palm oil vegan food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2013, 05:38 AM

now guys many many vegan products contain palm oil what to do about that and some stuff are actually convenient and easy to use just fry put in a bun and eat if you don't have any time

wouldn't it be enough if the company said that they use sustainable palm oil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2013, 11:10 PM

I don't use any earth balance and I always check for Palm oil on an ingredients list.I have never had a problem with finding things Palm oil free.Also are you talking about veggie burgers? You can just make a ton of veggie burgers then freeze and heat when you want one.smiley.gif
#3 Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM

It depends on whether its palm oil (derived from the flesh of palm fruit) or palm kernel oil (derived from the kernels of the fruit). If you're going to cook with an oil you want it to be the highest percentage of saturated fat, which makes it stable at high temperatures. Palm oil is 41% saturated fat, which is too low for cooking. But palm kernel oil is 81% saturated fat, and safe for cooking. FYI coconut oil is 86% saturated fat and also good for vegan cooking. 

Just make sure it isn't processed and partially hydrogenated, which removes omega-3 and makes it a dangerous transfat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny87 View Post

It depends on whether its palm oil (derived from the flesh of palm fruit) or palm kernel oil (derived from the kernels of the fruit). If you're going to cook with an oil you want it to be the highest percentage of saturated fat, which makes it stable at high temperatures. Palm oil is 41% saturated fat, which is too low for cooking. But palm kernel oil is 81% saturated fat, and safe for cooking. FYI coconut oil is 86% saturated fat and also good for vegan cooking. 

Just make sure it isn't processed and partially hydrogenated, which removes omega-3 and makes it a dangerous transfat.

Thank you bt actually i am talking about that palm oil is killing the orangutans and destroying their homes and it's in a lot of vegan foods so what to do about that 

and if organic palm oil is from the same place

#5 Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

Thank you bt actually i am talking about that palm oil is killing the orangutans and destroying their homes and it's in a lot of vegan foods so what to do about that 

and if organic palm oil is from the same place

Organic means they don't use artificial fertilizers and pesticides (i.e. those that come from a chemical plant). Organic fertilizers can be made from fish meal and other animal products. And the reason they clear rain forests to plant the palm oil is because the soil is already very fertile so requires little or no additional fertilization. Organic is a useless label as far as use of animals is concerned - using animals as fertilizer is almost the epitome of organic.

I know Malaysia and Indonesia are large palm oil producers and I have only seen plantations that have replaced primary or secondary forest. I doubt that any palm oil is "orangutan" safe. Not to mention all the other creatures that lived in those forests.

If you're serious about this, then avoid all palm oil products. There is canola oil, sunflower oil, rape seed oil and so many others that it's not like you don't have a choice.

sam alshebany likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page