Yeast - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 AM

Hey guys so i am making pizza today and i am using yeast the ingredients says food grade emulsifier is that vegan or not? 

Please i need a reply cause i wanna make vegan pizza

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

You don't need an emulsifier for pizza dough, just use flour, water, yeast, salt and maybe a little olive oil.
#3 Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

You don't need an emulsifier for pizza dough, just use flour, water, yeast, salt and maybe a little olive oil.

yes bt i read the packaging of the yeast it says on the ingredients one of the ingredients is food grade emulsifier? is that vegan and if not what if the yeast that the baker that where i live uses it to make bagueets cause i buy their bread all the time

Please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

yeast

[yeest] Show IPA
noun
any of various small, single-celled fungi of the phylum Ascomycota that reproduce by fission or budding, the daughter cells often remaining attached, and that are capable of fermenting carbohydrates into alcohol and carbon dioxide.
any of several yeasts of the genus Saccharomyces,  used in brewing alcoholic beverages, as a leaven in baking breads, and in pharmacology as a source of vitamins and proteins. Compare bottom yeast, brewer's yeast, top yeast.
spume; foam.
ferment; agitation.
something that causes ferment or agitation.

Question: Is Yeast Vegan?
Can Vegans Eat Yeast?
Answer: Yes. Yeast, like mushrooms, are eukaryotic micro-organisms classified in the Fungi kingdom, which in layman's terms means that yeast is not derived from animal products or classified as an animal and is thus vegan-friendly.

So, although there are plenty of things that people put in yeast breads that are not vegan--like butter, milk and eggs--yeast breads that are prepared without these are vegan. Here are just a few vegan yeast-based recipes that have become personal favorites:

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

yeast

[yeest] Show IPA
noun
any of various small, single-celled fungi of the phylum Ascomycota that reproduce by fission or budding, the daughter cells often remaining attached, and that are capable of fermenting carbohydrates into alcohol and carbon dioxide.
any of several yeasts of the genus Saccharomyces,  used in brewing alcoholic beverages, as a leaven in baking breads, and in pharmacology as a source of vitamins and proteins. Compare bottom yeast, brewer's yeast, top yeast.
spume; foam.
ferment; agitation.
something that causes ferment or agitation.

Question: Is Yeast Vegan?
Can Vegans Eat Yeast?
Answer: Yes. Yeast, like mushrooms, are eukaryotic micro-organisms classified in the Fungi kingdom, which in layman's terms means that yeast is not derived from animal products or classified as an animal and is thus vegan-friendly.

So, although there are plenty of things that people put in yeast breads that are not vegan--like butter, milk and eggs--yeast breads that are prepared without these are vegan. Here are just a few vegan yeast-based recipes that have become personal favorites:

I know that yeast is fungi and is vegan bt i read the packaging of the yeast it says on the ingredients one of the ingredients is food grade emulsifier? is that vegan and if not what if the yeast that the baker that where i live uses it to make bagueets cause i buy their bread all the time

#6 Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM

What brand of yeast is it? I don't think I've ever seen emulsifier used to produce yeast granules, which should just be washed, dried yeast culture. I know at least Red Star brand explicitly states that they use no animal-derived ingredients to produce their yeast products. Are you sure the yeast you're using isn't some kind of yeast + dough conditioner? Emulsifiers (eg mono- and diglycerides, which can be plant- or animal-derived; soy lecithin, etc.) are commonly added to baked goods.

Find a no-nonsense plain yeast (just "active dry") and it should be OK. If in doubt, contact the company.

#7 Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceVegan View Post

What brand of yeast is it? I don't think I've ever seen emulsifier used to produce yeast granules, which should just be washed, dried yeast culture. I know at least Red Star brand explicitly states that they use no animal-derived ingredients to produce their yeast products. Are you sure the yeast you're using isn't some kind of yeast + dough conditioner? Emulsifiers (eg mono- and diglycerides, which can be plant- or animal-derived; soy lecithin, etc.) are commonly added to baked goods.

Find a no-nonsense plain yeast (just "active dry") and it should be OK. If in doubt, contact the company.

it's called pakmaya and what about the bread that the baker baked me

#8 Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

it's called pakmaya and what about the bread that the baker baked me

I would simply contact the company and ask them if they use an animal-derived emulsifier. Ditto with your local baker - if you have concerns, simply ask them what ingredients/brands they use in the production of their baguette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page