I need to interview some vegans! :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM

Hi guys! I'm currently in year 12 (final year of high school): one of the subjects I am studying is Food and Technology. Part of this course requires me to put together a folio based around a topic, I have decided to base mine around vegan food, mainly because I am vegan myself. We have to do research regarding our chosen topic, and I would like to include interviews with people who are vegan. I've found conducting these interviews difficult, as I do not actually know anyone who is vegan, apart from myself... It would be a real help to me if a few of you would be kind enough to answer these 11 questions that I have put together: detailed answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! smiley.gif

1. How old are you, and what is your occupation?
2. How long have you been vegan?
3. Are any of your family or friends, also vegan? How many?
4. Were you a vegetarian before you became a vegan?
5. If yes, what led you to change? If no, why did you decide to become a vegan?
6. What is your opinion on the egg and dairy industries?
7. Has cutting all animal products out of your diet affected your health in anyway? (Neg or pos)
8. Are there any negative drawbacks that come with the uptake of a vegan diet?
9. Do you eat out often? Is it difficult to find places that cater for your needs?
10. Would you go back to eating meat and dairy products if all animals in the industry had lived a free and happy life up until the time of death?
11. Do you think the world would be a better place if we were all to stop consuming animal products? (Elaborate).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt95 View Post

23, law student.
Quote:
I think ten years, but I forget exactly.
Quote:
Yes, my father, partner, best friend, faculty advisor, and brother... so 5 off the top of my head.
Quote:
No, I quit animals cold zucchini.
Quote:
The eating of animals is unnecessary, therefore cruel.
Quote:
I feel they are just as, if not more, cruel than the meat industries.
Quote:
7. Has cutting all animal products out of your diet affected your health in anyway? (Neg or pos)
I lost a boatload of weight.
Quote:
Eeeh not really. I feel more aware of the suffering in the world, including the nonhumans constantly enslaved and murdered. But then I'm not sure if that awareness is what led me to veganism and ahimsa or if it is a product of veganism.
Quote:
9. Do you eat out often? Is it difficult to find places that cater for your needs?
Yea, maybe once a week. There is a pizza place down my street that makes pizza with daiya, a vegan cajun place, vegan burger places. I don't think I've ever had a problem.
Quote:
10. Would you go back to eating meat and dairy products if all animals in the industry had lived a free and happy life up until the time of death?
No.
Quote:
11. Do you think the world would be a better place if we were all to stop consuming animal products? (Elaborate).
Yes. I value nonviolent action or thought, and animal products are born from an animal who'd rather live and/or be free, and bathed in the violent red of blood.

Not to mention the affect animal agriculture has on climate change, so it is not even the hope for a better world, just the continuation of life as we recognize it.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

50, electrical assembler

about 2 1/2 years

No, just a couple lacto/ovo vegetarians

yes, fully for about 2 years prior and on/off before I had kids

I always knew eggs and dairy were horrible, it was a matter of being true to myself

Stupid, horrible, unnecessary, exploitative, greedy,

Positive. Could be better if I tried if I went back to more whole foods.

Saying no to foods without having a whole discussion about it, eating out, saying no to little candy bars at holiday time

No, more due to budget. Sometimes Chinese, or Subway if on the road.

No. No more than I've wanted to eat someone in a casket.-no. I find it bizarre that it's considered okay

Humans are omnivores to fit the situation. I can acknowledge there will be people who will still hunt in primitive methods for food. All in all however, most of the     world would be better off both physically, intellectually, and emotionally if we turned to raising plants for food, and expanded our methods.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt95 View Post

Hi guys! I'm currently in year 12 (final year of high school): one of the subjects I am studying is Food and Technology. Part of this course requires me to put together a folio based around a topic, I have decided to base mine around vegan food, mainly because I am vegan myself. We have to do research regarding our chosen topic, and I would like to include interviews with people who are vegan. I've found conducting these interviews difficult, as I do not actually know anyone who is vegan, apart from myself... It would be a real help to me if a few of you would be kind enough to answer these 11 questions that I have put together: detailed answers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! smiley.gif

23- registered nurse

6 months (vegetarian longer)

No, and I have never met one in person

Yes

It was obvious to me that killing animals for sustenance was wrong. I could always feel that meat was against my morals from the time I first really understood what meat was. Vegan is a strange thing to be and people are much less warm to vegans than vegetarians. I turned a blind eye to dairy and eggs because they are easier to ignore since in theory an animal does not have to die or be hurt to produce one glass of milk or one egg. But I finally couldn't ignore any longer that animals do suffer greatly and die in mass to produce eggs and dairy. Watching "Earthlings" brought home to me the fact that milk cows typically die at age 4, surviving only one fifth of their life expectancy.

I believe they are often horrific. I can not fathom a humane way to mass produce any animal product. No matter how good initial intentions may be, when things get tight money will always win over the welfare of the animals. Also no manager can account for all of the employees all of the time. The potential for abuse is too great and amplified by the inability of the animals to speak against the abuse.

