Jackfruit: everyone needs to meet this food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I finally cooked jackfruit and I think that all vegetarians -especially new ones- and even omnis trying to reduce animal consumption should try jackfruit. Cooked it looks, feels, and tastes so much like pulled pork that it makes me a little queasy. But give it a chance. I can substitute it in any recipe for pulled pork or shredded chicken, which is a great way to convince some of my friends who are considering vegetarianism that they can find ways to still enjoy their old favorites without killing animals. I made a vegan jackfruit salad styled after chicken salad and vegan carolina bbq jackfruit sandwiches (instead of pulled pork) for my omni friends and they loved it and said they would not have known that the meals were not made of chicken/pork if I hadn't told them. They did recognize the nayonnaise instead of mayonnaise though sad.gif. Anyway I had never heard of jackfruit before and want to get the word out to all of you. I think it is a great tool for showing omnivores that eating a plant based diet does not require a huge change because most of the recipes they love can be easily converted. Jackfruit is not sold in normal grocery stores, but most Asian groceries have it. I go to an Indian grocery to get it. Get it canned in brine, not in syrup.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank-you for informing me about this! I've been looking for a lamb-meat subtitute in this recipe (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3256/moroccan-lamb-with-apricots-almonds-and-mint) but chickpeas or mushrooms don't seem quite right for it. Do you think the texture of jackfruit would work well in this dish? Is jackfruit sweet?

Also, if you can find Plamil mayonnaise then that has a very similar taste and texture to egg-mayonaise!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#3 Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Amazon has jackfruit - check there if it's not around locally.

Make sure you buy it packed in brine, not syrup. Unless cloyingly sweet sandwiches appeal to you. smiley.gif

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Had it fresh in Africa and found it pretty grim. Was like a sweet, sticky, slimy onion.
#5 Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Banned

Yes jackfruit is amazing! The young green kind canned in brine is almost flavorless, nothing like fresh jackfruit. The lack of flavor is a benefit bc it can be transformed to take on many flavors.
I make it like carnitas, with lotsa spices, beer and low and slow cooked in the crock pot. Great is tacos.
#6 Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had the jackfruit (in syrup) in smoothies in Chicago's Chinatown, but I have yet to buy the brined jackfruit. I've been reading all over the Internet about its ability to mimic pulled meat texture. Jackfruit is commonly found in Asian markets, so the next time I'm in Chinatown I'll pick up some to try.

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#7 Old 07-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that jackfruit would be a great substitute for lamb (I don't know what lamb tastes like, but I know the general texture). Jackfruit has a very meaty look and texture. You would not believe how much it looks exactly like pulled pork (I tried to upload a photo but I could not). I cook mine in a crockpot for a few hours with whatever seasonings I want it to taste like. Jackfruit is a flavor sponge - if you want it to taste like chicken, season it like you would chicken (and actual chicken seasoning helps), if you want it to taste like lamb, season it like lamb. After slow cooking, it will be very much like pulled pork. If you want more of a shredded chicken consistency, or just want it firmer, loosen the jackfruit with a fork (it comes apart very easily) then lay it out on a cooking tray on tin foil and cook it at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. It is a very versatile fruit. 

Here is a link to where I found a lot of great jackfruit recipes like reuben sandwiches and both carolina and regular barbeque.

bbq:     http://injohnnaskitchen.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-pulled-not-pork-jackfruit-carolina-style/

reuben/ corned jackfruit:       http://injohnnaskitchen.com/2013/03/jackfruit-reuben-sandwich-gluten-free-dairy-free-and-vegan/

tamale bites:      http://injohnnaskitchen.com/2013/01/jackfruit-tamale-bites/

^^^ I don't remember if all of these are vegan but I do know that I was able to make them vegan. 

and faux chicken salad:

Crockpot cook a can of jackfruit (20 oz about) with a cup of water, a few tablespoons garlic, chicken seasoning, and lemon juice for 4-8 hours. Take out the jackfruit, break it apart. Mix a cup (or less) of nayonaise and 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard. Then mix that with 2 chopped celery sticks, quartered green grapes, 1/2 a chopped onion, and the jackfruit. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like mine in a tortilla with a leaf of kale and pickles.

Aristede likes this.
#8 Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

I think that jackfruit would be a great substitute for lamb (I don't know what lamb tastes like, but I know the general texture). Jackfruit has a very meaty look and texture. You would not believe how much it looks exactly like pulled pork (I tried to upload a photo but I could not). I cook mine in a crockpot for a few hours with whatever seasonings I want it to taste like. Jackfruit is a flavor sponge - if you want it to taste like chicken, season it like you would chicken (and actual chicken seasoning helps), if you want it to taste like lamb, season it like lamb. After slow cooking, it will be very much like pulled pork. If you want more of a shredded chicken consistency, or just want it firmer, loosen the jackfruit with a fork (it comes apart very easily) then lay it out on a cooking tray on tin foil and cook it at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. It is a very versatile fruit. 

