Tofu :-/ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 PM

How long does it take to get used to tofu? I broiled some for dinner. It was okay..... But maybe my brain just keeps telling me "this is not meat."

Also my parents were chowing on McDonald's, so that probably didn't help much. I did feel good about not eating it, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Poo Pie Head

Tofu only gives you as much as you give it. Next time you try it try something like this : press the water out and then freeze it over night. The next day thaw it out cube it and marinate it in some soy sauce and spices. (the freezing changes the texture and also makes it soak up marinades like a sponge (literally!)). Then you can fry it up or use it in another recipe. I used to hate tofu until I found other ways to cook it so it actually had a taste.
#3 Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 PM

I marinated it yesterday in soy sauce, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and some spices. The flavor was fine; the texture threw me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM

I only press it (and marinate, of course). Doesn't it get all crumbly after freezing?

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#5 Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

To each their own way!

I hate it after it's been frozen. Many people only like it like that! It does soak up marinade like a sponge-and feels and tastes like one too, IMO.

I've never broiled it. I mostly just sprinkle on seasonings, shake it with panko, some cornstarch, or whats left in a pretzel or seasoned cracker bag. I use a coating of oil in a cast iron and brown.

Tofus are very different depending on texture and brand. My favorite is Trader Joes extra firm or Naysoya supe firm. I think they're the same really. I don't even press those. Just buying firm or medium gives a much softer middle - more custard like, while the firmer is more like--chiken?

It's not meat. It's my most favorite food!

If you use cornstarch to bread it then use in an Asian flavored sauce like General Tso's it gets that crispy coating like the chicken. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

How long does it take to get used to tofu? I broiled some for dinner. It was okay..... But maybe my brain just keeps telling me "this is not meat."
Not everyone likes tofu, if you don't like it you can eat other things.
#7 Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I try stuff at least 3 different times, three different ways. I think a good way to start out with tofu would be fried or pan seared (if you want it healthier) in stir fry, as it would take up the flavor of the sauce.

Also the taste and texture of tofu can vary greatly. I prefer the fresher stuff you find in big bins at co-ops. Textures too. I make sure to get as much water out as possible. Try cooking it different ways, it will vary the texture.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#8 Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I love tofu but only the firm kind. The silken or soft tofu texture just isn't appealing to me - I'll eat it but won't wolf it down like I would the firm. And don't forget that Japanese tofu has egg in it.

The firm is great, just slice, dust with seasonings and stick it in a pan with a teeny bit of oil.

Another trick is to slice or cube and marinade for a few days in the fridge - the tofu will take on the flavour in a really intense manner and it's lovely no matter what way you cook it.

#9 Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Though in production it's closest to cheese, and in texture a bit like cooked egg, in flavour it's not like eggs, cheese or meat, so it's better not to expect anything animalish from it. 

In it's 'uncooked' state it is very bland, so it needs good seasoning.

Best way is to marinade as others have said. Press it first if possible.

I think the best way to start with it, is to treat it as an ingredient in Asian style foods which is it's 'natural' home so to speak.

Think Japanese, Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese among others. 

In recipe searches just type in "tofu" alongside any of the above cuisines and check out all the pics! 

Use flavours like ginger, citrus, soy sauce, sesame and chilli in your marinade to give it a lift. 

Use it in a stir fry. Eat it with noodle dishes. Braise it with greens.

Cube and fry it. Slice and bake it. Scramble it.

Soft or silken tofu is a useful ingredient in vegan puds, try it and see! 

This one of my favourites (from my blog):

http://pennilessvegetarianuk.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/sophies-vegan-strawberry-fools/

AppleMark

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#10 Old 11-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Totally depends on the tofu.

I get chunks of tofu pre-marinated (because I'm lazy, okay? I am lazy and I would rather pay 6 dollars for someone ELSE to do it) and it's got a nice chewy consistency. I only use the silken and firm tofu for things like cream, sauces and tofu scrambles. Sometimes I'll chop it up and get all the water out of it, so I can marinate it and pretend it's feta.

If you want something a bit 'meatier' though, have you tried tempeh?

It's the same basic deal as tofu, as far as if you marinate it, it will soak up the flavours. It has a slightly nutty taste that can still come through, but it's not unpleasant.

#11 Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies! I was not aware that different brands had different tastes. I'll keep experimenting and perhaps I will get used to tofu!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page