Hi new and experienced vegans! Here's a thread to chat about it! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I'm a long time vegan and there are lots of us here. If anyone needs support or a pat on the back for saving animals, this is it!

Thank you vegans, experienced and new, young and old, health or ethical, I love you all. You are making great sacrifices, and I appreciate you! smiley.gif
yingchen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey LedBoots smiley.gif

I like the idea of this thread smiley.gif

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#3 Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

You are making great sacrifices 

Thanks for your appreciation for all of us. 

Just wanted to point out that from my life's experience (whatever it's worth), sacrifices are sacrifices only until we have made a choice. Once the choice has been made, the sacrifice no longer exists. Because sacrifice means losing something. Choice means that we have decided that there is something to gain out of whatever we have chosen.

I wouldn't like to think that vegans are considering themselves some kind of martyrs (which is what sacrifice is actually all about). We're strong people with high ethical values and a cool ideology and philosophy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 AM

It isn't a sacrifice, it's a joy not to be part of the bullying culture we have become accustomed to.
yingchen and mags102 like this.
#5 Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

It isn't a sacrifice, it's a joy not to be part of the bullying culture we have become accustomed to.

That's just how I feel pb. :up:

Leedsveg

ponyboy85 likes this.
#6 Old 12-03-2013, 05:09 AM

It's a sacrifice in the sense that our lives would be so much better if everyone were vegan, and there are many many things that continue to piss us off in this world.

Still, omnivores are wrong to think that our quality of life has decreased after going vegan. It's something they can't seem to wrap their heads around. They keep telling us that we're missing out - um, we're the ones who don't even need bacon to justify our lives.

:bobo: 

Jennifer C and ponyboy85 like this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#7 Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I was thinking more of this kind of "sacrifice"

an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy."we must all be prepared to make sacrifices"

But I understand your points. I feel I have sacrificed during my vegan years, but have gained so much more than I have given up.
River likes this.
#8 Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Nifty thread idea :-D

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 12-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Apologies if it came off as dismissing your post that really wasn't my intention.

I just wanted to highlight how amazing I now feel as a vegan, I went through a very dark spell in my life when all the horror and cruelty became apparent for the very first time. If there is any way of digging up my very first post you will see how much of a bad way I was in. When I did my research a part of me died inside at what our species was doing to others and I literally cried on and off for days (and if you were to ever meet me I am a kind of manly man).

Once I pulled myself together it felt like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders and I felt kind of 'free'. I felt so much more in synch with the natural world around me and at the same time had my eyes opened/realised the severity of other issues in the world such as homophobia, racism, wealth disparity, corporate greed etc and realised they are ALL interlinked and at the day end of the day we ALL need to be nicer to each other and the world that is our home.

Veganism made me feel alive for the first time since being a child and gave me a purpose in life.
mags102 and natty6 like this.
#10 Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Apologies if it came off as dismissing your post that really wasn't my intention.

I just wanted to highlight how amazing I now feel as a vegan, I went through a very dark spell in my life when all the horror and cruelty became apparent for the very first time. If there is any way of digging up my very first post you will see how much of a bad way I was in. When I did my research a part of me died inside at what our species was doing to others and I literally cried on and off for days (and if you were to ever meet me I am a kind of manly man).

Once I pulled myself together it felt like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders and I felt kind of 'free'. I felt so much more in synch with the natural world around me and at the same time had my eyes opened/realised the severity of other issues in the world such as homophobia, racism, wealth disparity, corporate greed etc and realised they are ALL interlinked and at the day end of the day we ALL need to be nicer to each other and the world that is our home.

Veganism made me feel alive for the first time since being a child and gave me a purpose in life.

Wow that is powerful. I'm glad to hear how positively veganism has affected your life. I feel like it gives me a purpose too. Such that even on days when I sit in my pj's and play zelda (jennifer might appreciate) all day and feel guilty that I wasn't out saving the world, at least I spent that day a vegan and in a way I was trying to save the world just by eating hummus and carrots.

yingchen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page