Cliff Bars-technically vegan, how do you feel about them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM

So I know most Cliff bars are vegan, ingredients-wise, but they do state "May contain traces of milk, etc". So I want to know how you guys feel about things like this, things that may be made where non-vegan food is also made, would you still eat them, or do you not consider it to be vegan because of it? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The warning is there to let people with food allergies know there is a slight possibility the item might trigger their allergies - which can cause severe consequences including death. It's a disclaimer to avoid lawsuits.

Shared equipment doesn't bug me at all. I probably consume more animal substances (and bugs to boot!) from going for a stroll at dusk than I do from products made on equipment improperly cleaned between batches.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 10-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Shared equipment doesn't deter me. I just try not to think about it, but I'll put my portabella on the grill right after a cow burger has been on it. It's gross to think about but I cannot see how it clashes with the vegan mentality. The goal is to mininize harm caused. You do not cause undue harm by consuming these products with allergy warnings. If anything having separate vegan-only equiptment requires more materials which must be mined, harvested, or otherwise made and animals die or lose habitat over that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Thanks for your input guys, I was just wondering what the general vegan consensus was regarding products like this, as I have consumed Cliff bars and didn't know if I should feel guilty about it and/or if I would still be considered vegan for doing so. :)

#5 Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

smiley.gif
#6 Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat them.
Just remember to think of them as fortified candy bars, not "real food."

Also, guilt is a useless emotion, like jealousy. You may feel it now and then so it's best to learn how to deal with negative useless emotions constructively but please don't ever go looking for them. Total waste of time. Do something productive instead, like leafleting or decoupage-ing wink3.gif
#7 Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Clif bars are awesome. They are more filling than a regular granola bar, and perfect to carry in my purse for "emergencies."

As far as the milk issue, that statement is just for people with allergies. The milk is not an ingredient, so eating otherwise vegan Clif bars doesn't harm animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page