Thoughts on restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I like to go out to eat with my friends for two majors reasons, beyond the selfish ones of course. I want to show people that vegetarians can be normal, accessible people. I hope to do a small thing to make it seam like a manageable lifestyle. I also want to encourage restaurants to cater to vegans because the easier it is, the more people will do it. But I keep running into problems. Last night I got a vegetarian fajita and asked for no sour cream or cheese. Guess what was on my plate. I didn't send it back because they said it would be thrown away and that is wasteful. Today I was going through a taco line, I said beans, tomato, lettuce only. When the guy stuck his hand in the cheese bin I exclaimed 'no cheese!' But it was too late. He scraped the cheese off, threw it in the trash, then handed me my taco. I'd already paid. I am doing as much bad as if I were eating dairy anyway. Does anyone have thoughts? Is it worth the small infractions to try to encourage vendors to sell vegan things? I really believe that if vegan were as easy as omni a lot of people I know would convert. Or am I doing something bad by risking being served dairy every time I eat out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Ugh, it's bad when that happens. It gets easier as you get more used to it. At the beginning of any order I always say "no cheese or dairy", and then I repeat it at the end. Restaurants will put cheese on anything, it seems. Even if I'm ordering a salad or soup I say "no cheese or dairy" because I've had them chuck cheese on those, too.
#3 Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes it is hard. It's like they cannot comprehend not wanting dairy. I know dairy has an opioid like component but still! I think about claiming I'm deathly allergic to dairy so they take me seriously to avoid a law suit, but I really hate to lie. I would like to note that Taco Bell is always fabulous when it comes to getting an order modification right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

Yes it is hard. It's like they cannot comprehend not wanting dairy. I know dairy has an opioid like component but still! I think about claiming I'm deathly allergic to dairy so they take me seriously to avoid a law suit, but I really hate to lie. I would like to note that Taco Bell is always fabulous when it comes to getting an order modification right.
I know what you mean. I wouldn't claim an allergy, but what about those that are allergic? So many restaurant employees seem clueless about what's in their food.
#5 Old 09-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Arg so I just ordered a veggie pita, no cheese, no mayo. sure enough it came with a pita sauce of some sort- possibly mayo. Arg I didn't even ask. And yesterday one of my taco bell tacos came with cheese, even though they were all supposed to be the same. Sorry I just needed to rant. Taco bell has never let me down so that was saddening. I prefer to blend in but I guess I need to be more adamant in ordering about my diet restrictions.

Edit: now my stomach hurts!
#6 Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM

I know what you mean!Today I went to breakfast with my dad and they buttered my toast.I felt so horrible sending it back and asking for toast with nothing on it because I hate getting special treatment.
#7 Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM

When I receive a contaminated taco bell burrito or veggie burger I either offer it to someone else or try to eat it myself.  I would rather be a little less pure than cause a little more harm.

#8 Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree and I did eat the taco, as well as the pita. I figure the damage is done and throwing it out won't help anyone. I picked off most of the taco cheese and fed it to a dog. I just feel guilty for trying to eat out when these things happen so I need to vent a little. It makes me debate whether I should even try to eat out anymore.
#9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post
I picked off most of the taco cheese and fed it to a dog.

I've brought home cheese bits in a taco hell wrapper for my cats. They were very appreciative.

#10 Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually send it back myself. If it's not what I ordered, it's not what I ordered. In the short run, yes, it is wasteful. In the long run though, hopefully, they will be more careful to fill the customers orders more carefully so they don't wind up throwing out, and paying for, their own mistakes.

#11 Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

In the long run though, hopefully, they will be more careful to fill the customers orders more carefully so they don't wind up throwing out, and paying for, their own mistakes.

Asking them to comp the meal or provide a certificate does the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page