animal exploitation. IMO our message should be "to remove yourself from the exploitation of animals then you must go Vegan".

People will reach their own conclusions and find their own path to Veganism (and figure out their own baby steps). I myself didn't have any other Vegans showing me how to cut down my usage of animal products. I came to those conclusions on my own. If people really want to do something then they will.

What worries me with the Oprahs and Beyonces of the world "going Vegan for 20 days" is that the deep underlying message and the true meaning of Veganism is getting lost in the shuffle. When Donald Watson founded the Vegan Society he did so because he was upset at how the word "Vegetarian" had been hijacked and how even people who were still eating meat, dairy and eggs were calling themselves Vegetarian. I worry that the word Vegan may be going the same way.

And I don't want Veganism to become some exclusive club for snobby people who think they are better than everyone else. But if we don't maintain the philosophy and the moral principles of what Veganism was originally intended to be then the message will become more and more diluted.

natty6 likes this.
#57 Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showbags View Post

For what its worth I agree with you (and Francione). The message for Vegans should always be the abolition of animal usage. To me it is our jobs to present the complete unadulterated facts to non vegans about animal exploitation. IMO our message should be "to remove yourself from the exploitation of animals then you must go Vegan".

People will reach their own conclusions and find their own path to Veganism (and figure out their own baby steps). I myself didn't have any other Vegans showing me how to cut down my usage of animal products. I came to those conclusions on my own. If people really want to do something then they will.

What worries me with the Oprahs and Beyonces of the world "going Vegan for 20 days" is that the deep underlying message and the true meaning of Veganism is getting lost in the shuffle. When Donald Watson founded the Vegan Society he did so because he was upset at how the word "Vegetarian" had been hijacked and how even people who were still eating meat, dairy and eggs were calling themselves Vegetarian. I worry that the word Vegan may be going the same way.

And I don't want Veganism to become some exclusive club for snobby people who think they are better than everyone else. But if we don't maintain the philosophy and the moral principles of what Veganism was originally intended to be then the message will become more and more diluted.

I think the message about the abolition of animal usage is pretty hefty and likely overwhelming to many. I really think it's better to encourage everyone to be the best vegetarian/vegan they can be. I've seen a few people do Meatless Monday or some kind of meat-free deal occasionally, for a long time and then one day they realize "Hey, I don't need the meat on other days either."

Going vegan, even just in a dietary way, for 20 days or 10 days or some other configuration still serves a purpose - it shows people you don't need to eat animals to live. If someone sees that, maybe they'll not eat animal products for an even longer time. Maybe then, they'll also realize if you don't need to eat them, maybe you also don't need to use them in other ways (clothing, etc). 

Also, overall, I'm not so sure animals care about the reasons why people eat them less, just that they do. Every single time someone chooses a plant-based meal over an animal, an animal somewhere benefits. All those little successes add up. I'd rather have everyone not ever exploit animals for sure, but in the end, if I'm being realistic, I have to accept that every time someone chooses not to exploit an animal in one way, it's a good thing and a step in the right direction. Some people never even try to stop exploiting animals. If someone wants to try not eating animals for 20 days or whatever, it's a better step than someone who never tries. 

angie54321 and Werewolf Girl like this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#58 Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Also, overall, I'm not so sure animals care about the reasons why people eat them less, just that they do. Every single time someone chooses a plant-based meal over an animal, an animal somewhere benefits. 

So true, it's only us humans who judge the validity of someone's reasons for not eating animals.  Having said that, I know I'll still do it \gain at some point because I'm a dumb human :)

#59 Old 12-08-2013, 02:44 PM

I don't think it's overwhelming at all. I think you are doing our species a huge disservice by saying that. I think every human being has it in them to be compassionate.

It's really quite simple. If you believe imposing pain and suffering on an animal for pleasure or convenience is morally wrong then stop doing it.

Why do people worry that it is so hard for others to understand?

Like I said previously I believe that if people are 'turned off' by someone promoting veganism and use it as an excuse to excuse themselves from partaking in exploitation them they will never find their own path towards it.

I honestly don't think it's a special club that only certain people can join, I would love the world to be part. I just don't think we should be promoting anything but veganism, if someone thinks being vegetarian is enough or only eats pork on a Tuesday then that's fine because its their decision and I do think these people are making a difference but if a discussion came up I would explain to them that they aren't living their lives consistent with their morals.
#60 Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 PM

I hope they remain vegans after they realize the benefits. I have ditched all of my leather besides the motorcycle jacket I bought more than 10 years before I became a vegan. At that point, the damage has already been done but it is still sad. The first person to make a sweet hemp or vegan biker jacket should let me know though. 

http://2brokevegans.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page