• 1 Post By Jennifer C
  • 1 Post By LovingGrl72
  • 1 Post By Rinchen
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Poppy

#1 Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
It’s as if  Samuel L. Jackson went on a health kick and started a Tumblr.

Thug Kitchen is a food blog with a penchant for profanity (motto: “Eat like you give a [expletive]”) and healthful vegan dishes. And since the blog started last September,  vegans  and  non*vegans alike seem to be eating it up. In April, Gwyneth Paltrow name-dropped the blog on an episode of “The Rachael Ray Show."

Mystery is apparently one of the most-used ingredients in Thug Kitchen. Perhaps taking their cue from the recently unveiled Ruth Bourdain, the L.A.-based bloggers insist on anonymity, agreeing to be interviewed only via e-mail. Despite the blog’s first-person voice, they told me, “there are multiple cooks in the kitchen.” They are all vegan, with the exception of one omnivore, who eats “mostly vegan.”

Thug Kitchen may be the latest iteration of the vegan food blog that’s militant, but not in a “meat is murder” way. It’s in your face — they take broccoli more seriously than your mom probably ever did — but it’s also just plain funny. Other vegan food blogs, such as Post Punk Kitchen and Vegan Black Metal Chef, have used some combination of humor, charm and counterculture and fared similarly in attracting a wider (read: not necessarily vegan) audience. But part of Thug Kitchen’s street cred can no doubt be attributed to veganism’s growing popularity as high-end restaurants cater to vegetarian palates and prominent devotees, such as former president Bill Clinton, espouse the health benefits of a diet devoid of animal products.

Read the rest here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/thug-kitchen-the-blog-that-swears-by-veganism-a-lot/2013/07/22/40053460-eee9-11e2-9008-61e94a7ea20d_story.html

This is a great article by The Washington Post about one of my favourite food blogs! And they even reference Vegan Black Metal Chef and The PPK! smitten.gif

I haven't posted about Thug Kitchen much here because of all the potty mouth but if you don't mind that it's one of the funniest around with some really delicious food ideas.

The greatest thing about Thug Kitchen is how many non-vegans it's drawing in, people just love it because it's so funny! Plus it helps that they focus on the humour and delicious food and don't try to push much of a message besides healthy eating.

Their Facebook page currently has over 300,000 likers which is far far more than I've ever seen for any vegan blog. To give you an idea of what I mean Post Punk Kitchen which is arguably one of the most popular vegan sites only has 57,600 likers right now. It's really cool! Vegan food is going mainstream. grin.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Zelda Freak

This has to be the best vegan blog I've ever seen. I'm on page 6 and can't stop laughing and going to the next page. It is making me want to cuss excessively though. Or maybe join a rap band. 

I gotta send this to everyone I know. The mother's day post was hilarious! 

Edited to say = OMG: this

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Beginner

I absolutely adooooooore TK!! Have never had a food blog have me legitimately laughing out loud before - hilarious! Plus amazing looking recipes!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

TK is f****** brilliant!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Love, Love, Love!
#6 Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to admit that I do like Thug Kitchen as well. As others have said it makes you laugh. Still, a mellower vegan blog that also has some delicious recipes as well as making me laugh is The Vegan Stoner.

#7 Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe, awesome. Never heard of it before!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#8 Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

I have to admit that I do like Thug Kitchen as well. As others have said it makes you laugh. Still, a mellower vegan blog that also has some delicious recipes as well as making me laugh is The Vegan Stoner.

I LOVE Vegan Stoner. That's one of my favorite vegan blogs, though it's not nearly as funny as Thugs - which I read all of last night. It's so good! 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#9 Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

This has to be the best vegan blog I've ever seen. I'm on page 6 and can't stop laughing and going to the next page. It is making me want to cuss excessively though. Or maybe join a rap band. 

I gotta send this to everyone I know. The mother's day post was hilarious! 

Edited to say = OMG: this

Hahaha. Haaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaah! HEEEeeeeeeheeeeeeheee!

A curse word thrown in for emphasis is either offensive, or, emphatic.

Excessive cursing is downright hilarious. Like most offensive things.

FU Whole Foods for much else....

LovingGrl72 likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Hahaha. Haaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaah! HEEEeeeeeeheeeeeeheee!

A curse word thrown in for emphasis is either offensive, or, emphatic.

Excessive cursing is downright hilarious. Like most offensive things.

FU Whole Foods for much else....

Ha - the funny thing is I eat peas with every meal - it's like I'm an addict, but still it made me laugh SO hard. This blog is seriously the highlight of my month. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#11 Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Ankle Biter

Thanks for sharing - I'm loving this blog!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page