You're vegan, we get it - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Zelda Freak

Here's a fairly rude article I recently saw, You're vegan, we get it.

From the article:

Quote:

Want to hear a joke? “How do you know if a person is vegan? Don’t worry, they’ll tell you.”

The joke is a little harsh, but it brings up a good point. Why can’t someone simply adopt a lifestyle or way of consuming nourishment without feeling like they have to brag about it? Does making these decisions constitute an attitude of complete smugness though? I’m not so sure. 

It's not all bad, like this...

Quote:
Okay, I’m not saying all vegan people are awful by any means. I’m just saying some vegans I know constantly look down on anyone who doesn’t adopt the same lifestyle.

AND

Quote:
Meat-eaters can be just as vicious and rude, if not more. On top of that, those who do not eat meat are confronted with a variety of situations. 

But what irks me is that the whole point of this is to point out that many vegans are oh so rude and pushy, which is lame since I've met more pushy meat eaters yet you rarely see mainstream articles about that as America would cave in before that happened. 

I agree that some vegans can be pushy for sure, but the mainstream calling out vegans is what bugs me. Especially when someone uses terms like smug and brag, because as a vegan I don't pull that kind of attitude on others but give my family 5 seconds and they pull it on me about meat and especially dairy. Blah. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

It's easy to see others flaws, much harder to see your own.
#3 Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 AM

The few comments are interesting, I agree completely with two out of three and mostly with the third. 

My main problems with the article are that it's badly written (for example I'm pretty sure she did not actually mean constitute when she wrote constitute and there's no real structure) and not well researched. It seems the author woke up and thought "How do I go about making vegans look stupid?" and this is the attempt. 

As you said Jennifer, vegans are constantly confronted with people from the majority asking them to justify their choices. I don't ever ask someone to justify eating animal products - unless we're in the middle of a discussion about veganism that they have initiated. 

You know who tells everyone I'm vegan? Other people! Because it's such a huge deal for them that someone refuses to just accept the norm. There are people in my life who spread it around like it's hot gossip. I went shopping with a friend recently and we ran into one of his colleagues. As she led him over to a different aisle to show him something I could hear him needlessly exclaim "Kath's a vegan." I have family members who tells strangers. And a flatmate who reveals this shocking fact to everyone we meet. 

I mean seriously: you're a meat eater, we get it. 

Werewolf Girl and ponyboy85 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

You know who tells everyone I'm vegan? Other people! Because it's such a huge deal for them that someone refuses to just accept the norm. There are people in my life who spread it around like it's hot gossip. 

OH MY GOSH this! This is so true. I didn't think about this, til you posted, but yeah, everyone I know is more likely to tell people about me being vegan, than I am. That is hyper annoying. Especially because they never mean it as a compliment. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#5 Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I had a roommate who told everyone we saw that I was vegan. It was super weird and made me uncomfortable because every time I met someone with her I was put on the offensive defending my ethics.

Then I adopted the "every time you argue against veganism you're arguing for animal abuse." That helped.

It's not vegans that are the problem.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Zelda Freak

Everyone usually introduces me like this:

• "This is Jennifer, she's a vegan!" OR 
  • "This is Jennifer, she's just a writer." 

Emphasis on "just" as if I'm jobless. 

This thread make me think I should start introducing people like this too. 

• "This is bob, he eats dead animals!"
  • "This is bob, he's working for the man as a (fill in the blank)."

Seriously if I introduced everyone I know as an eater of dead animals I wonder what people would do. 

Brain Floss likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

One scenario example on being introduced by a friend.... "This is Christine she is a Vegan NOT Vegetarian , she does not eat eggs or dairy" .... the other person usually replies "How could you not eat CHEESE?!?!"
#8 Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Everyone usually introduces me like this:

• "This is Jennifer, she's a vegan!" OR 
  • "This is Jennifer, she's just a writer." 

Emphasis on "just" as if I'm jobless. 

