After a long time talking bout it now doing it!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Hello first of all my name is Jessie Williams I am a male who now is back up to 370 pounds. I am on meds for high blood pressure and now border line meds needed for cholesterol.

I have been asking and asking about vegan eating in helping my health would do it for a few days then right back at the meat. I am now knowing if something dont change I will not live at this weight much longer.

I am going to the grocery store tomorrow and as asking for some help in some staples I should have on hand all the time.

I also am finding it really hard in getting over the non meat protein I am 40 and have been told all my life veggie protein is not complete and there are still people online saying this then you get others who have been eating vegan for many years and are fine.

I would also like to know how long I should wait to maybe get a b12 supplement.

Is there a certain amount of protein or any other food I should eat daily. CArbs or anything.

Please just asking for help this time so I last.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post

Hello first of all my name is Jessie Williams I am a male who now is back up to 370 pounds. I am on meds for high blood pressure and now border line meds needed for cholesterol.

I have been asking and asking about vegan eating in helping my health would do it for a few days then right back at the meat. I am now knowing if something dont change I will not live at this weight much longer.

I am going to the grocery store tomorrow and as asking for some help in some staples I should have on hand all the time.

I also am finding it really hard in getting over the non meat protein I am 40 and have been told all my life veggie protein is not complete and there are still people online saying this then you get others who have been eating vegan for many years and are fine.

I would also like to know how long I should wait to maybe get a b12 supplement.

Is there a certain amount of protein or any other food I should eat daily. CArbs or anything.

Please just asking for help this time so I last.

Thanks

Its often hard to switch abruptly to a vegan diet when you are accustomed to a more standard diet. Many vegans/vegetarians ease gradually into their diet. I would urge you to get some support from your health care provider. I suspect they can give you lots of nutritional advice and can suggest vegetarian/vegan-friendly weight loss support groups/consultation.

#3 Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Poo Pie Head

Congrats on the decision, and if done right (whole foods, no added oil, etc) it could definitely help you out with some medical issues.that being said, it isn't a magic pill, but it is much healthier.

As for the B12, even omnis are often deficient. You can always get your levels tested, of course and that is always a good idea. I personally just use some foods that have B12 added (soy milk and nutritional yeast). As always, use your doctor to get everything checked out.

When it comes to protein, soy and quinoa are the so called complete proteins. You don't have to worry so much about it, and food combining is not necessary. Just eat enough calories of a wide variety of plant foods and you will usually get more than enough protein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi catman!, welcome! hi.gif

Being vegan can mean a whole wide range of eating styles!

What's so hard to grasp is that it can be just as varied as using meat, eggs and dairy.

It takes time! It is true!

Plant proteins are at least equal to meat. They're cholestorol free too, and easier to digest. They also come with a lot of other nutrients.
The amino acids plants don't have themselves (common argument, and sounds very convincing) are formulated by the human body. The beauty of being an omnivore! Choice!

You don't need to eat rice and beans together all the time, just have a variety of different foods.

'

Check out the "transitioning to vegan" forum. Theres a lot about foods.

What kind of area are you in, in relation to veg friendly stores?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM

I live in a small city maybe 30,000 people no vegan stores. I put an ad in my local paper for a vegan I can get some answers from NOTHING.

I would like to thank you all for your answers..

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#6 Old 08-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post

I live in a small city maybe 30,000 people no vegan stores. I put an ad in my local paper for a vegan I can get some answers from NOTHING.

I would like to thank you all for your answers..

Well, you've got the web!

I worked with a man who'd actually been given last rites after an emergency triple bypass, after a heart attack, stents... type 2 diabetes. When he came back to work it was scary to be around him, mostly due to the enormous depression that veiled him.

Soon after, he found Dr. Caldwell Esserstyn, and his "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" book. 

He worked in a different dept. than me so it was absolutly shocking to see the weight he'd lost after not that long. People talked of how "unhealthy" he looked, so skinny. Nope! After a time he gained muscle, vibrancy--the biggest transformation I'd ever seen! All due to a very strict vegan diet.

Take on what you feel comfortable with now. Maybe a number of days a week, where you follow it completely, and give yourself wiggle room the others, and take it from there.