Positive: my head feels clearer, I feel happier, I have more energy, I rarely feel sluggish like I always used to, I have far more endurance, I do not even have to think about managing my weight anymore, I transition much more easily between relaxed and active mode, I wake up and fall asleep more easily and I need less sleep.

Negatives: occasionally I feel really hungry and can't get full, eating only plants can be tiring because raw vegetables take a lot of work to chew and digest. Sometimes I am too tired of eating to eat.

8. Are there any negative drawbacks that come with the uptake of a vegan diet?f

Definitely. The negative drawback is the social aspect. Most people get visibly uncomfortable when it comes up that I do not eat animal products. It is also hard to know that I inconvenience people every time that shared meal times come around. Especially if I am eating with parents of friends and they don't know how to feed me. I bring canned beans, fruit, and avocados whenever I think I might be out during meal time in case people don't make something vegan, but I think people feel offended when I decline their food and eat my own. I hate inconveniencing people and I hate being considered a picky eater because if it was only a matter of taste and not ethics I really would eat anything. It is also hard when people want me to go to restaurants with them or want to all go in on a pizza, or an appetizer. My diet makes me stand out as the outsider more often than I like. For what it's worth, I consider the advantages more than worth it.

Yes. Where I am it is very easy. Most restaurants have something that is or can be made vegan. The staff is always very willing to accommodate me in small ways like withholding the cheese from my sandwich. Fast food is different. Taco bell is the only fast food I can eat, although I wouldn't call that a con. Taco bell is great at making substitutions and so turning their carnivorous menu vegan.

No, not meat. If I needed meat to survive or be healthy, I might answer differently, but I do not need it at all so it is pointless, needless killing and I do not want any part of it. Also, the surviving animals miss their slaughtered friends. Cows even have best friends. If the cows and their calves lived out their natural lifespans and were guaranteed to live a happy life, I would consume dairy but I would limit it severely due to environmental concerns.

11. Do you think the world would be a better place if we were all to stop consuming animal products?

Most definitely. The United Nations stated that the number one thing an individual can do for the environment is to adopt a vegan diet. Animal farming is second only to factory waste in environmental pollution. I believe people would be gentler and less violent if a dead carcass of slaughtered animal were not on their plate every day. People would probably have less health conditions and the burden of healthcare and the obesity epidemic would be lightened. Not to mention the end of the global holocaust of factory farmed animals.

(Elaborate).
#5 Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

1. 37, President of a small nonprofit
2. 7 years
3. yes, my mom and husband and son are vegan and I have a handful of vegan friends, I also have plenty of vegan acquaintances
4. yes, I was vegetarian for 24 years before I went vegan
5. I tried to go vegan once when I was 13 but it only lasted a year. I felt like it was "too hard" but kept it in the back of my mind as something I would eventually do forever. When I was 30 we moved to NYC and I ran out of excuses. It's just way too easy to be vegan there that I don't understand why everyone who lives there isn't vegan.
6. They are pretty damn evil
7. no
8. At first I had some issues with my sister for a while (who is vegetarian) because she felt I was judging her (I probably was). Also I struggled a bit when we moved back to Vegas because there simply isn't nearly as much vegan food available in Vegas as there is in NYC
9. I eat out too often, it's not good for my health. I have no problem finding vegan food at restaurants. Usually I already know where are good places to eat and where are bad places but I've always been willing to give any restaurant a shot - I just ask them to make me something special.
10. no I would not. I went vegetarian when I was 6 because I learned that meat = animals. It's just that simple for me. HOWEVER I would probably not be the vegan advocate that I am now if factory farming weren't so cruel and destructive.
11. Yes, I think it would improve human health tremendously (less heart disease, diabetes, cancer, food poisoning) and it would be better for the environment (less wasteful, less pollution). And obviously, it would eliminate the main reason that humans harm animals. I think there is potential humans would even be less violent towards one another.

#6 Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 AM

1. 28 and work for local government (pains me to say it).

2. I have been vegan for 5 months now

3. Me and my wife are vegan. We know quite a few vegans from eating in vegan restaurants and volunteering at animal sanctuaries. My sister, brother in law, sister in law and mother in law are all vegetarians. Where I am from vegetarianism is very popular and I would say around 1 in 8 people I know are vegetarian (which I personally find annoying as we would be much further forward if 1 in 8 were vegan!)

4) I was vegetarian for almost 2 years before going vegan, however, I wasn't bothered about cheese, wine, leather etc

5) 5 major influences led to my change. Firstly my wife was happy and healthy for nearly 2 years before I adopted the lifestyle. Secondly, watching Earthlings had a HUGE affect on me and when I think about it I feel sick to my stomach and couldn't live with myself if I contributed to that suffering. Thirdly, reading the work by Prof Gary Francione taught me how hypocritical we are as a species and how morally confused I was. Fourthly I watched Gary Yourofskys speech which made a lot of sense. Finally I spent 6 months in Africa working with chimpanzees which really drove the connection home I'm regards to how similar we are to animals emotions. I sat and thought about it for days on end out there and was sick of being a hypocrite when I have rescue animals which i love yet continue to consume animal products I do not need. My dog means everything to me so who am I to decid that my dog is anymore important that the average cow or chicken.

