Vegans wants Starbucks to remove dairy from its Pumpkin Spice Latte mix - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Vegan protestors are calling on Starbucks to take the dairy out in one of the company's most popular cold-weather drinks: the Pumpkin Spice Latte.
A petition on Change.org asking for a dairy-free version of the drink has already collected 1,500 supporters.
Those who order the spiced coffee with soy milk or without the whipped cream, and thought there were no animal byproducts, would indeed been getting a dose of moo in their mugs.
The reason why is that the syrup used to flavor the drinks contains condensed milk, which is just processed milk. While the syrup formula hasn't changed and some vegan blog discuss this, some customers say they feel duped because there is no information about dairy contained in the drink, which could be a problem for those with an aversion to milk --either due to health or ethical reasons.
One person who commented on the petition page wrote: "Starbucks should service all its customers including vegans and people wiith (sic) dairy allergies."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/09/11/vegans-wants-starbucks-to-remove-dairy-from-pumpkin-spice-latte-mix/#ixzz2ed5h928B

This would be awesome! Sign the petition and maybe they'll change it, you never know. wink3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 AM
 
aniaraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: bromsgrove united kingdom
Posts: 145

I ahve signed this. I am not vegan but i believe that there should be other options for vegans

aniaraven is offline  
#3 Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Beginner
 
Tissigirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 153

Thanks for sharing!  Pumpkin Spice Latte is my favorite Starbucks drink.  At least the company is good about listening to the requests of vegans and the like.  

Tissigirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761

I hate pumpkin drinks, but I did sign :) 

 

I usually make coffee drinks at home (cheaper, for sure vegan, etc). I wonder if there's a way to make a homemade pumpkin latte at home. I make homemade pumpkin pie ice pops (vegan) and they're pretty amazing. In fact, I should post that recipe. But that's not exactly the same. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#5 Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Give peas a chance
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
 

I hate pumpkin drinks, but I did sign :) 

 

I usually make coffee drinks at home (cheaper, for sure vegan, etc). I wonder if there's a way to make a homemade pumpkin latte at home. I make homemade pumpkin pie ice pops (vegan) and they're pretty amazing. In fact, I should post that recipe. But that's not exactly the same. 

 

I don't know about lattes, but I love Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea. I add a little almond milk and it tastes like liquid pumpkin pie. It's even better with a shot of maple syrup.


Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Mojo is offline  
#6 Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
PerfectxDefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hueytown, Alabama
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I don't know about lattes, but I love Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea. I add a little almond milk and it tastes like liquid pumpkin pie. It's even better with a shot of maple syrup.

I love Celestial Seasonings! I mix their peach and red roobis together all the time to make "peaches and cream" it is AMAZING. The holiday blends Sugar cookie, Gingerbread and Candycane taste just like the real thing. ♥
Mojo likes this.
PerfectxDefect is offline  
#7 Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 AM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 645

Does Starbucks charge extra for its soy lattes in the US? Here in Singapore it costs 80 cents to use soy, which I at first thought was the necessary sacrifice I had to make to have my drinks vegan, but then I realised that The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf lets you change to soy for FREE, and I was sold. I'm never going back to Starbucks again lol.


Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#8 Old 09-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
PerfectxDefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hueytown, Alabama
Posts: 229
Yes they do. Unless you have a little membership card. It is unnecessary, Soy milk is not expensive and since they use shelve stable soy milk its not like lhe lesser sales causes waste. Soy milk cost less in my state than dairy as well which annoys me further.
PerfectxDefect is offline  
#9 Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 AM
 
southernbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 84

Yeah, I always get a little annoyed with my starbucks for charging for shelf-stable soy milk and then making certain drinks non-vegan even with soy. We have a local coffee shop that not only doesn't charge for soy milk but also gives you the option soy, almond, or coconut milk. If a small local place doesn't lose money doing it, I don't understand why Starbucks couldn't at least swap out for soy for free. 

southernbelle is offline  
#10 Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post
 

Does Starbucks charge extra for its soy lattes in the US? Here in Singapore it costs 80 cents to use soy, which I at first thought was the necessary sacrifice I had to make to have my drinks vegan, but then I realised that The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf lets you change to soy for FREE, and I was sold. I'm never going back to Starbucks again lol.

 

Yeah they do - one reason why I make my drinks at home. I used to be addicted to fraps, but they always charge me tons for soy. Plus now I'm on an almond milk kick - not soy, and they don't offer almond milk at the Starbucks I've been to. 

 
Here's my homemade mocha frap recipe - cept now I'm making it with almond milk cubes vs. soy. 

~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#11 Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
 

 

Yeah they do - one reason why I make my drinks at home. I used to be addicted to fraps, but they always charge me tons for soy. Plus now I'm on an almond milk kick - not soy, and they don't offer almond milk at the Starbucks I've been to. 

 
Here's my homemade mocha frap recipe - cept now I'm making it with almond milk cubes vs. soy. 

 

Haha, I go to cafes to take out my laptop and hog the power socket. I'm just not very productive at home...