This thread make me think I should start introducing people like this too. 

• "This is bob, he eats dead animals!"
  • "This is bob, he's working for the man as a (fill in the blank)."

Seriously if I introduced everyone I know as an eater of dead animals I wonder what people would do. 

JUST a writer, seriously? How patronizing, I find that much more offensive than the emphasis on you being vegan.

People can be such asshats sometimes.

Werewolf Girl and Jennifer C like this.
#9 Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned

Comments like this annoy me:

"You can so easily decline that piece of milk chocolate by saying, “No, thank you” instead of “EW, I can’t eat THAT, I’m VEGAN.”

I can assure you, almost nobody cares that you’re vegan"

It's far more likely to pan out like this:

"Would you like some chocolate"

"No thanks"

"Oh go on, forget about the diet"

"I'm not on a diet ~ thanks for offering but I'm fine"

"Oh go on, I won't tell anyone"

"I don't eat milk chocolate, but thanks anyway"

"Why? Are you allergic/mad?"

finally ....................  "No, I'm vegan"

"Oh"   :stinkeye: <<< will no doubt later whine on Facebook about me forcing my beliefs on them

#10 Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

Comments like this annoy me:

"You can so easily decline that piece of milk chocolate by saying, “No, thank you” instead of “EW, I can’t eat THAT, I’m VEGAN.”
I can assure you, almost nobody cares that you’re vegan"

It's far more likely to pan out like this:

"Would you like some chocolate"
"No thanks"
"Oh go on, forget about the diet"
"I'm not on a diet ~ thanks for offering but I'm fine"
"Oh go on, I won't tell anyone"
"I don't eat milk chocolate, but thanks anyway"
"Why? Are you allergic/mad?"
finally ....................  "No, I'm vegan"
"Oh"   inquisitive.gif <<< will no doubt later whine on Facebook about me forcing my beliefs on them

Exactly!!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#11 Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't care what someone else's dietary habits are, but if you are having B/BR/L/LI/D/S/DE at my house, I'd like to know. I'm not comfortable with "Here's your carrot stick while the rest of us have a huge, delicious smelling hearty meal.:rolleyes:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The default in society is to eat meat, and assume that everyone else does, so when someone casually mentions that they've just had a very tasty hamburger nobody notices, but if you're a veg*n and you just as casually mention the delicious veggie burger you had for lunch then it's suddenly considered to be "pushing your diet down everyone's throats" (if you'll excuse the pun) and being preachy about it. It's much the same way that homophobes consider an LGBT person to be "shoving their sexuality down people's throats" if they so much as kiss their same-sex partner out in public, whilst completely ignoring the opposite-sex couple doing exactly the same thing right next to them.

Werewolf Girl and Naturebound like this.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#13 Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

What a brat, even the title is ridiculous. If she really "gets it" about being vegan, to the point of not wanting or needing to hear about it from them, why on earth would she be offering them milk chocolate?

From the gist of the comments, it looks like she might be the only non-vegan on the campus of San Jose State!

#14 Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks like and idiot wrote that article.
#15 Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

This subject would never bother me for more than 3 1/2 seconds.  Over the years I've learnt to only bring it up when someone is discussing having food someplace.  Then the questions start.  I now tell the interested party that its boring and move on.     Sorted.

If one shows a genuine interest then I will be helpful.

Frame

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#16 Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

AAaaaa..

..  diddly....

#17 Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Commented on this on twitter. Terribly written article with swathing assumptions and stereotypes.
#18 Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Who on earth is that David Wishengrad in the comments section?  He says so much, but doesn't actually say anything at all.  What's he banging on about? - can anyone explain to me because I haven't got a clue what he trying to say.  

The only thing I got was the 'don't dare call yourself vegan' so I guess he thinks he's the top dog in the vegan police department, and then lots of wittering on about planting truthful seeds, whatever he means by that.

Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#19 Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Who on earth is that David Wishengrad in the comments section?  He says so much, but doesn't actually say anything at all.  What's he banging on about? - can anyone explain to me because I haven't got a clue what he trying to say.  

The only thing I got was the 'don't dare call yourself vegan' so I guess he thinks he's the top dog in the vegan police department, and then lots of wittering on about planting truthful seeds, whatever he means by that.

I kept reading his comments trying to get his vibe...Ever read the label on Dr. Bronners bottles? The All One... It's like this guy took that quirly philosophy and went mad with it! 

He's basically saying that vegan is a adverb, or adjective- whatever grammatically, but not a noun. Somehow he gets super upset with semantic I guess. Way more than quirky!

Werewolf Girl likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#20 Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I kept reading his comments trying to get his vibe...Ever read the label on Dr. Bronners bottles? The All One... It's like this guy took that quirly philosophy and went mad with it! 
He's basically saying that vegan is a adverb, or adjective- whatever grammatically, but not a noun. Somehow he gets super upset with semantic I guess. Way more than quirky!

I have one of those Dr. Bronner bottles in my shower, all the ranting on it is so weird! laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#21 Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I have one of those Dr. Bronner bottles in my shower, all the ranting on it is so weird! laugh.gif

I'd never heard of Dr Bronner before so I had to go and google it.  

Wow, how amusing that he plasters his washing products with stuff about god!  And yes, I see exactly what you mean with the comparison :-)

#22 Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Life is Most Important in Life is The Most Important Truth in Life

Deny this as not only True, but also The Most Important Truth, with Life, and you commit hypocrisy (lie).

Those of us that wish to promote widespread environmental change have a greater responsibility to have our thoughts, words, and actions, better rooted in Truthful reality than the persons not trying to make large scale environmental change. That's how it really is.

Now, I will respect you, even after your personal attack of me speaking non-sense because the Truth says you are Most Important and not because you are vegan.

Whether I see you are a doctor, a lawyer, or vegan, or a teacher never trumps seeing you who you really are: Most Important.

Look around you. Entire families have been lined up further than the eye can see and tossed into the fire for nothing more than peaceful beliefs many times in human history. We have fought many wars. We are currently committing the greatest holocaust of Life in all of human history for nothing more than personal gratification. All the while we face nine ways to Sunday of mutually assured destruction, all of which we can talk about in depth for days, all of which are real dangers requiring correct action on the part of many people, and in all reality we probably face another ninety that we don't even know about.

I speak the Authority of the Most High. I speak The Most Important Truth in Life. I remind others that they see it too and to listen to what the Truth tells them, not me. I remind others that not only is Life Most Important in Life, True, The Most Important Truth in Life, but also how this is True by their own eyes and observations. How Life is required before love, friendship, family, happiness, and even a "True" Living God. That we are Life, a Truth. As such, we are limited by the very Truth of who we are. That our real possibilities are only found in what is Truthfully possible. That for us to say we can change our own past is as fanciful illusion and out of step with mutually observed reality as saying life is not most important in life. That, The Most Important Truth in Life always is Most Important in Life and a result, EVERY SINGLE WORD out of our mouths must agree with this Truth or it is a lie. There ARE NO EXCEPTIONS! That's mutually observed reality. 'Life is Most Important in Life' is defined, mutually observed, incontestable, undebatable, "Truthful" reality.

Now, you want people to make better choices or not? Are you going to lie to them and tell them they are, 'somehow', less than most important and then to actually make decisions properly? You want to undermine who they really are to put forth a cause you have? But, if not for the Truth of your cause then why should anyone take your cause seriously. But if not for the Truth of your cause does your cause have value.

The value of any cause is the Truth of that cause.

It is the Truth that enriches, protects, and encourages Life: That which is factually and Truthfully Most Important in Life.

The Truth gives a cause value because it's the Truth that gives Life Importance.

The Most Important Truth in Life says we are all Most Important, Life, and Equal in this respect to the Truth.

