Need encouragement! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 PM

I have been vegan for almost two months. I am proud of my decision and have had a pretty easy time making the transition. I am a stay at home mom with little ones to feed, so I've been making a lot of our old stand-by's in vegan form, adding beans instead of meat, but I am getting sick of them! I need some new ideas. I am sick of beans!!! I need some easy, quick recipes or meal ideas that will pull me out of this funk. Please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

What kinds of beans have you tried? There's a variety out there. Have you tried quinoa? That's a good protein source, as are nuts. What are your recipes? Perhaps knowing what you do make can help us out.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on making the change!

Well, beans are awesome.... But I can see how you'd be getting sick of it!

I eat a lot of stirfry/curry dishes because they're easy to make!

When the recipe calls for chicken, I usually add in some firm tofu. (I use a brand called Blue Lotus, if you do a Google search of "Blue Lotus Tofu Nuggets" you should be able to find a picture. They may not be available in your area, but if you can find something like them, they're the easiest tofu to cook that I've found! I chop the cubes into halves or quarters).

If a recipe calls for cow, I add in mushrooms instead. Not the same texture, but the flavours of a sauce that works with cow, works just as well with mushrooms! Plus, it doesn't take as long to cook through as meat does!

Eggplant is also really nice! I haven't cooked with it yet, I've only had it in restaurants (how terrible does that sound!) so I can't give you any hints on cooking it. But it tastes REALLY nice.

Burritoes are easily made vegan. Though, if you're starting to get sick of beans, it might be a bit hard :P

There's plenty of tofu scramble recipes out there, just like egg except it tastes better. You can add in things like mushroom, capsicum, onion and then put it in a wrap!

Let us know what you like to eat and I'm sure there'll be more suggestions than just 'beans' (though honestly, I really do love beans. They're amazement!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps you should try cooking more whole grain pasta dishes. Whole grain (as well as regular) pastas are loaded with protein. Have you considered split peas or dals? They're a nice change when you're tired of beans. Also, instead of focusing on replacing meat, perhaps consider dishes that aren't meat-dependent (like pasta, veggie curries, chili, stir-fry). When you start changing your mindset about meals (instead of trying to replace the meat) you'll find meals more satisfying.

Do you try to cook with different spices, such as those from different world cuisines? Many common spices are used in the world differently than they are in the United States. For example, cinnamon, star anise, and clove are often used in savory applications in India (masala) and China (five-spice, etc) whereas these are almost always used in sweet applications here in the United States. 

Like Purp suggested, try quinoa. Brown rice, barley, bulgar, and millet (as well as other ancient grains) are also high in protein. (You can find some of these grains in the rice/bean section of the supermarket). Don't forget that vegetables also provide necessary protein as well. Try sneaking beans or some grains into a salad or pasta, so that they aren't the centerpiece, but you're still getting necessary protein. Also, consider incorporating edamame (soybeans), tofu, or tempeh into your diet if you are able/willing.

It's important to have diverse sources of protein in your diet, since not all essential amino acids are found in all protein sources.

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#5 Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Like Purp suggested, try quinoa. Brown rice, barley, bulgar, and millet (as well as other ancient grains) are also high in protein. (You can find some of these grains in the rice/bean section of the supermarket). Don't forget that vegetables also provide necessary protein as well. Try sneaking beans or some grains into a salad or pasta, so that they aren't the centerpiece, but you're still getting necessary protein. Also, consider incorporating edamame (soybeans), tofu, or tempeh into your diet if you are able/willing.

OMG, YES! YES TO THE TEMPEH! I really enjoy eating tempeh, whenever I can get my hands on it. The texture is awesome and it really does take in whatever flavour you're using at the time (I like it just with a bit of pepper and salt, but put it in a peanut butter sauce? It's the bomb!).

#6 Old 09-27-2013, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I know you say you are sick of beans, but maybe you are not aware of different ways to prepare and eat them?  For example, I make a bulgur wheat, tomato, and red lentil sauce that can go in tacos as a "hamburger" taco filling and just add Mexican seasonings like cumin and chili powder etc.  Or I can use the same thick sauce filling as a spaghetti sauce and change the seasonings to oregano and garlic.  Or I can make it thicker and use as a sloppy joe sandwich filling and add green pepper and onion and ketchup (homemade or non gmo store brand).

