Another "I have no clue what to do in this situation." from me - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-01-2013, 10:32 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

*sigh* I feel I have been neglecting the animals lately and it just comes back to bother me. Like I should be doing "more"....and I would be doing more if our veggroup wasn't so flaky. I was going to talk to the president about that today but unfortunately I'm going home early.

Well anyway, basically I take care of the fish in our dorm hall (because I demanded @[email protected]  I trust no one) and well our community director wanted to throw him a small party. She wanted to run it by me and I said that was fine. However, what she didn't run by me was the stuff she bought for the party, stuff like non vegan treats/cupcakes/goldish. She did buy some swedish fish which I guess are okay but I never really was a fan. Basically I'm just like *siiiiigh* really?? -_-  I just don't feel it's right to be celebrating something involving an animal while buying food that hurts animals if you catch my drift.

I have NO clue what to say to her or if I should even say anything at all (which in some respects I'd feel even more terrible about) It would kind of being awkward I think if I told her now "hey! You know about the fishe's party. Could you run by me what type of treats you bought him again?..... oh, well it would have been nice if that was run by me because it feels a bit odd to celebrate an animal's birthday with treats that hurt other animals" By then she would have been like da faaaaaaaaaaq? and I would have had to explain some about the egg and dairy industries or just hand her a pamphlet if I felt like I was gonna cry (that happens when I get too passionate and look at people as I'm talking >_>) I feel like it would thereafter make all communication with her awkward after that. *sigh* I'm just tired of all this nonsense from people. Just F*CKING STOP EATING ANIMALS AND SECRETIONS OF THEIR BODIES.

People are just so apathetic these days. I can't get anyone to change just by talking to them usually. I keep saying "maybe I need to change my approach." but that would involve being more firm with people from the start and I just hate to be so hard on people even if they deserve it @[email protected] ----____________----  My introvert nature doesn't help. Basically I feel like I have to change my entire personality and being to help the animals...and it's like I keep asking myself, would I be willing to give up myself to save help the animals better? I just keep going back and forth ;/

Jasminedesi16 likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Honestly if the food at an event is at least vegetarian I am usually happy about that. I only eat the vegan stuff, but one step at a time as far as I'm concerned.
#3 Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Honestly if the food at an event is at least vegetarian I am usually happy about that. I only eat the vegan stuff, but one step at a time as far as I'm concerned.

Well it would be a little odd to throw meat burgers or other animal dead parts around for a little celebration for a fish. It wasn't planned with a vegetarian heart in mind so.....that's the issue. grrrrrrr I'mma just go home and go crazy with some vegan outreach pamphlets this weekend....if I get out at all that is.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Oh my gosh I face that same ironic situation almost every week. You are not alone in the ongoing frustration with people who do not think deep (or at all) about what they are doing! (HUGS)

So here is one of my similar experiences:

I was doing this river clean up with my best friend (we're both vegan) and after picking up nasty and strange items from the riverbank and water (one was a large pumpkin), we were quite hungry. Luckily, I had packed some lasagna I had made earlier with the thought of "Well, even though this is an Earth Day thing, they may not have anything vegan." Of course they didn't. They were giving out shirts that said "Every day is Earth Day!" while munching on burgers, hotdogs, and m&m cookies. I looked at my besty, disgusted, and we sat far away from everyone and ate our meal while laughing at the irony of the whole thing. We could not believe how dumb people were. I think it just does not click in their brains that eating animals is not good for anyone involved.

#5 Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraAlexis View Post

Oh my gosh I face that same ironic situation almost every week. You are not alone in the ongoing frustration with people who do not think deep (or at all) about what they are doing! (HUGS)

So here is one of my similar experiences:

I was doing this river clean up with my best friend (we're both vegan) and after picking up nasty and strange items from the riverbank and water (one was a large pumpkin), we were quite hungry. Luckily, I had packed some lasagna I had made earlier with the thought of "Well, even though this is an Earth Day thing, they may not have anything vegan." Of course they didn't. They were giving out shirts that said "Every day is Earth Day!" while munching on burgers, hotdogs, and m&m cookies. I looked at my besty, disgusted, and we sat far away from everyone and ate our meal while laughing at the irony of the whole thing. We could not believe how dumb people were. I think it just does not click in their brains that eating animals is not good for anyone involved.

UGH that would piss the hell out of me. Seriously, maybe this is why people are edgy toward me all the time, but I swear I loathe everyone in our environmental group which has like 40 people that are NOT vegetarians at the LEAST. I admit I'm not perfect but every purchasing decision I make, I always think about the environment. This is one of those things that I think even they "know" is the more sustainable and better option (heck I learned that in high school) but they just don't care, and I just wanna say "get the f*ck out." but I can't -__-  I seriously would have had a talk who whomever hosted all the burgers and hot dogs and let them know that if they want serious members in the group they'd need to get it together and act serious by not serving that crap.

LOL we had a environment mini  festival  last week at our campus. Someone was giving out m&m candies at their table and gave them about how that wasn't very sustainable. Even more ironic, there was a table RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. Like literally I wish I was making this up, of kids who were talking about how mars and the other cheap candy and treats candies that are mass marketed (like m&ms) were not all too great. People just don't seem to want to think past anything beyond their nose it seems. It's like they don't want to make this world better if it involves actually thinking.

#6 Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Beginner

I feel ya. People don't like talking to me that much because I give it to them like it really is, even if it makes them uncomfortable. ;) If someone is talking about how great McDonald's is in front of me, I will go up to them and tell them the bloody truth until they shut up. I think we need to stay angry at these things as it motivates us to speak up even more. Your environmental group is a load of sh*theads if they are not even making an effort! I would totally leave them for true activists! I do the same, when I go to the store I only buy recyclable plastics and formerly recycled packaging. I really hate how everything is wrapped in plastic now! Especially the vegetables, ugh! There really is no reason... I try to get my veggies at the farmer's market but the one in my town sucks. There are like two booths and they are overpriced and the people are unfriendly. The one two cities away is so awesome but it's a thirty minute drive and I don't get to go often (boooo :(). They have lots of vegan vendors and organic stands. The world's gotta change soon. More people are going vegan but more people are also opposing because they want to live in their ignorance and they do not want to see what goes on for them to get their big mac. Whatever. We just have to stand up for what we believe in and spread the message for the animals and the earth no matter how idiotic people are. :)

#7 Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I am the organizer for a local veg*n group and it is quite difficult to get anyone to do anything. I'm older than you college folks, but I hate to say it is that college age is when people are at their most socially active. Just wait until they start getting married and breeding. Then they'll drop out of society completely, and might attend maybe one group function a year, if that. 

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page