VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Planning a wedding as vegans? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/141868-planning-wedding-vegans.html)

ckad79 07-07-2013 05:03 PM

First off, I'm brand new here to this forum. 

As two vegans, me and my finance are planning a wedding this spring but being vegan is causing some issues with catering. We both are vegan for health reasons only, but really would like to have a vegan wedding. Mainly because when we go out to restaurants, we're the ones who settle for a frozen Boca burger or a plate of fries, so that other people can have their hamburger or cheese pizza. Since we always make sacrifices for others, we figured that this wedding is our chance to have what we want and make other people sacrifice.

Well, her parents who are helping pay for the wedding, really want us to have at least 50% dishes with some meat. Part of me, sees where they are coming from. The fact is, nobody else in my family is vegan or even vegetarian. In fact, besides me and my finance, I know of 4 other people. I feel like a lot of food will be thrown away if you force everybody to accept vegetarian food.

My cater who happens to have been a chef at a 4-star restaurant, has no issues making some great meat dishes, although she's vegan like us. 

Has anybody else planned a vegan wedding? Did you just do all vegan? Half vegan, less than half??? 

Would love some feedback.

Clay

veganshaveheart 07-07-2013 08:57 PM

I'm pretty sure there was a thread exactly like this posted very recently!
I posted there use the *search* bar I'm lazy!

zirpkatze 07-07-2013 09:16 PM

it's your wedding. just about everyone eats vegan foods on other days even if they might not realise it. if you want a vegan wedding you should have a vegan wedding

lavender phase 07-07-2013 09:53 PM

You said that you and your future wife are Vegan for your health well there is your answer problem solved .... Make sure you note in your invitations that because you love and care about your family and friends this will be a very healthy vegan wedding reception ! smiley.gif Congratulations and best wishes ! smiley.gif

veggie-cat 07-07-2013 09:57 PM

Weddings aren't about the food anyways; they can suck it up for a day and respect your wishes.
Tortillas beans veggies and rice, vegan fajitas are cheap and fun!

yingchen 07-07-2013 10:21 PM

Please don't finalise your wedding plans without the okay of her parents. Yes, you deserve to have the wedding you envision, but it would be very rude not to take their wishes into account, especially since they are helping to pay for it.

I suggest you give them an idea of what you want to serve there. Prepare a couple of sample meals to let them try, and if it's good enough, they might just give the go ahead. Just be sure to include them every step of the way. The last thing you want is for your marriage to start on a bitter note.

Also, say what you want on this forum, but don't ever couch it in the language that it is the omnivores' turns to make a sacrifice! Reassure them that vegan food can be very delicious and healthy.

If you absolutely have no choice but to serve meat, I still think that bivalves are the best option - oysters, clams, mussels, scallops - They don't suffer like chickens and cows do.

veganpumpkin 07-08-2013 12:57 AM

I am a vegan also trying to plan my wedding :) congrats by the way. 

My family also wants us to not have it 100% vegan... but right now its still up in the air. I'm looking for ideas for dishes... let me know if you guys decide on anything amazing :) we can trade secrets! (lol not really secrets)

veganpumpkin 07-08-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

I'm pretty sure there was a thread exactly like this posted very recently!
I posted there use the *search* bar I'm lazy!

Yeah that was mine, haha! 

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/141777/vegan-wedding#post_3235194

leedsveg 07-08-2013 03:11 AM

I'm not really seeing an ethical problem in all this. If the bride and groom want to eat a (total plant food) vegetarian meal for health reasons, why not? If the guests coming, especially those helping pay for the meal, would prefer a non veggie alternative, why not? In these circumstances, you may think that keeping people happy for the day is more important than feeding people one healthier meal on that day.

luvourmother 07-08-2013 09:02 AM

Guests will not be sacrificing anything by eating a free vegan meal at your wedding. Everyone eats vegan food.
It is your wedding so it should be what you two want.
I wouldn't even mention to your in laws and guests that the food is vegan, you would be surprised that some people won't notice at all. Especially with food like pasta dishes, asian dishes, middle eastern and Indian dishes.
Do you have any sentimental meals between the two of you? Like maybe a meal from a first date or when you fell in love etc.