So pizzed at my mom right now! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM

Just need to vent.

My mom is visiting me, she lives in different country, so it's a big even. She handles all the cooking, she is great chef and I work long hours, so I was happy a the idea. She of course knows that I am vegan, doesn't approve, but is ok with it. She KNOW - no eggs, milk etc etc.

So after a week a feel funny and have bad, I mean BAD breakouts on my face, which hasn't happened in a long time. So I confront my mom and she admitted to adding real butter and milk instead of vegan substitute to mashed potatoes, eggs to the batter for muffins, freaking LARD (this almost made me throw up) to fried potatoes with mushrooms etc etc. She said "a little bit won't hurt" and "I never used meat, so what's your problem?". I love my mom, but I felt like screaming at her and just want to tell her to get out... how could she do this to me? I feel disgusting about eating it all, I thought it tasted funny, but assumed that this is because she really knows how to cook (she's a chef).

Sorry, need so sympathy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Did you tell her how you feel?

hug.gif

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinmagic View Post

Just need to vent.

My mom is visiting me, she lives in different country, so it's a big even. She handles all the cooking, she is great chef and I work long hours, so I was happy a the idea. She of course knows that I am vegan, doesn't approve, but is ok with it. She KNOW - no eggs, milk etc etc.

So after a week a feel funny and have bad, I mean BAD breakouts on my face, which hasn't happened in a long time. So I confront my mom and she admitted to adding real butter and milk instead of vegan substitute to mashed potatoes, eggs to the batter for muffins, freaking LARD (this almost made me throw up) to fried potatoes with mushrooms etc etc. She said "a little bit won't hurt" and "I never used meat, so what's your problem?". I love my mom, but I felt like screaming at her and just want to tell her to get out... how could she do this to me? I feel disgusting about eating it all, I thought it tasted funny, but assumed that this is because she really knows how to cook (she's a chef).

Sorry, need so sympathy...

Take a deep breath and say, "Mom, I love you, but please no dairy, eggs or meat. I don't like it when you add these things to my meals. I'm healthy as a vegan, and wish to continue this route. Thank you."

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinmagic View Post

So after a week a feel funny and have bad, I mean BAD breakouts on my face, which hasn't happened in a long time.

So sorry to hear this. You're having a physical reaction to animal products which your Mother must know about. The fact is that the vast majority of the population eat meat and don't understand us when we don't for ethical reasons however if it's a health reason they are totally on board. Eating animal products "make you sick" and your Mum should understand that. That may be the most effective way to get her to stop.

#5 Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I would find it extremely hard to trust her after this. I would try talking to her as the others suggest, but make it really clear how upset you are, how she has shaken your faith in her and that if she will not respect your choices then refuse to eat her food and cook your own. 

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#6 Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM

That is terrible! I would never trust my mom again if she did that to me. I can't imagine being tricked by a family member. The one time something like that happened to me it wasn't on purpose. I ate chicken fat in Spanish rice that a friend cooked and after I left they announced that they had read the package and it was disgusting. I cried for hours. All you can do is let her know exactly how you feel about it and don't eat her food unless you watch her make it. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. -HUGS 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page