Back on board - diabetic, high sugars... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM
New Vegan

I "ended" being a vegan back in November because of a "soy allergy" that turns out that it wasn't.  Glad for that.  So I'm back on board again, which I'm very happy about.  

I have been doing great eating healthy (I guess I can say I'm transitioning back to veganism) - this morning for breakfast I had:  oatmeal with almonds and dried cranberries and about a Tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 1/2 english muffins with peanut butter, 1/2 banana.  (we were at a hotel and that was the vegan offerings on the free breakfast bar - there was other fruit too, and fruit juice).  After eating, my sugars were 258.  That is too high...or is it?  Sigh.  I know that when I used to eat "low carb" my sugars would be around 150 after eating.  Gross.  

I want to be vegan - for both animal rights and health reasons.  I just do not know what to do about my sugars being high.  I thought my breakfast was reasonable...but I guess not...

Any suggestions? :)

Werewolf Girl likes this.

~~~~~
I'm a very new Vegan...please be gentle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi eclectic rebel, it's good that you've decided to try vegan again despite health issues.

I don't know much about diabetes but the two / three things that stand out for me in your breakfast as listed above is the brown sugar, banana, and the dried fruit. Sadly the sugar being brown doesn't make it impact on your body any differently, fresh fruit, dried fruit and fruit juice is also high in sugar too. These are the kinds of things I think you need to stay away from. If you stick to *slow release* high-fibre unsweetened, unprocessed carbs, you may do better.

Tofu is lowish carb, I think scrambled tofu may be a good breakfast option for you. Otherwise maybe something like Kitcheri (traditional anglo-indian breakfast of spiced brown rice and lentils) Sorry if that's not a lot of help.

I realise that you may not always have such options when eating away from home, in which case I'd go for boring old brown toast (no jam) and unsweetened cereal. Lots of guesthouses DO supply veggie breakfast these days (in the UK anyway) so I'd ask ahead before booking to find out if they can do stuff like vegan sausages.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
New Vegan

Thank you! :)  Yea, I'm sure the sugar did not help, nor the banana.  The dried fruit - there was only about a tablespoon, so that probably didn't have a huge impact on the sugars.  I think next time I will skip the sugar in my oats and see what happens! :)

~~~~~

I was a vegan before but did not have support from family but now I just do not care if I have support or not and am a vegan for life! But, since I'm standing my ground I have the support of my sweet husband, my mom and my best friend. Guess no one else really matters, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

When did they tell you to test your sugars? Often it is a fasting one in the morning, then one 2 hours after each meal. Plus if you're on insulin, check it before injecting too.
#5 Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

When did they tell you to test your sugars? Often it is a fasting one in the morning, then one 2 hours after each meal. Plus if you're on insulin, check it before injecting too.

It was about an hour and a half after eating.  I'm not going to worry about it right now and will continue to monitor it! :)

~~~~~

#6 Old 07-06-2013, 01:14 PM

Carbs turn into glucose; unfortunately, vegan and vegetarian diets are almost exclusively carbs. Fruits and grains are ESP bad for diabetics; you may have to eat meat for your health sad.gif probably going to get a lot of crap for saying that, but my mom is diabetic and I'm a realist. Anyone who says a vegetarian diet or vegan diet is great for diabetics is kidding themselves! Preventing it maybe.
#7 Old 07-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You ate high-fat foods with fruit, this is no surprise.

#8 Old 07-06-2013, 03:04 PM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-cat View Post

Carbs turn into glucose; unfortunately, vegan and vegetarian diets are almost exclusively carbs. Fruits and grains are ESP bad for diabetics; you may have to eat meat for your health sad.gif probably going to get a lot of crap for saying that, but my mom is diabetic and I'm a realist. Anyone who says a vegetarian diet or vegan diet is great for diabetics is kidding themselves! Preventing it maybe.

Thank you...I appreciate your honesty.  This is what my husband is saying as well...

~~~~~

#9 Old 07-06-2013, 03:05 PM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

You ate high-fat foods with fruit, this is no surprise.