Here is a link to where I found a lot of great jackfruit recipes like reuben sandwiches and both carolina and regular barbeque.

bbq:     http://injohnnaskitchen.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-pulled-not-pork-jackfruit-carolina-style/

reuben/ corned jackfruit:       http://injohnnaskitchen.com/2013/03/jackfruit-reuben-sandwich-gluten-free-dairy-free-and-vegan/

tamale bites:      http://injohnnaskitchen.com/2013/01/jackfruit-tamale-bites/

^^^ I don't remember if all of these are vegan but I do know that I was able to make them vegan. 

and faux chicken salad:

Crockpot cook a can of jackfruit (20 oz about) with a cup of water, a few tablespoons garlic, chicken seasoning, and lemon juice for 4-8 hours. Take out the jackfruit, break it apart. Mix a cup (or less) of nayonaise and 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard. Then mix that with 2 chopped celery sticks, quartered green grapes, 1/2 a chopped onion, and the jackfruit. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like mine in a tortilla with a leaf of kale and pickles.

Thanks for the information! It does appear to be quite versatile. I usually use seitan for meat-like applications, but this would be great for a change and also for those who don't tolerate gluten well.

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#9 Old 07-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Alright, you have convinced me! I've been hearing about how great jackfruit is for pulled pork sandwiches and stuff forever and kept putting off trying it and now this thread is definitely a sign that it's time for me to give it a shot already.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

They did recognize the nayonnaise instead of mayonnaise though sad.gif

Try Vegenaise (standard flavor) instead.  It's better than animal mayonnaise.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#11 Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Try Vegenaise (standard flavor) instead.  It's better than animal mayonnaise.

Yes! Especially the grape seed oil kind in the purple jar, it's a bit more expensive but soooooo worth it.

Nayonaise is seriously terrible, I bought it once and never again. It's like almost bitter or something, I've heard a lot of complaints from other people about it so I know I'm not the only one. thumbsdown.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yes! Especially the grape seed oil kind in the purple jar, it's a bit more expensive but soooooo worth it.

Nayonaise is seriously terrible, I bought it once and never again. It's like almost bitter or something, I've heard a lot of complaints from other people about it so I know I'm not the only one. thumbsdown.gif

I haven't tried the grapeseed one - was it made for people who don't want soy?  It's better than the standard one?  Normally I buy the traditional one with the blue lid but the other night I bought the organic one with the green lid.  All of the different kinds are getting confusing to me and I don't know what to get anymore.  Too many choices!

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I haven't tried the grapeseed one - was it made for people who don't want soy?  It's better than the standard one?  Normally I buy the traditional one with the blue lid but the other night I bought the organic one with the green lid.  All of the different kinds are getting confusing to me and I don't know what to get anymore.  Too many choices!

I'm not sure if it was made for those avoiding soy or if it's just because it's fancier and tastes better but either way it's delicious. I find it's a little bit thicker than the original kind and has a better flavour, it reminds me more of Hellman's which I always used to get back in the day.

Also I wish we had all the different kinds available here! I can get organic, grapeseed or regular pretty much, but they're always posting all these delicious products online just to torture us Canadians apparently. bigcry.gif

Just look at this:

IT'S CHIPOTLE!!! I want it so bad! Do you have this stuff where you live? If you do I will die of envy.
lavender phase likes this.

#14 Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, we have them all here.  I tried the pesto one and wasn't that fond of it though.  

Don't die of envy - I'd trade you Vegenaise for universal healthcare.

Werewolf Girl likes this.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Never! I'm a jackfruit purist! I will always eat it raw!

Well, I don't know, so far the descriptions given seem to be different from what I'm eating here in Singapore. Anyway jackfruit is native to Southeast Asia and South Asia, so it's super easy to get it fresh and not canned. It's bright yellow, and crunchy and juicy and sweet. If my dad puts a big bowl in front of me I'll eat like 15 to 20 pieces at one go.

Not once have I seen anyone cook it though. When it comes to jackfruit I'm scared of change, so I'm reluctant to try sad.gif

Anyway jackfruit is up there with pomelo as my two favourite fruits, both tied at number 1. I'd be at a lost of words if I had to choose to marry one over the other.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#16 Old 07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I'm not sure if it was made for those avoiding soy or if it's just because it's fancier and tastes better but either way it's delicious. I find it's a little bit thicker than the original kind and has a better flavour, it reminds me more of Hellman's which I always used to get back in the day.

Also I wish we had all the different kinds available here! I can get organic, grapeseed or regular pretty much, but they're always posting all these delicious products online just to torture us Canadians apparently. bigcry.gif

Just look at this:
I loved the grapeseed Veganaise, yet I never liked Hellmans, nor any real mayo!
Earth Balance has mayo now, and I've gotten a couple at good deals with coupon! Like $3.50. I had the olive oil and like it a lot. Tangy. Smooth.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#17 Old 07-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh yeah, we have them all here.  I tried the pesto one and wasn't that fond of it though.  

