ordering from a non vegan restaurant that is vegan friendly - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

so guys i wanna know you know how pizza is wonderful when you order it from the pizzaria so i have this thing is that even if the pizzarria is vegan friendly i go like i don't want the pizza that i eat to touch the dead animals or the place that the pizza of dead animals was cooked on or maybe the one preapring was already making anon vegan one and then without washing his hands touch the pizza that i would order

how about you do stuff like this bother you?

and if not then why?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

It is bothersome to think about for me, too. I decided that I would still eat at places that prepare and cook the meat in the same area as my food. My main reason for veganism is the ethics of it, and I'm not causing direct harm to creatures by eating my vegan food cooked in a pizza oven.

Everyone has different lines they draw on what is acceptable to them. I have had success encouraging 3 omni restaurants so far to add vegan items to the menu--one of them a barbeque restaurant that started serving awesome vegan falafel pitas, portabella burgers, etc. There's no perfect way to be a vegan in this world, in my opinion, so I just do the best I can under my circumstances.
#3 Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

It is bothersome to think about for me, too. I decided that I would still eat at places that prepare and cook the meat in the same area as my food. My main reason for veganism is the ethics of it, and I'm not causing direct harm to creatures by eating my vegan food cooked in a pizza oven.

Everyone has different lines they draw on what is acceptable to them. I have had success encouraging 3 omni restaurants so far to add vegan items to the menu--one of them a barbeque restaurant that started serving awesome vegan falafel pitas, portabella burgers, etc. There's no perfect way to be a vegan in this world, in my opinion, so I just do the best I can under my circumstances.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sam, this is off-topic, but I just watched am interesting documentary about cats on National Geographic television called the Science of Cats.

They did dna studies of cats to discover where in the world they were first domesticated, and it turned out to be the middle east. They pinpointed it in Egypt, but the whole area was the birthplace of housecats. Egytian cats' dna is in cats in Los Angeles, London, Johannesburg, everywhere! It was quite interesting and had lots of gorgeous kitties in it.
#5 Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I rarely eat out, maybe a few times a year (I bring my own food to work and traveling), but...I live with an omnivore who will not go vegan so you can imagine what it is like having to have his dead animal food in the house.  I have rules that he can not cook animal products in my good pots and pans and they are off limits in my blender and other appliances as well.  We have our own cups and plates and so on.  We even have our own cupboards and areas of the refrigerator for our separate stuff.  But I still have to contend with the fact that he prepares his food on the counter and washes his dishes in the same sink.  Thankfully he mostly eats my vegan meals but from time to time he has to have his dairy and meat.  Sighs.  It's not easy dealing with it in your own home.  I just do the best I can given the circumstances.  Sometimes at the grocery store I get stuck behind someone who has a leaky package of meat going down the belt but thankfully the clerk cleans it up before I put my stuff down on the same belt.  There are not any all vegan stores or restaurants anywhere near where I live so I just have to do the best I can.  But as others have mentioned, I can also influence mainstream groceries and restaurants to include more vegan friendly options and make the public more aware of this growing concern and in this way give the animals a voice.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 11-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I rarely eat out, maybe a few times a year (I bring my own food to work and traveling), but...I live with an omnivore who will not go vegan so you can imagine what it is like having to have his dead animal food in the house.  I have rules that he can not cook animal products in my good pots and pans and they are off limits in my blender and other appliances as well.  We have our own cups and plates and so on.  We even have our own cupboards and areas of the refrigerator for our separate stuff.  But I still have to contend with the fact that he prepares his food on the counter and washes his dishes in the same sink.  Thankfully he mostly eats my vegan meals but from time to time he has to have his dairy and meat.  Sighs.  It's not easy dealing with it in your own home.  I just do the best I can given the circumstances.  Sometimes at the grocery store I get stuck behind someone who has a leaky package of meat going down the belt but thankfully the clerk cleans it up before I put my stuff down on the same belt.  There are not any all vegan stores or restaurants anywhere near where I live so I just have to do the best I can.  But as others have mentioned, I can also influence mainstream groceries and restaurants to include more vegan friendly options and make the public more aware of this growing concern and in this way give the animals a voice.

so it's fine to order a vegan option form a non vegan place do you that the animals would be sad to know that?

would they be sad if some of the traces of their dead bodies came into the vegan food that i order?

Thank you for you answer :)

#7 Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Sam, this is off-topic, but I just watched am interesting documentary about cats on National Geographic television called the Science of Cats.

They did dna studies of cats to discover where in the world they were first domesticated, and it turned out to be the middle east. They pinpointed it in Egypt, but the whole area was the birthplace of housecats. Egytian cats' dna is in cats in Los Angeles, London, Johannesburg, everywhere! It was quite interesting and had lots of gorgeous kitties in it.

can you please tell me the name of the documentry that maybe sometime i would watch it

Thank you led (if i may call you that) :)

#8 Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

so it's fine to order a vegan option form a non vegan place do you that the animals would be sad to know that?

would they be sad if some of the traces of their dead bodies came into the vegan food that i order?

On an emotional level I can understand your point, but looking at the bigger picture the more veg foods are requested the bigger the impact.

If vegans keep their ideals so "pure" and isolated, how many people are going to try and consider their views? People gravitate towards what's popular, accessible and affordable. I'm all for requesting vegan options at omni restaurants. That's also why I'm glad for many big corporations like Silk for making vegan options mainstream.