There is vegetarian split pea soup, lentil and vegetable soup, crockpot chili, white bean and carrot curried ginger soup to name a few of those.  Last night I made a chili bean burger by just mixing together a can of pinto beans, oat flour (any hearty flour would work), grated carrot, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, tomato paste, and spices and made patties out of it and heated them in a nonstick skillet.  I added liquid smoke and OMG they were sooo good!  I had roasted carrot "fries" with it and spinach.  the whole shebang took maybe twenty minutes tops.

Sandwiches:

tempeh, lettuce, tomato, and vegan mayo on seeded whole grain bread (there are tons of recipes for making your own vegan mayo also and even soy free and low fat oil free versions which I have tried and are wonderful)

Roasted chickpea, bell pepper, yellow squash, mushrooms in baguette bread or in a pita with homemade pineapple sauce added;  I am willing to bet kids would like this one

Grilled sandwich (or not grilled) with tomato slices and avocado; add vegan earth balance butter or else coconut oil to grill with.

Wild rice burgers, carrot lentil patties, chickpea and corn patties, black bean burger, tons of recipes for veggie burgers out there

Tempeh Reuben's if you like sauerkraut

Portobello mushroom burger grilled with onion and liquid smoke

lemon basil vegan pesto to add to sandwiches

white bean lemony dip or spicy kidney bean dip or hummus with pasta or in sandwiches

Grain based dishes:

quinoa, almonds, cherries and spinach for a main dish

Quinoa with raisins and grated carrot

chana masala over millet or brown rice

crockpot millet or steel cut oats, apple, cinnamon and chopped walnut or leave out the walnut (kid friendly)

Countless vegan pancake recipes (lemon, pumpkin, banana, chocolate, buckwheat with blueberries, oatmeal, peanut butter pancakes all come to mind); I sometimes do tempeh "bacon" on the side or a leafy green with nutritional yeast sauce on the side for an extra boost of nutrients; even a bowl of fresh fruit with chopped nuts or seeds on the side

creamy polenta with a tomato sauce and zucchini and vegan parmesan (ground up nuts and nutritional yeast) over it; kids might like creamy polenta as a breakfast food.

tabouli with buckwheat groats or bulgur wheat

soba noodles, sautéed savoy cabbage, onion, tamari or soy sauce; Kids might like plain soba noodles with soy sauce and something on the side.

I also like to throw together wild rice, mushroom, cabbage, onion, and crumbled tempeh or green lentils in a skillet and sauté and add seasonings like sage or onion powder etc

others:

baked potato topped with steamed broccoli and homemade nutritional yeast sauce (or a vegan melted cheese); baked potatoes are extremely versatile and you can add just about anything to them.  Kids like potatoes too.  :)

polenta slices with vegetarian baked beans (or make your own baked beans) on top; serve with a side of corn bread and a veggie.

sweet potato and black bean burritos

sweet potato and kale coconut milk curry; you can add black beans to this also or anything else you want.

black bean potato and corn enchiladas with corn tortillas and enchilada sauce (if you search carefully you can find vegan friendly enchilada mixes at grocery stores and you just add a can of tomato sauce with it and maybe some plant milk to make a nice creamy sauce to go over this dish)

potato, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, onion with coconut curry (a version of Aloo Gobi)

chickpea flour omelets with salsa or nutritional yeast cheese or cashew cheese and loaded with veggies such as tomato, spinach, mushroom, squashes, chard, broccoli etc

macaroni with cashew alfredo sauce or nutritional yeast sauce or cauliflower based cream sauce or a homemade gravy or just vegan commercial cheese melted on it

When I first went vegan one of the most helpful recipe sites for me was Vegweb.  There is such a huge variety of recipes on there, and so many are simple every day familiar ones for people transitioning to vegan.  Also, a lot of local libraries now stock vegan and vegetarian recipe books.  And of course the recipe section here is pretty good too.  :)  I have photos in my profile of some of the vegan dishes I have made.  I do this a lot, photograph my food, to show omnivore relatives, coworkers, friends etc that my diet is not restricted to salads and tofu lol.  Hope this helps!

Aristede and ck1key like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Naturebound, I'm going to utilize this extensive list for my own purposes. It is excellent. :wayne:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#8 Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Wow, thank you guys! This has definitely helped. I had been eating a lot of one pot bean dishes over quinoa and rice. I think I'm needing more texture to my meals. Anyways, this is so helpful! Thanks again!

#9 Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Naturebound, I'm going to utilize this extensive list for my own purposes. It is excellent. :wayne:

Thanks Aristede.  :)

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page