Does more vegan products= more vegans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, so 18 months ago when I went vegetarian, there weren't a lot of vegan products on the shelves. If you were a lacto-ovo vegetarian, you were set. But vegans really had to go to the Asian groceries to get special stuff.

But in the last 12 months, I've seen Frys products appear in the major supermarket ranges (Coles). In the last 6 months, Coles have been stocking not only a vegan miso soup and a range of sauces, but nutritional yeast AND agave nectar. We have a 'vegetarian butcher' (a lot of their stuff is actually vegan). Now, I've just discovered there's a business that does vegan meal delivery!

Even the makeup over here is starting to list their vegan products (Australis are cruelty free and have their own list of vegan products! Something they didn't have a few months ago, I'm sure!)

Has anyone else noticed something like this happening? Is this a good sign that there are just MORE people wanting to go veg? Or do these things swell and fade?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Impeach the gangster

I'm not sure, but two local grocery stores have recently enlarged their 'natural foods' departments, particularly their cold cases, to accommodate more vegan products. The selection has really improved.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 AM

I think the major supermarkets in the UK have probably doubled their frozen meat free section and free from chiller section. That doesn't include Asda who are an absolute joke an have actually halved their frozen section in my local store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Has anyone else noticed something like this happening? Is this a good sign that there are just MORE people wanting to go veg? Or do these things swell and fade?

A lot of the recent demand is a swelling in the numbers of people who are following a T. Colin Campbell-style heart diet. It may fade but I think it will be more of a constant steady growth in health herbivores and health near-herbivores. I think this because people are more impressed with what works for their own friends and relatives than in what the latest book says. Weight-loss fads make for swelling and fading, but when you're looking at a quadruple bypass and a dietary change reverses your blockages, you're motivated to stay the course. I'm encouraged it will also mean better selections and more variety for consumers, which I also see at my own supermarkets.

#5 Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I don't think there is necessarily an increase in the number of vegans but there is an increase in the number of vegan meals being eaten for health related reasons.

#6 Old 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

I don't think there is necessarily an increase in the number of vegans but there is an increase in the number of vegan meals being eaten for health related reasons. 

I think that would be my understanding. In other words the number of meals suitable for vegans is probably increasing but the bulk of these are perhaps being eaten by omnis and vegetarians. 

#7 Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The previous folks are correct. The driving force in the market for vegetarian products (including vegan products) is the large number of people interested in eating vegetarian meals occasionally (or even often). Those of us that eat that way exclusively for any reason represent a relatively small faction.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 11-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Banned

I have heard much more about veganism lately than I have in years past. I think it's a good thing!

I definitely think that accessibility and convenience to vegan foods will inspire more people to adopt and maintain a vegan diet.
#9 Old 11-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

A lot of the recent demand is a swelling in the numbers of people who are following a T. Colin Campbell-style heart diet. It may fade but I think it will be more of a constant steady growth in health herbivores and health near-herbivores.
This probably has a good deal to do with it, but as expected the food industry is coming in to capitalize on it and a lot of these new "plant-based" products are far removed from the sorts of foods recommended by Campbell, etc. I would imagine that this, junk being marketed as healthful, will eventually fizz out the demand as people will realize little health benefits from it.

The other day when I was shopping, at a more health oriented store, I saw some bag of pop-corn being marketing as "plant-based". Well, it was technically plant-based, but 60% of the calories in the product were come from the vegetable oil. For $5 there was also some ranch kale chips, again, most the calories were from vegetable oil.
#10 Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post
The other day when I was shopping, at a more health oriented store, I saw some bag of pop-corn being marketing as "plant-based". Well, it was technically plant-based, but 60% of the calories in the product were come from the vegetable oil. For $5 there was also some ranch kale chips, again, most the calories were from vegetable oil.

Sounds like accurate representation to me, at least for those interested in knowing that their foods are 'plant based' rather than 'animal based' anyway.

Yet you appear to object, I'm not sure why? If there were claims to being low-fat it would be false, but plant-based is accurate.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#11 Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Sounds like accurate representation to me, at least for those interested in knowing that their foods are 'plant based' rather than 'animal based' anyway.
Yet you appear to object, I'm not sure why? If there were claims to being low-fat it would be false, but plant-based is accurate.
They are trying to capitalize on the health based movement cited by the other poster, that is why they were marketing it as "plant-based" (a term used by that movement) instead of "vegan" (the term used by the non-health oriented movement). But the product was far removed from something that would be recommended by Campbell, etc. So that's the source of disagreement in that case. For the kale chips, they are capitalizing on the healthfulness of kale to market a kale-based junk food....these chips were the equivalent of wrapping a candy bar in a kale leaf and marketing it as a health food.

To me, this sort of activity undermines the very important work of getting people to eat more healthfully.
#12 Old 11-10-2013, 04:43 PM

Vegans need to realize that eating processed products is really not the best way to go about it. There are many ways to get that meal like making it homemade, and taking the time to research it and learn instead of buying 250 dollars of packaged food. 

But there is the constant advertisement war on television where there is never Vegan food making the spotlight. 

#13 Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I think there are a lot of people trying the vegan foods for health reasons. That does not mean they will suddenly start cooking from scratch--many of them are post-heart attack or have Type 2 diabetes and have lived on drive-thru dollar menus and delivery pizza their whole lives.

I suspect that most of the vegan convenience foods are somewhat healthier than omni convenience stuff. Even if they aren't, win for the animals!
#14 Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm noticing in groups of mom friends that many many children are being recognized as dairy or egg allergic. Many adults seem to be figuring out that they are lactose intolerant. Gluten allergies are on the rise as well. I notice those things are dominant in the natural section of supermarkets. Not sure if these allergies are new or if they are just being diagnosed more.

I see that there are many documentaries readily available to the public, such as on Netflix or free on websites. Maybe more people are watching them now and becoming inspired. Social media as a message spreader may have something to do with it too.

Where I live there are many vegan places and food trucks opening up. A bakery truck getting a store front, a chef starting a kickstarter to open up a vegan fine dining restaurant, and just recently noticed a vegan BBQ food truck is opening this Friday. Many of these vegan businesses in my city seem to be run more on ethical values rather than just diet. But there might be just a ton of ethical vegans where I live so I'm not sure.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#15 Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

It might be more people are looking at veganism as a dietary habit. It could be more people are celebrating "Meatless Mondays". It might also be food allergies. With food allergies on the rise, and more people suffering from them, and eggs and dairy are 2 of the 8 major food allergens, vegan might be the way to go.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#16 Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I suspect that most of the vegan convenience foods are somewhat healthier than omni convenience stuff.
While this may have been true of the past, the vegan products that are coming to market today are having been increasingly unhealthy.
#17 Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

While this may have been true of the past, the vegan products that are coming to market today are having been increasingly unhealthy.

I have noticed this as well. :( It makes me kind of angry. My partner buys a lot of the pre-packaged faux stuff and while it is nice once in a while, he eats it every week. I am always thinking "You like vegan dishes a lot, why don't you learn how to make real food from real ingredients instead of that crap?" 

#18 Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 PM

I agree. It's likely food allergies that is the main reason why vegan products are becoming more popular. And maybe certain people who want to lower cholesterol. I think the availability is only going to increase  because the extent that we use animal products today is just not sustainable. It just can't continue forever. As alternatives become more mainstream, omnis may not see them as being so weird anymore. Especially if the major chains are starting to carry them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page