I've e-mailed many popular restaurants about that just to the word out.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The thing is, it is extremely difficult to remain pure vegan in the strictest sense, and to focus on that goal of total purity is not very effective for anyone.  Consider that the produce we buy (unless we grow all of our own all the time and use veganic sourced seeds) is grown using animal manure or fertilizer, even organically grown plants on organic farms often use fish guts and so on for fertilizer.  There are veganic farms cropping up but for now they are few and far in between.  If you buy food from a market that also sells animal products, are you not supporting that indirectly too? (but if you look at it this way...you are supporting the alternatives they are providing and sending a message by avoiding the direct buying of an animal product).  Would the animals feel any different about that than they would about traces of their bodies possibly ending up in otherwise vegan food that I made an effort to order?  How would the animals feel about the vehicle or bicycle I drive with animal glue in the tires and so on?  Would they rather that I walk everywhere so as not to exploit them? (though I don't see riding my bike as exploiting animals since there are not all vegan bicycle alternatives that I can realistically afford right now).  It would be difficult for me to leaflet and work for change on their behalf if I could not drive or bus to colleges and so on (or type on this computer which probably has animal components somewhere in it) but had to rely only on walking in order to avoid the traces of animals in the tires, or only speaking and communicating by word of mouth to avoid ink and computer components with animal traces in them.  And as silva said, if vegans totally isolate themselves from the rest of the world, how will others learn what veganism is and what it means?  Who will challenge restaurants and stores, factory farms, the pet trade if we isolate ourselves from them rather than show and demand that there is a need and a moral obligation for animal free alternatives?  Personally I think the animals would feel much better about me challenging the system of animal exploitation and educating others than they would about me trying to avoid every trace of animal in my life.  That isn't going to help the animals who are being exploited in the worst ways right now all over the world.

sam alshebany likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:

can you please tell me the name of the documentry that maybe sometime i would watch it

It's probably available in a different format but these link to four Youtube vids of approx 13 minutes each that make up the whole documentary.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fkmH9rlwtE

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z681qCmmUvc

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUB0dLI-xQ

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMR4-vxGOmQ

#11 Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

It's probably available in a different format but these link to four Youtube vids of approx 13 minutes each that make up the whole documentary.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fkmH9rlwtE

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z681qCmmUvc

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUB0dLI-xQ

Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMR4-vxGOmQ

Thank you love :)

#12 Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't bother me enough to want separate food. I dislike the idea but I'm in it for the ethical reasons and not the gross factor. My morals are not compromised by eating vegan food that has touched meat. I cannot see any ethical dilemma in this. As far as being grossed out, I have a very gross job so I'm pretty well fortified mentally against the feeling of disgust. I will eat anything vegan unless it is rotten, contaminated, or moldy, whether it has been cooked with meats or not. I will pick things like cheese slices off a sandwich under the condition that someone else eats it. I keep my veganism very logical.
#13 Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

It doesn't bother me enough to want separate food. I dislike the idea but I'm in it for the ethical reasons and not the gross factor. My morals are not compromised by eating vegan food that has touched meat. I cannot see any ethical dilemma in this. As far as being grossed out, I have a very gross job so I'm pretty well fortified mentally against the feeling of disgust. I will eat anything vegan unless it is rotten, contaminated, or moldy, whether it has been cooked with meats or not. I will pick things like cheese slices off a sandwich under the condition that someone else eats it. I keep my veganism very logical.

Thank you for your answer

btw so if someone ***** vegetable stew with chicken in it would you eat the vegetable part and not the meat? because in the why the whole stew has aborbed the flavour of the meat?

#14 Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

btw so if someone ***** vegetable stew with chicken in it would you eat the vegetable part and not the meat? because in the why the whole stew has aborbed the flavour of the meat?

Vegetable stew with chicken in it is chicken stew.

Yes, I would eat it on a desert island if I ran out of coconuts. 

#15 Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Vegetable stew with chicken in it is chicken stew.

Yes, I would eat it on a desert island if I ran out of coconuts. 

yeah proably me too

bt the other day duriander was asked i think it was like this maybe i am wrong" if you were stranded on an island would you eat an animals if it the only option would you catch it and kill it he said if this animals is alive there must bee something that he's feeding on i'll trying to find it and eat the same as the animal" btw he didn't say it like this exactly bt that's the way i understood it

#16 Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would have to agree with leedsveg that vegetable soup cooked with chicken becomes chicken soup. The chicken so permeates everything that it is no long vegan at all. In normal circumstances I would not pick out the chicken and eat it.
Maybe if I knew for a fact it would otherwise be thrown away and no one else would eat it I would consider picking out the chicken. I never eat soup I didn't make because it could so easily be cooked with animals and I not know.
#17 Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

[quote
#18 Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I ate at Tijuana Flats recently, a local Mexican food place, and the waitress was vegan. She told me that the kitchen there is good about keeping the meat separate in the kitchen. She was nice, said she and her husband had gove vegan in March but that her husband was gaining weight from too much restaurant take out food. :-)
#19 Old 11-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

blush.gifsmiley.gif
#20 Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Recently a Thai restaurant that is quite good at vegan-ifying food mistakenly gave me food with a non-vegan ingredient.  Because I believe that throwing food away in this context increases "net" exploitation, I ate the dish. Even after picking out most of the non-vegan bits it was revolting.

#21 Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM

I appreciate their effort and so don't mind the small cross contamination risks. If given the choice, I like it when they use different pans etc. I can't handle the open kitchen or hibachi anymore. I just can't stand the sight of raw meat. (It makes me ill.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page