Diet balance. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 PM

I would like to get some information on how could i balance my diet.

For starters i will introduce myself. I am a 20 year old student from Lithuania and its almost a year since i became vegan.
It was okay for the first six or seven months but this past month ive been feeling quite bad because i feel exhausted and light headed most of the time during a day + it became pretty hard to concentrate on things. I am 1.85cm (6.06 feet) tall and weigh 54kg (119 pounds). For the breakfast most of the time i have a bowl of oat flakes with banana or an apple. After that i mostly have a bowl of long grain or brown rice every few hours (i mostly have about 3 or 4 bowls of rice per day) and for the dinner i eat some berries or an apple. Dont really know if its important but i do use spirulina tablets everyday aswell.

What do i have to add into my diet to start feeling better. By the way is there any place on the internet where i could find some easy and quick vegan recipes since im not a good cook nor i have enough time to spend in the kitchen. Thank you in advance for every response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

You need to add FOOD to your diet!

For your oat flakes do you add non dairy milk?

How about vegetables in your rice? Greens?

How about beans, lentils, nuts?

I would definitly suggest you look into B12 supplaments. It doesn't sound like you eat much or nothing that would be fortified, and there really isn't any in plant foods. Not even spirulina, though some may suggest it does.

I'm sure you can get beans, and lentils. Are soy products there-- like tofu or soymilk? 

We have many food threads here.

I'd also suggest doing an internet search on things you like followed by vegan

How is online shopping for you? For example can you get amazon.com?

I would suggest a vegan protein vitamin drink.

Welcome! You should fine a lot of help here!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks like you have grains and fruits covered but where are your legumes and veggies? Eat more beans, nuts, seeds and things made from them like peanut butter, split pea soup, bean chili, black bean soup, tofu, almond milk, lentils, etc. Example, with your oat flakes and banana add soymilk. With your rice, add stir fry veggies and tofu. At dinner eat the fruit for dessert and have something more substantial before, like a bean burrito or veggie burger with a salad.

Here are some basics about vegan nutrition:

http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans

Here's a meal plan designed to keep you healthy:

http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

You eat too much rice and not enough vegetables. However I expect that as a student your budget limits your ability to find and cook vegetables but you need to try!

Dried beans are definitely something you can add to your diet without much expense - they probably cost the same as the rice and if you soak them the night before, you can cook them with the rice.

But you also need some greens - find what's cheap in the local shops, perhaps looking for vegetables that are reduced in price or from farmers markets (or whatever they have in Lithuania). You can eat them raw, if you have a blender you can make smoothies with you banana, or you can cook them. I would cook a large amount on the weekend and freeze it in portion sizes and take them out every time I need.

Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon!

#5 Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Valerkaa :)

I think your exhaustion could be cured by adding more calories, proteins and fats to your diet - currently your BMI puts you in the underweight category. Eating a wider range of foods will help too, but do try to get a bit more in! Rye bread with peanut butter or spreads based on lentils or beans, hearty stews and soups made with potatoes, greens, rice/barley and bean, different fruits. Google some recipes and good luck!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#6 Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Thank you everyone for you help !

Information ive got from you was really helpful :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page