Going "Whole" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Poo Pie Head

Hey all, my gf and I are going to go to a more-or-less whole food diet for the month of September and I was looking for some advice.

1. What are some foods that aren't whole, but would seem like they are. (for instance, would soy milk count as whole?)

2. What are some non whole foods that you would recommend I keep in the diet due to them being either "mostly whole" or still have a wide nutritional profile?

3. Tips on setting up a new menu that has a wide array of food so we don't get bored. (I'm already kinda there on this one, but more tips would be appreciated).

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

People often have different things in mind when "whole foods" are discussed, but in terms of the so called " whole food plant based diet" promoted by people like Collins T Campbell (China study author) a food is concerned "whole" so long as you're eating the food item in its entirety (i.e., nothing has been removed or isolated) and its been, at most, minimally processed.

So traditional soy milk would be considered a whole food because its made by just grinding whole soy beans with water. But some commercial soy milks aren't because they are made from isolated components of the soybeans and other ingredients. From my experience, silk organic unsweetened soymilk is about as close as you can get to traditional soy milk in American grocery stores. The same things can be said of tofu.

There aren't any non-whole foods you need to consume, but unless you home make 100% of what you eat you're going to have to make some minor compromises. For example, in the above case, silk unsweetened soy milk isn't entirely whole, but practically speaking its close enough. I think other examples would be whole grain cereals with little/no added sugar (plain cheerios, shredded wheat, oatmeal, etc), commercial condiments, commercial 100% whole grain breads and so on.

As for foods, since added fats (earth balance, oils, etc) aren't used in whole foods based diets, you're going to have to increase your consumption of starchy foods like whole grains, legumes and potatoes to get enough calories. The base of your meals will be one, or a combination, of these three while vegetables, mushrooms, etc will complement them. There are a lot of different whole grains, legumes and starchy vegetables so the combinations are essentially endless and its usually not difficult to make your familiar meals into whole food meals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page