Chipotle Expands Vegan Tofu "Sofritas" to Oregon, Washington State and Vancouver - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chipotle-offers-vegan-sofritas/story?id=19807489

Yes! Can't wait to try it! carrot.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It's good! A little spicy smiley.gif
#3 Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM

Hopefully they'll make there way to the east coast before too long

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Beginner

I tried it today! I had to spend just about my entire lunch break in line (and then eat my burrito at my desk!) because Chipotle is sooo busy.

But it was worth it! The only disappointment was having to pay extra for guacamole.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#5 Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm used to paying extra for guac at this point, it's not fair it should just come with everything! tongue3.gif

I'll try to go to Chipotle this weekend to see what I think, pretty sure I'm going to love it.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

I'd rather get the free guacamole with the veggie bowl with a ton of black beans then get the sofritas.
#7 Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I personally cannot understand the attraction of Chipotle. I've eaten there twice and disliked it both times.
#8 Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 PM

I really enjoyed my sofritas burrito. The texture was similar to TVP but the chile flavors were aromatic with a hint of smokiness. The fact that this is made from tofu, rather than TVP, will likely lead to greater acceptance by omnivores (many of whom are irrationally fake-meat phobic). I also really hope that this is expanded nation-wide so that I never ever have to eat another taco hell 5-layer burrito when travelling.

#9 Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 PM

I've had the sofritas burrito twice and loved it. Course I liked chipoodle when I was omni too. My expectations were low.
#10 Old 08-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

The fact that this is made from tofu, rather than TVP, will likely lead to greater acceptance by omnivores (many of whom are irrationally fake-meat phobic). I also really hope that this is expanded nation-wide so that I never ever have to eat another taco hell 5-layer burrito when travelling.
Most people don't even know what textured vegetable protein is, nor are they particularly discriminating about what they eat. But chipotle has always been more about "whole foods", so offering a frankenfood would go against their business model.

I don't get the comment about taco bell, you can already get a veggie burrito at Chipotle that is equivalent to a 5-layer burrito (I assume, you mean the 7-layer without the cheese or sour cream).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

I personally cannot understand the attraction of Chipotle. I've eaten there twice and disliked it both times.
I like it because you can get, at a reasonable cost, a healthy meal. I also like that you can customize it however you wish, though they do tend to look at you funny when you ask for 3 scoops of black beans.
#11 Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

I don't get the comment about taco bell, you can already get a veggie burrito at Chipotle that is equivalent to a 5-layer burrito (I assume, you mean the 7-layer without the cheese or sour cream).

I just don't like the taste of highly processed tortilla, bland beans, unadorned guac, or insipid hot sauce.

#12 Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unethicalvegan View Post

I just don't like the taste of highly processed tortilla, bland beans, unadorned guac, or insipid hot sauce.
Are you talking about taco bell or chipotle?
#13 Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Are you talking about taco bell or chipotle?

Touché.

#14 Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to update this thread! I tried the sofritas burrito for the first time a little while ago and again yesterday, it's delicious! drool.gif

Before I went to try it I read some reviews on Yelp and there was one negative review that was complaining about how they put way too much guacamole on their burritos. I love love love guacamole so I was just like "Thanks for convincing me to go there with your negative review, random person!" tongue3.gif

Anyway, they did indeed put a delicious amount of guacamole on it and I got the hot salsa which wasn't super hot but just right. The tofu is nice and spicy and there wasn't too much rice so I was pretty happy. My only complaint is that it's too expensive and they didn't have vegetarian pinto beans or refried beans but I still plan on going back soon because it was so good I'm craving it again already.
southernbelle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page