If you want people to make better choices use the Truth to get it done. Nothing works better, ever has, or ever will.

Nothing stated above is philosophy or theory. It's Truthful fact. The Authority of The Most High, the Word (Truth), says, "Life is Most Important in Life.

Even if you get the whole world to choose veganism we still will face disaster if the Importance of the Truth is denied.

We are not vegans. To say so is to lie when trying to help others when they need the Truth.

If a person cannot admit that Life is Most Important in Life, upfront, without issue, they do not hold what is Most Important as Most Important.

If a person cannot get that, or does not get that, then nothing we can say to them will be held in a Truthful location within them.  It comes before veganism. Others must be able to choose the Truth, see the Truth, and accept the Truth. We must have sane thoughts first to make decisions properly that will last.

It's a yes, or its a no.

There is no middle ground.

"Yes', Life is Most Important in Life" and this is exactly 'how' what I say to you relates to the issue being presented.

This is True to me, to you and True in what we communicate with others if we wish our work at saving Life to be as fruitful as Truthfully possible.

We can't be vegan because we are Most Important. To say so is to lie and impart inequality to another through the use of semantics to ignore what is factually Most Important in Life.

So yes, if you say to me you are a vegan I will say to you that you are not a liar, but have lied. We are not our actions. I will remind you that even Hitler was Most Important to the people he took their very Life from.

Did I say "it" enough yet? Life is Most Important in Life. Life is Most Important in Life is The most Important Truth in Life. Just remember that. The Truth is the leader. That's a reminder message of what you already know, yourself. It will reprove itself to you again and again for the rest of your Life. It will always be True. You will never read words that are more valuable, as those words are the Word, witnessed in mutually observed reality.

Anyone that disagrees does so in hypocrisy. Yet, the Word stands on its own as True. It is as sane as how we can't change our own past and as sane as how we are Truthfully alive.

Truth is very real. The Most Important Truth in Life is actually The Most Important Truth in Life.

Now, as this most critical time in all of human history, with the greatest holocaust of Life occurring for personal gratification alone and us facing mutually assured destruction nine ways to Sunday.... are you really going to attempt to make a personal attack on the only person you have had contact with in your entire Life that reminded you of the Most Valuable Truth of ALL in Life?

Are you really going to challenge a person with over a million personal one on one talks with people about loving the animals?

Are you really going to imply to a person who has experienced more pain than being tortured to death a dozen times that Life is not most important in Life?

Are you going to try and ignore the Most Important Truth in Life with your first comment and then imply that you are somehow above The Most Important Truth in Life?

Are you going to pretend to others that some thought you have is somehow more important than what really is Most Important in Life?

Anything we have to say regarding a cause MUST have factual grounds in the Truth or we have lied.

I don't know what person invented this "I'm a vegan" lie, but that's what it is. It's a condescending lie that says, "I am better than you'. It's an ego fluffing lie that alienates others from our Truthful words of mercy and compassion. It's an outright dismissal of the Truthful equality of Life. It's an 'in your face I don't really know how to speak honesty' admission of the person presenting it. Look around on the Internet. You will find many people who state they don't like labels. There is good reason for it too. Do your homework. Ask the right questions. Keep your eyes and ears open. Do it all for Life, a Truth. Understand that Life has no importance, but by the Truth.

#23 Old 12-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Wow
#24 Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Wow

Indeed.

I know I drank rather a lot over Christmas but I didn't realise it would effect my comprehension skills quite so badly. David's post reads like gobbledegook to me. But perhaps when I'm stone cold sober it will make sense...?  or perhaps not!

#25 Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frame69 View Post

This subject would never bother me for more than 3 1/2 seconds.  Over the years I've learnt to only bring it up when someone is discussing having food someplace.  Then the questions start.  I now tell the interested party that its boring and move on.     Sorted.

If one shows a genuine interest then I will be helpful.

Frame

this.

Although a shrug of the shoulders and "because I feel like it" is my stock response nowadays.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page