The most vegan-friendly colleges - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Zelda Freak

peta2, PETA's youth division, released its first-ever rankings of the vegan-friendliness of every U.S. four-year public and private nonprofit college and university with a dining program.

Here are some results:

Scoring high (i.e. vegan-friendly) are...

• University of California, San Diego
  • University of Illinois
  • University of North Texas
  • And more...

Scoring low were...

• West Virginia University
  • Urbana University 
  • University of Nebraska at Omaha 
  • And more...

The school I went to - University of New Mexico got a C, which I'd agree with. They had very little vegan food. How does your college rate? 

I think this is a helpful list if you're a student looking for a school right now. 

See the entire list and all rankings - Vegan Report Card.

Werewolf Girl and yingchen like this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

This is good info, thanks for sharing! smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Not going off the rating, my school is about average. Not terrible but not superb in veg friendly fare, nor are the students to keep on picking it up. We have one all vegan eatey but it's not open as much as the other venues are. In my experience, when people go there I don't even think they know it's vegan...lol This guy comes over and looks at the tempeh taco mix and is like 'is that meat' and the server is like no it's soy and he's like "SOY? -_-" I tried to encourage him to try it but he went into some shpiel about how he avoids soy because there is too much estrogen........and then he was like "I need my protein" and I tried to explain to him that the other mushroom fill for the tacos had protein but he wouldn't listen. So yeah....tough crowd. The dining hall with vegan options has a lot of green variety but not any specially made vegan meals really, and they often label things wrong, like that shrimp soup that ended up being vegetaian @[email protected] They had vegan cake yesterday because I think I finally grilled them enough about it.

Our veg group while, not nonexistent.....Oh my god, leadership position issues galore and the "leader by way of other leaders dissapearing into oblivion" isn't handling everything right I feel, nor does she seem to really want to let me take charge. So instead of just asking me to cover a meeting she will miss, she just cancels it (and then doesn't respond to me when I ask why.)   *FUUUUUUUMMMESSS* They also don't seem to listen that well.....Sometimes I just want to handle things myself, ya know? UGGGGGH

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 AM

I just graduated from the University of North Texas, they are SO vegan friendly! They have a vegan cafeteria in one of the dorms that is vegan EVERYTHING, and my boyfriend and I go to eat there every Friday! :) 

#5 Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM

Haha, if you avoid soy for the estrogen but you're still eating meat, you're gonna have a bad time.

Thanks a lot, Jennifer! I can totally use this in my application essays lol.

Check out my blog,
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#6 Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Lotta F's in Florida schools, I see. mad.gif
A few A's though.
#7 Old 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM

It must be pretty hard to get an F, unless you're deliberately putting animal products in all the vegetables, or you don't serve vegetables at all o.o

Check out my blog,
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#8 Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM

I'm disappointed at my alma mater (Wellesley's) score. Back in the day they did pretty well with multiple vegan options every meal, a completely vegetarian cafeteria, and a dedicated vegan section in one dining hall. At that time it was more than most

#9 Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Not going off the rating, my school is about average. Not terrible but not superb in veg friendly fare, nor are the students to keep on picking it up. We have one all vegan eatey but it's not open as much as the other venues are. In my experience, when people go there I don't even think they know it's vegan...lol This guy comes over and looks at the tempeh taco mix and is like 'is that meat' and the server is like no it's soy and he's like "SOY? -_-" I tried to encourage him to try it but he went into some shpiel about how he avoids soy because there is too much estrogen........and then he was like "I need my protein" and I tried to explain to him that the other mushroom fill for the tacos had protein but he wouldn't listen. So yeah....tough crowd. The dining hall with vegan options has a lot of green variety but not any specially made vegan meals really, and they often label things wrong, like that shrimp soup that ended up being vegetaian @[email protected] They had vegan cake yesterday because I think I finally grilled them enough about it.

Our veg group while, not nonexistent.....Oh my god, leadership position issues galore and the "leader by way of other leaders dissapearing into oblivion" isn't handling everything right I feel, nor does she seem to really want to let me take charge. So instead of just asking me to cover a meeting she will miss, she just cancels it (and then doesn't respond to me when I ask why.)   *FUUUUUUUMMMESSS* They also don't seem to listen that well.....Sometimes I just want to handle things myself, ya know? UGGGGGH

Start your own group! Vegetarian shrimp soup huh... geez. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesstheglambert View Post

I just graduated from the University of North Texas, they are SO vegan friendly! They have a vegan cafeteria in one of the dorms that is vegan EVERYTHING, and my boyfriend and I go to eat there every Friday! :) 

That is awesome! You just would not think this would happen in Texas. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#10 Old 10-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Agreed! Props to TX for taking such progressive steps. My alma mater (Seton Hall University, New Jersey) currently sits at an F--ouch. But I'm guessing that has to do with the fact that no one's left any ratings or reviews yet.

#11 Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I was afraid of a trip to austin texas because I thought this too. Actually austin is voted the number one vegan city in the U.S. every few years, and is always in the top five.

I was surprised to find out my school got a D. They had a vegan station that served a very small entree every lunch and dinner. It was the same at both meals but I thought that was awesome and progressive. Hearing about an all vegan cafeteria makes me realize how incredibly far some places have come.
#12 Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM

From someone actually living in Texas: we have large populations of hindu indians living in all major cities and many small towns, along with many non relgious vegetarians. I'd like to bet anyone we have a higher percentage of vegetarians than many others states. Don't let the idea of bbq and steak deter you from visiting, almost every restaurant will have a couple of veg menu items even in small towns!

#13 Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Beginner

I'm actually shocked (in a good way!) at Virginia Tech's score. It's the biggest agricultural school in the state (and they're ranked pretty well nation wide too) and they actually have a mini factory farming type thing going on with chickens. So I thought they'd be pretty bad when it comes to veganism but they have a B! Yay! I'm glad I'll have lots of vegan options. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page