Vitamins - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Hi everyone,

As a new vegan (a few weeks in after being vegetarian for the past few years), I'm starting to be more careful with nutrition, specifically B12. (Yep, another B12 thread...sorry!)

How many of you actually take B12 supplements in pill form? So far I've been getting my B12 from fortified foods (almond milk, etc.) and nutritional yeast. But I don't consume these regularly enough at this point. Would you recommend I go for B12 pills?

If yes, here are some follow up questions:
1) How do you know if the pills are vegan?
2) I remember reading that there are two different forms of B12 (cyanosomething or cobalsomething) and that one is supposedly "better" than the other. Any thoughts on this?
3) what about the other vitamins/minerals/nutrients that we should be looking out for? Eg. Can I find B12 pills that also have vitamin D? Selenium? Etc...

Thank you SO much for any and all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Yes it is good to have around but i rarely use it (once every 2 weeks), You Should look for a Multivitamin with iron (if you feel like you need the boost). 

1) "Read the Ingredients!" and do some research, Or look at http://store.veganessentials.com/vitamins-and-natural-therapeutics-c43.aspx They have everything that is Vegan

2) I have not heard of the two types of B-12 so i can't answer this :(

3) A basic Multivitamin has all of these nutrients & minerals.

Final note

If you do your research, eat healthy things, exercise, and ask around on this site with helpful people you'll have less need for vitamins >:D

#3 Old 11-10-2013, 03:31 AM
Vegan Police Officer

For years now, I am convinced that the best vegan supplements are those obtained through the Vegan Society in the UK. I've been taking one every single day for the last eight years more or less.

http://www.vegansociety.com/hubpage.aspx?id=678443#!/~/category/id=5011010&offset=0&sort=normal

They contain B2, B6, B12, Vit D, Iodine and Selenium. What more can one wish for ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

1.) Many B12 supplements will advertise themselves as vegan, but otherwise you can check the ingredient lists. B12, itself, its from bacteria so its a matter of whether they add something that isn't vegan....usually they don't.

2.) There are a few different types of B12, cyancobalamin is the most common and cheapest but its the most synthetic. That is, it doesn't really occur in nature. If that bothers you, you can take a different form, for example methylocobalamin which is what the body uses. Some people think that mythylocobalamin is better, especially for brain health.

3.) All nutrients, except b12, can be obtained naturally from your diet and if your diet is deficient the real solution is to eat a healthier diet. Vegan intake of zinc, iron, riboflavin,iodine and even protein can often be too low but you can rectified by dietary changes. Your body produces vitamin D from sunlight and most people can get enough that way, but those with dark skin or living in northern climate may find it useful to take a moderate vitamin D supplement especially during winter months.
#5 Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 PM

I recommend Dr. Fuhrman's multivitamins. They are all vegan (except for the one containing vitamin d3) and don't contain other potentially dangerous vitamins (like folic acid, vitamin a, copper, and iron).

#6 Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Oryzatarian

You said you dont consume fortified foods often enough. Is there any powdered thing you consume nearly every day? Coffee creamer, drink mix, cinnamon, etc? If so you can fortify your own food item. Just get a large and chalky type of B12 pill (usually one of the cheaper brands), powder it, and mix it with your food item in a reasonable ratio. You can even just mix the powder with a bit of white rice flour to increase the volume and add a little bit of that to your food each day. I have a tub of that with my spices.

#7 Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I follow the nutritio. advice from Dr Greger on nutritionfacts.org. He seems to be the one most grounded in contemporary science of all the vegan doctors out there.
Following his advice, I supplement with 250 mcg of B12 a day. I do take the m-one since the c-one made me break out. I also take vitamin D daily since I live in Scandinavia. I also supplemeng with algae dervied oil daily for the fatty acids.
B12, vit D and algae oil. I make sure to eat a brazil nut everyday for the selenium and use iodinized salt. This is in line with Dr Gregers advice, but everyone has to decide for themselves. For me - it's about an optimal diet, not just a good one.
#8 Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to reply! So many good ideas and resources here! Much appreciated! smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page