Oh the omnis we turn. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I learned today an old professor of mine went vegan off of a paper I wrote on the potential for personhood in dogs.

Has anyone else had a surprising omni that turned vegan?
LovingGrl72 likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM

My husband! But, surprisingly, it wasn’t me who finally turned him over. I’ve been cooking vegan food for more than 7 months at home, but I knew he ate animals outside the house.

Yesterday, he went to Subway with the kids, who both ordered a vegan meal with avocado. My daughter even asked for a bread that wasn’t made with milk and egg (I don’t know what bread she got served, but you’ve got to admire my 3rd grader). But my husband went with what he’s used to, out of habit, and ordered some Teryaki chicken with cheese. When he sat down with the kids, my daughter lectured him on how there were so many options on the menu, and why on Earth did he chose to eat some dead animal?

Ensued a defensive posture in which my hisband, quite ruffled, real omnivore-like eventually said: “Who do you love most, animals or humans?”
She replied: “Well, I don’t eat humans either!”

Later he told me how he just couldn’t make a come back, no matter what he said she slammed him to the wall with such logic he was completely baffled. And mute. I asked him: “Now that you’ve had time to cool down, do you actually have any arguments for eating what you did?” And he said: “No.”

So today, he came back home all giddy telling me he had the meatballs spaghetti at the office’s cafeteria, but he asked for it without meatballs (I know... Give him time). He said, referring to our daughter: “She got me. I’m a vegan now.” — some things still need to be clarified here, but hey, if he plans on living the vegan vida loca, I can forgive his beginner’s mistakes!

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#3 Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

laugh.gif children's logic ftw!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Yay!

#5 Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Fantastic both of you!! Over the weekend I was talking with a friend of mine who is one of those people under the impression that vegans still eat fish or shrimp... We had a nice conversation in which she asked me a lot of questions. In my explanation of some of the factors that lead to me going vegan, I cited the movie Earthlings and what a profound effect it had on me. Now here's a girl who gives me a hard time for my no meat or dairy ways. She called me about an hour after I'd left to let me know she had googled Earthlings and found a place to watch it free online. She reached out to me 1/4 of the way through the film to tell me how horrified she was. She still made comments like "I personally could never be vegan...etc." but I was floored at being able to get someone of her mindset to even research let alone watch that film - without ever even having suggested she watch it! I felt really good about it.
River likes this.
#6 Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Ankle Biter

I influenced someone, but I'm sure she was going to become vegan eventually anyway - it was her true nature.
Aristede and River like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't turned anyone, but I've gotten some of my friends and family to reconsider their eating habits. I'm particularly interested in the health and environmental aspect of plant-based diets, so I've been sharing many great recipes that I've cooked on Facebook (with pictures) and have been giving my own story and personal advice on how to incorporate more plant-based foods. I have friends who tell me they order vegetarian things at restaurants at times or even try cooking veggie food at home. This week, my own family is going to be eating more plant-based meals. While they are still total omnis, they are aware of the benefits of a diet change from the different medical presentations that I've been showing them. They're learning that veggie food can be tasty as well as healthy. Yes, I have to cook more often for the whole family, but if it means that we all eat better, then that's a good thing (though I do wonder what they're going to do when I leave again...)

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#8 Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't really converted anyone...yet...But one of my friends is toying with the idea of going vegetarian and then gradually vegan. She has been asking about some of the stuff I tend to eat - recipes and ideas...She is already halfway there- she cooks and eats a bunch of vegetarian/vegan stuff (tofu, veganaise, meat substitutes) - just needs to cut out the meat and stuff! Hey - it's a start! Cross your fingers! 

I also found out that another friend of mine is vegetarian- her whole family actually. A couple others are also vegetarian. So that's pretty cool! Nice to have people around with similar views as you. Of course, I still have a bunch of friends who are omni because "meat tastes good" but what can you do? Some will consider it, some just won't, right? I also overheard a bunch of people talking about going vegetarian/vegan - we are successfully converting people...It must be all of our vegan treats. :evil: 

Aristede likes this.
#9 Old 10-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

It's funny really, I spent 19 years as a vegetarian and other than my children, not one of my friends turned veggie, but within 6 months of turning vegan, four of my friends turned vegetarian. A couple of years on and a fifth turned veggie and is now taking steps towards being vegan (he has just cut out milk and eggs). It's a great feeling when your friends turn veggie or vegan as you know you are responsible for saving more animals :-)

Aristede likes this.
#10 Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 AM

I haven't turned anyone yet, but I've taught my friends some good vegan recipes.

One of my friends has almost completely cut out meat now since I've shown her how cheap it is to be veg*n. She's a single mom and a student and says that she spends a lot less on food now that she eats beans and lentils instead of expensive organic meat. It makes me so happy to see, she eats a lot healthier now too.

Aristede likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page