6. For me my main opinion of the egg and dairy industry is that it is massively misunderstood by the masses. The amount of people I speak to about veganism who say 'I understand not eating meat but what's wrong with egg and milk?'. People just don't understand the facts about how disgustingly cruel it really is. Like I said previously vegetarianism is quite popular where I am from and they believe what they are doing is enough because they do not know the facts.

7. No major changes in health I have less colds and flu's and sleep much better but I rarely got sick before. I play a lot of sports and since going vegan I have noticed I can train/play harder for longer.

8. Only negative thing about being vegan is putting up with all the rubbish that people speak when they know nothing about the subject. Some days are hard when you think about all the cruelty in the world but being sad or angry does nothing to help anyone.

9. We eat out a lot and it's fairly straight forward. You work out pretty quickly which places are accommodating and which can't be bothered. There has been a couple of occasions where ingredients have been served even though you have specifically asked for it without or it wasn't on the menu but you just send it back.

10. Nope I would never go back. My life is not important than any other sentient being so why would I kill one just for the enjoyment of my tastebuds? I just don't get why so many people are against veganism! If you can live a happy healthy life without hurting something why not do it?

11. The world would be a much better place. We need people to be far more altruistic and realise that the world does not revolve around their immediate bubble. We need to realise that we are killing the planet, each other and everything we share it with purely because we are greedy and narcissistic. The only reason animals go through what they do every single day is because we are greedy and treating them the way we do is cost affective for gaining the most profits. However, the animals have no chance until our species understand that hurting one another is stupid and pointless, no man who is willing to hurt someone from his own species is going to attach moral worth to animal and therefore they go hand I'm hand. The quote about wars still existing as long as there are slaughterhouses, is to me very very accurate.
#7 Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 AM

I'm 37 and a mom.

Since this past May

I don't know one other person that's vegan but my daughter is vegetarian

Yes, for about 5 years

Same thing that led to me being vegetarian. I learned more about the dairy and egg industries. I'm sad it took me 5 years longer to open my eyes.

Horrid, cruel, greedy

I've lost weight without even trying and continue to do so (I have plenty to spare).

Ordering out with my family is a drawback. My options are seriously limited around here.

As above, it's tough. Usually they'll order from one place and I'll order from another. It's sort of a pain but we manage.

No, never. I now find it repulsive.

Of course. Less cruelty, in any form, is always better.
#8 Old 09-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

29, customer support engineer

3 years

no family; 1 friend

yes 13 years

ethics. wanted to for years

cruel and unnecessary

yes. almost no sinus issues; much better skin

can't blindly eat food, especially street food in foreign countries

yes; most of the time no

10. Would you go back to eating meat and dairy products if all animals in the industry had lived free and happy life up until the time of death?
no, i don't like to be responsible for killing animals and they're not ours to use

yes. less violence, killing, environmental destruction. more food.
#9 Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Thanks to the people who replied! You've all been a massive help to me smiley.gif
#10 Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 PM

32. I'm a behavior analyst and own my own consulting business.

8 years on and off vegan--the last 2 have been 100% ethical vegan (extending beyond diet)

My husband is and the entire side of his family (mom, sisters, husbands, children). We also are part of several vegan groups and all of our friends are veg.

Yes, but I have been vegan longer than I've been vegetarian.

I made the change initially for health benefits. Over time the ethical concerns became priority.

They're the same as the meat industry. Meat, entertainment, experimentation...it's all about the exploitation and abuse of animals.

Yes. I used to have a number of health problems that disappeared when I started eating plants. I also never have to worry about my weight. I am the same weight as I was in high school. I also look a lot younger and healthier than other people my age. It could just be genes, but I think diet has a lot to do with it as well.

With knowledge and awareness comes a greater burden. I see people taking so lightly (or mocking) the things that are so serious to me. People often see this as just a dietary preference without realizing that it is so much more than that. I have a hard time relating to people because I can't understand them. Luckily, I have a great support network...but it hurts on a daily basis to be vegan and to see so much pain that others don't.

I only eat out at places that are on Happy Cow and are therefore have vegan options. Where I live there's plenty.

I would never eat meat again. However, in certain situations I might consume dairy again. For example, I love India and have traveled a lot there. But it is next to impossible to find food that does not contain milk. I have stayed at the Hare Krishna Temple there where the milk comes from cows in cow protection. I visited the cows and know that they are worshipped and loved and are taken care of for their entire lives. I would prefer not to consume milk because I think it is harmful for my health--but if I didn't have a choice I would in select situations. I think I am the type of vegan that uses my judgement in situations rather than adheres to a label.

If everyone respected all life, I'm sure the world would be a better place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page