Changing the name - vegan- - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM

We have a business in texas... the tamal house. 

Apparently meat eaters folks, don't attempt to give our vegan and vegetarian tamales

a try. We think is because we say they are vegan and vegetarian! 

funny right?  Do you have any ideas what other name can we use, so they feel invited to taste 

our vegan tamales and then, love them, and buy them instead of regular ones?

[Mod edit to remove link]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Lighter fare?
#3 Old 10-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You could call one cheese and one tofu- or vegetable or whatever it is that you use to fill them. People will likely be more open to buying them. However, make certain that you mark at least the vegan ones in some way like with a leaf or a V and then have somewhere on the menu that says what that mark is for so that you don't lose your vegan customers. When I'm out with my friends or family and I don't know if something is vegan I just don't get it because I don't want to draw attention to myself and I figure that employees might not know and have to go look it up and cause a fuss.
Good luck!
'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe nutrition listing would help. 
Point out zero cholestorol, lower calories, heart health.

Are they priced lower? If they basically contain the same filling without the meat and cheese they should be. 
I've always been with people who would choose based on price!

As a vegan I'm quite offended to pay the same when I'm getting a product that costs less.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Give peas a chance

You could do separate menus. I've seen that before and like it.

You would have your standard menu that lists everything you offer. Don't specify which items are veg, but somewhere on the menu state that people can also ask for your vegetarian/vegan menu. Omnis ordering off the standard menu may end up trying veg tamales and liking them, without the stigma that comes from eating food labeled as veg. And you made the dining experience easier for veg*ns by providing a customized menu.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#6 Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Natty, on the mentioning of the V next to the name of the product. Ours usually look like this- (v). It just helps when you're a vego, to know what you're getting.

Though, everyone's suggestions are awesome. I just really like being able to look for a little vego symbol to check what I can and can't eat. If it wasn't there, I'd miss out on some pretty great stuff!

Do you just name your products by their ingredients? You might want to look at giving them all special titles. Grill'd here in Australia have vego burgers (all vegetarian but can be made vegan, they're awesome) call their burgers different names.

So, they have burgers called "The Field Of Dreams", "Bombay Bliss" (I have such love for it, best chickpea patty in ALL THE WORLDS!) and "Garden Goodness".

Maybe try something like that?

#7 Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Yummy, luv vegan tamales.

Instead of "vegan" call them what they are. I make tamales with spinach/mushroom/chipotle filling and sell them as "Spinach Mushroom Tamales".

Also gotta make sure bc I have come across this too often, are your tamales truly vegan? No lard/manteca, no chicken or beef broth, and no dairy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page