Go to amazon.com and check out the vegan books. The look inside feature will give you a lot of info. 
Just search the web for "vegan health" and recipes.

Eat to Live by Dr. Furhman has been a big help to me, as well as the "21 Day Weight loss challenge" by Dr Neal Barnard.

Get veggies, beans, lentils, whole grains. Make soup!

Baco's BTW, are vegan and one of my favorite toppings. They add that bacony smoky crunch to salads, sandwiches, and tofu. Thought I'd mention them 'cause I just had a BLT!. They're like 30 calories a tablespoon.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Good basic resources on vegan nutrition with recipes:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit (same kit: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/free-vegetarian-starter-kit.aspx)

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/making-the-transition-vegetarian.aspx

A vegan kickstart program that can be helpful to those interested in a veg*n diet (vegetarian or vegan).

http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=21day_vegan_kickstart&JServSessionIda003=upegog3qg1.app234c

Very easy recipes targeted at those interested in a veg*n diet:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/category/recipes/

More recipes targeted at beginners:

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/recipes/default.aspx

#8 Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're in the US, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some info.

In the meantime, check out these links:

The basics: http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans

The finer details: http://www.veganhealth.org/

To answer some of your questions...

- Staples: you need grains, legumes (beans, nuts, seeds), fruit, and veggies. Some good options to keep on hand all the time are rice, pasta, oatmeal, canned or dry beans, lentils, tofu, frozen fruits and veggies, dried fruits, nuts, condiments and spices, and a few convenience foods to make life easier.

- How much? Divide your plate in quarters and fill one section with grains the next with legumes, the next with veggies and the last with fruits. That's a good start.

- Start taking B12 now. You can't overdose on it so it won't hurt to take extra now. Better to just get in the habit now :)

#9 Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am glad to hear you are trying to get healthy. I have a few tidbits for you, but most of the people above have given good advice. My favorite proteins to keep on hand are canned blackbeans, avocado, edamame, and my homemade hummus (blended canned chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, and vinegar). Quinoa is a good protein that can be added into food, and tempeh makes a great protein for stir fries, salads, and sandwiches. Mushrooms are great because they have a meaty texture and have some protein.
Kale is a very cheap leafy vegetable high in calcium, which you should pay attention to if you give up dairy. Almonds also have calcium but are pricier. Most non-dairy milks have the same amount of calcium as cow milk (30% daily value per cup).
Also on the note of giving up dairy, mashed up avocado makes excellent butter, cheese, and mayonnaise replacement. I mash it up and put it on my sandwiches, or even in my quesadillas (which aren't actually quesadillas since there is no cheese) as an easy whole food option. Avocado or banana can replace butter and eggs in baking recipes too.
Don't be discouraged if you feel sick at first when you first really dive into vegetarianism. Some people experience a detoxification period, so give it a chance to go away. I felt sick for a week shortly after giving up meat.

Summary: my grocery staples
Bananas
Apples
Avocados
tomatoes
Frozen peas
Frozen broccoli
Kale
Canned black beans
Canned garbanzo beans
Quinoa
Carrot sticks
Tempeh
Nuts
Soy milk or almond milk
Brown rice
Mushrooms
Onion
Squash
Olive oil

Best of luck!
#10 Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Hi Jessie. I have struggled with weightloss all my adult life except for the last 2 months which is how long I have been following a vegan diet (I was vegetarian for over 10 years).

But the vegan diet by itself is not going to make you lose weight necessarily, especially if you are eating the same old food but vegan versions (i.e. fake meats and fries). Have a read of this article - the Fat Vegan.

I like to eat and I like to eat the volume I want to. The problem is that food I was eating had far too many calories from fat, even though it was vegetarian or vegan, and I never sustainably lost any weight. Similarly, if you follow a vegan diet but sit and eat bread dipped in olive oil you are not going to lose weight! I believe the key here is to eat whole foods (i.e. not processed) and vegan. This is what the Forks over Knives people and many others advocate.

Some pointers

- olive oil is processed; if you eat all the olives you like you will not get fat but if you eat the oil you will

- fake meats are processed; many of them have more fat and calories in them than the real meat equivalents!

- watch out for added sugar; a can of peeled plum tomatoes is tomatoes and water (OK), a can of diced tomatoes and peppers has added sugar (BAD)! You need to read labels.