The drinks, on their own, are totally not worth the price and will never be worth the price lol.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#12 Old 09-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Veggie Regular
 
clarita osita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,862
Ignoring that the nearest Starbucks to me is almost 3 hours away (gasp!) and that I rarely buy it when I'm nearby, I'd love to see this become vegan. I'm not sure if I've ever had it but it sounds delicious!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
clarita osita is offline  
#13 Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Aaaand now there's an article in the LA Times dismissing it as a 1st world problem rolleyes.gif

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-starbucks-vegan-pumpkin-spice-latte-20130912,0,162060.story

Of course it IS a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more non-dairy options, if people don't make requests and express what exactly it is they want from a company they're never going to get it, that's just the way it goes.

However something good did come of this article, I learned about this:
Quote:
"We really welcome customer feedback like this," said the rep, who offered a couple of vegan alternatives to the latte. "We have our VIA Pumpkin Spice coffee that does not contain dairy. We also have our Pumpkin Spice Topping that you can finish the beverage with if a customer wanted to add that hint of fall."

I am totally going to look for the VIA pumpkin spice coffee to make at home now. lick.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#14 Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Aaaand now there's an article in the LA Times dismissing it as a 1st world problem rolleyes.gif

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-starbucks-vegan-pumpkin-spice-latte-20130912,0,162060.story

Of course it IS a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more non-dairy options, if people don't make requests and express what exactly it is they want from a company they're never going to get it, that's just the way it goes.

However something good did come of this article, I learned about this:
I am totally going to look for the VIA pumpkin spice coffee to make at home now. lick.gif

 

It reminds me of Jack Norris' complaint that veganism used to be an urgent demand for social change, but now a lot of vegans spend their time and energy discussing which products are vegan and which aren't, which makes it seem quite trivial as a social movement.

 

Of course, making veganism accessible matters too. And it's impossible to envision a vegan world without creating a rich culture that extends beyond just activism. However, much like in this case, the mainstream media enjoys pouncing on any opportunity to characterise vegans as a bunch of hippies who only know how to lament their first world problems. It sucks that the petition has attracted this kind of attention.


Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#15 Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

It reminds me of Jack Norris' complaint that veganism used to be an urgent demand for social change, but now a lot of vegans spend their time and energy discussing which products are vegan and which aren't, which makes it seem quite trivial as a social movement.

Of course, making veganism accessible matters too. And it's impossible to envision a vegan world without creating a rich culture that extends beyond just activism. However, much like in this case, the mainstream media enjoys pouncing on any opportunity to characterise vegans as a bunch of hippies who only know how to lament their first world problems. It sucks that the petition has attracted this kind of attention.

Yeah, it does suck but there isn't really anything you can do about it. People will find ANY excuse to mock vegans anyway so all we can do is keep on keeping on.

I think as long as we have a number of people promoting veganism in different ways, protesting and doing other activist activities like leafleting, etc then things will work out in the end. Veganism is becoming more and more acceptable in mainstream society, it's happening slowly but it is happening.

As vegans we can fight for larger social change and also little things like this at the same time, there's no reason it has to be a one or the other scenario.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#16 Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
clarita osita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I am totally going to look for the VIA pumpkin spice coffee to make at home now. lick.gif

My mom mailed some here to my coffee-obsessed husband. They're good. smiley.gif I haven't had them with milk since soymilk is hard to come by here, but they're nice on their own. The scent is stronger than the flavor, but for me that was fine. Nothing overpowering, like BOOM HERE IS PUMPKIN AND SPICES. Just a nice, slightly flavored coffee.
clarita osita is offline  
#17 Old 10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

My mom mailed some here to my coffee-obsessed husband. They're good. smiley.gif I haven't had them with milk since soymilk is hard to come by here, but they're nice on their own. The scent is stronger than the flavor, but for me that was fine. Nothing overpowering, like BOOM HERE IS PUMPKIN AND SPICES. Just a nice, slightly flavored coffee.

I tried it with hot vanilla almond milk and it was delicious! The milk made it nice and creamy and it definitely had that warm pumpkin spice taste. It sucks not being able to just walk into Starbucks and order a pumpkin spice latte but this is an excellent substitute. lick.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#18 Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 AM
 
veganshaveheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectxDefect View Post

Yes they do. Unless you have a little membership card. It is unnecessary, Soy milk is not expensive and since they use shelve stable soy milk its not like lhe lesser sales causes waste. Soy milk cost less in my state than dairy as well which annoys me further.

 

negative.

Even gold card members like myself have to pay the soy charge now because they changed their reward program and I hate it.

oh well, what can you do?

 

This petition isn't going to work let's be real that's the reason why it tastes so good. It's a pumpkin SAUCE not syrup. Have you ever had pumpkin spice syrup? It is literally simple syrup and nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. Tastes like crap :( unfortunately...

 

 

I hated that via pumpkin spice. I still have some (probably expired I would hope) from last year wahhhh.

 

 

Chocolate covered katies pumpkin spice latte recipe is pretty good :)  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/08/pumpkin-spice-latte-for-one/

I like the ambience of starbucks oh and not making my own lol :p

veganshaveheart is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off