Don't die of envy - I'd trade you Vegenaise for universal healthcare.

laugh.gif Okay, fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I loved the grapeseed Veganaise, yet I never liked Hellmans, nor any real mayo!
Earth Balance has mayo now, and I've gotten a couple at good deals with coupon! Like $3.50. I had the olive oil and like it a lot. Tangy. Smooth.

Cool! I asked EB if their new products would be coming to Canada and they said they were working hard on getting distribution so hopefully that comes here soon!

And back to jackfruit I've never seen it fresh here but it sounds delicious I wish I could try it, I'm going to find the brined kind and try to make a savoury dish with it.

#18 Old 07-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I will make it my job to search all the grocery stores in my area for chipotle veganaise ! smiley.gif
#19 Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

a recipe for grapeseed oil mayo in case someone can't get Vegenaise:

http://www.theppk.com/2013/07/homemade-grapeseed-mayonnaise/

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#20 Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

Never! I'm a jackfruit purist! I will always eat it raw!

Well, I don't know, so far the descriptions given seem to be different from what I'm eating here in Singapore. Anyway jackfruit is native to Southeast Asia and South Asia, so it's super easy to get it fresh and not canned. It's bright yellow, and crunchy and juicy and sweet. If my dad puts a big bowl in front of me I'll eat like 15 to 20 pieces at one go.

Not once have I seen anyone cook it though. When it comes to jackfruit I'm scared of change, so I'm reluctant to try sad.gif

Anyway jackfruit is up there with pomelo as my two favourite fruits, both tied at number 1. I'd be at a lost of words if I had to choose to marry one over the other.

I adore pomelo and prefer it to regular grapefruit (with the exception of the extremely thick rind). However, it doesn't seem to have a long season here and I remember seeing it during autumn mostly. I love how it's sweeter than regular grapefruit. So tasty! I assume that many fruits stay in season longer in Singapore, yes?

As for the cooked jackfruit, remember that we have to challenge our own perceptions and traditions at times, Yingchen! When I first heard about this, I was skeptical, but after hearing all the good news, I'm convinced to purchase some on my next trip to Chinatown. yes.gif I didn't grow up eating jackfruit, but I have had it in smoothies; it has a very unique and sweet flavor. I'll try cooking it and report my findings! 

Aristedebook2.gif

#21 Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Riot Nrrrd

13 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes from VegNews

Aristede likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#22 Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay he found these for me !!!! smiley.gif not chipotle I am not giving up I told family and friends to be on the look out for chipotle veganaise .... BBQ flavour I may like .
#23 Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

13 Stellar Vegan Jackfruit Recipes from VegNews

These recipes look really tasty! I'm going to have to explore jackfruit using some of them. It got me wondering if I could smoke jackfruit (like on a grill or in a smoker). I love the taste of smoked foods and I think the smoky flavor would go well with bbq pulled jackfruit.

Aristedebook2.gif

#24 Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

what excally is jack fruit.

#25 Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

what excally is jack fruit.

Quote:

Enormous and prickly on the outside, jackfruit looks somewhat like durian (though jackfruit is usually even larger). Once a jackfruit is cracked open, what you will find inside are pods or "bulbs". Often referred to as the seeds, these bulbs are actually a kind of fleshy covering for the true seeds or pits, which are round and dark like chesnuts. The fleshy part (the "bulb") can be eaten as is, or cut up and cooked. When unripe (green), it is remarkably similar in texture to chicken, making jackfruit an excellent vegetarian substitute for meat. In fact, canned jackfruit (in brine) is sometimes referred to as "vegetable meat".

Jackfruit can also be purchased frozen, dried, or canned either in brine (usually unripe) or in syrup (ripe and sweet). If using fresh jackfruit, it's a good idea to oil your knife and hands first before cutting, as the fruit is very sticky.

Jackfruit contains many vitamins and minerals, and offers numerous health benefits. The fruit's isoflavones, antioxidants, and phytonutrients mean that jackfruit has cancer-fighting properties. It is also known to help cure ulcers and indigestion. 

From "Jackfruit" (About Thai Food) from about.com

Here's a great, short video about jackfruit:

I had it several times before in smoothies and it has a unique taste and it's extremely sweet (at least the fresh kind or the one packed in syrup).

Aristedebook2.gif

#26 Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Jackfruit also grows in Hawaii, like lots of other excellent tropical fruits, it can't be imported fresh to American mainland because of a destructive fruit fly that can't get here or much agriculture havoc would result. (Acidic pineapples export because they are inhospitable to the fruitfly).

It is really good like candy, very sweet and flavorful, a special experience to get. I haven't tried it cooked except the seeds which are edible and good when cooked.

There is a very huge list of tropical fruits that are not much available here that would be good to have.

One of my favorites is breadfruit. 

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page