- dried fruits often also have tons of sugar in them

- vegan cheese has just as much fat as the dairy version

- alcohol (beers, wine, spirits) have lots of calories - I'm not saying you should become a hermit but try to limit your consumption. I find beer to be good because I can't drink more than a couple without feeling very very full from the food I am eating anyway.

- soda, even diet soda, is not going to help - stick to water. You may not like it but it's just practice. After a month of stopping my 5x cans of diet soda per day and drinking only water, the next time I tried it I found it almost unpalatable for the chemical flavours I was getting.

Stuff to buy:

- any fruits (fresh or frozen)

- any vegetables (dried, fresh or frozen) - this includes beans/lentils which are an important staple

- nuts (unsalted) but don't eat too much

- brown rice (the dried stuff, not the pre-prepared)

- quinoa, couscous, bulgar etc - all whole grains

- nutritional yeast

- miso paste (lots of flavour but lots of salt so use sparingly until your blood pressure is under control)

- brags liquid amino (no salt soy sauce replacement)

- tofu (think of this as soy beans that have been mashed into a block) - technically processed but won't kill you if you eat loads.

- soy, almond, rice milks (unsweetened)

- muesli - look for cereals that are made of whole grains etc and don't have any added sugar.

Your meals should be mostly vegetables, beans and whole grains.

Recipes:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/category/recipes/

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/recipe-index

http://happyherbivore.com/recipes/

Ever since I started the vegan diet I have really enjoyed cooking again. I used to let my wife do all the cooking but now I'm doing it myself and having great fun doing so. And the surprising thing is that the food I'm cooking and eating is filling me up so much that I am struggling to eat anything more, yet I'm losing weight!

Good luck Jessie and do let us know how you get on.

#11 Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

Hi Jessie. I have struggled with weightloss all my adult life except for the last 2 months which is how long I have been following a vegan diet (I was vegetarian for over 10 years).

But the vegan diet by itself is not going to make you lose weight necessarily, especially if you are eating the same old food but vegan versions (i.e. fake meats and fries). Have a read of this article - the Fat Vegan.

I like to eat and I like to eat the volume I want to. The problem is that food I was eating had far too many calories from fat, even though it was vegetarian or vegan, and I never sustainably lost any weight. Similarly, if you follow a vegan diet but sit and eat bread dipped in olive oil you are not going to lose weight! I believe the key here is to eat whole foods (i.e. not processed) and vegan.

Extra virgin olive oil is no more "processed" than hulled grains or nutritional yeast. Moreover, when it comes to weight loss, total caloric intake is far more important than "processing". I think that being overly concerned with the wholeness or fat content of food when adapting to a vegan diet is discouraging (and not evidence-based).

Dean Ornish's clinically-tested plant-based diet is, IMO, more evidence-based than the more restrictive diets advocated by Esselstyn et al:

http://www.ornishspectrum.com/proven-program/nutrition/

While Ornish places olive oil and nuts at the same "level" of healthfulness, recent epidemiology suggests that olive oil consumption might be more beneficial than was appreciated:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2264872

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1200303

#12 Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM

Wow thanks guys for all the help and advice.

#13 Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

Extra virgin olive oil is no more "processed" than hulled grains or nutritional yeast. Moreover, when it comes to weight loss, total caloric intake is far more important than "processing". I think that being overly concerned with the wholeness or fat content of food when adapting to a vegan diet is discouraging (and not evidence-based).

Dean Ornish's clinically-tested plant-based diet is, IMO, more evidence-based than the more restrictive diets advocated by Esselstyn et al:

http://www.ornishspectrum.com/proven-program/nutrition/

While Ornish places olive oil and nuts at the same "level" of healthfulness, recent epidemiology suggests that olive oil consumption might be more beneficial than was appreciated:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2264872

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1200303

I don't disagree and I'm trying to deal with a complex situation with simple guidelines. However if you drink olive oil or if you gorge yourself on nooch, the impacts will be very different. For overweight people such as myself, we don't need to consume fats, we have plenty already!

#14 Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone else has already given so much great advice but I just want to say congratulations on your decision to go vegan! You can do it! rockon.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page