Ummm...apparently you do not know how glucose reacts - the higher the fat the slower the glucose affects a diabetic.  Had I eaten a LOWFAT breakfast with fruit, my numbers would have been higher, quicker.

~~~~~

#10 Old 07-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticRebel View Post

Ummm...apparently you do not know how glucose reacts - the higher the fat the slower the glucose affects a diabetic.  Had I eaten a LOWFAT breakfast with fruit, my numbers would have been higher, quicker.

Yeah, if you had a high-fat dinner the night before, probably.

#11 Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
#12 Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 PM
New Vegan

Quote:

Yeah, if you had a high-fat dinner the night before, probably.

Yea, I'm not going to argue with you.  I've been diabetic for 5 years - I know how this all works.  If you eat fat WITH carbs the glucose takes longer to enter the bloodstream, thus not spiking.  Maybe you should learn some BASIC diabetic info before giving medical advice.

~~~~~

#13 Old 07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yea, I'm not going to argue with you.  I've been diabetic for 5 years - I know how this all works.  If you eat fat WITH carbs the glucose takes longer to enter the bloodstream, thus not spiking.  Maybe you should learn some BASIC diabetic info before giving medical advice.

Okay, let's agree to disagree, and the thousands of vegetarian diabetics out there can help you with your basic info.

#14 Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 PM

If you lose weight though, you may no longer need tO take insulin; my mom lost about 40 pds(down to 150 PDs) and I guess her body was able to handle the load...idk though type 2 varies a lot from type 1 :/ whole grains only and sparingly plus protein and Only like a fruit spread out in a day; she generally ate oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch(no sugary dressings) and a lean Protein for dinner with steamed veggies; she would also eat a couple snacks, a cheeses tick or some nuts
#15 Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Beanitarian

Have you thought of omitting the sugar in the oatmeal?  I find I can reduce it a LOT if I have fruit and cinnamon in it.  Stevia is an option too.

Was there added sugar in that peanut butter?  You could package some natural peanut butter in a container and bring it with you on trips.

Quote:

The dried fruit - there was only about a tablespoon

Wouldn't that be the equivalent to another serving of fruit though? 

Beanitarian.
#16 Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Veggie-Cat makes a good point about losing weight helping with the diabetes - but that's only if you actually need to lose weight of course!

You may also find it easier to be l/o vegetarian than vegan. It might be worth trying that approach before going full on carni?

Meanwhile there are a few Low GI / Low Carb cookbooks out there for veggies which might be worthwhile taking a look at for getting some help with meal planning:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=vegetarian+low+GI&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Avegetarian+low+GI

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#17 Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM
New Vegan

Quote:

Okay, let's agree to disagree, and the thousands of vegetarian diabetics out there can help you with your basic info.

I just re-read that and realized I sounded super-snarky yesterday and I wish to humbly apologize to you for that.  I was super-tired after a 12 hour road trip the day before in 100 degree temps and no AC in my van (ugh).  Not making an excuse, just explaining why I sounded bad.  I'm very sorry.  :)

~~~~~

#18 Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 AM
New Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

Have you thought of omitting the sugar in the oatmeal?  I find I can reduce it a LOT if I have fruit and cinnamon in it.  Stevia is an option too.

Was there added sugar in that peanut butter?  You could package some natural peanut butter in a container and bring it with you on trips.

Wouldn't that be the equivalent to another serving of fruit though? 

I did not plan real great - I had *some* snacks along, but not a whole lot.  Yes, there likely was sugar in the peanut butter.  I use all-natural pb here - peanuts and salt only.

Yes, the dried fruit would likely be another serving of fruit.

The more I think of it, the more I am not SUPER concerned about the numbers.  I am not on insulin and wish to avoid it at ALL costs! :)

~~~~~

#19 Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I just re-read that and realized I sounded super-snarky yesterday and I wish to humbly apologize to you for that.  I was super-tired after a 12 hour road trip the day before in 100 degree temps and no AC in my van (ugh).  Not making an excuse, just explaining why I sounded bad.  I'm very sorry.  :)

Ah, no worries or hard feelings from me.  I'm sorry if I came across short as well. :)

#20 Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You definately can do low carb as a vegan broccoli and cauliflower also asparagus are low carb and so are all berries smiley.gif
Here is some low carb Vegan recipes
http://www.vegangela.com/tag/low-carb/
#21 Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The Vegetarian Resource Group (vrg.org) has a book "Vegan Menu for Diabetics" on their website.

#22 Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM
New Vegan

Thank you!  I will look into that!

~~~~~

#23 Old 07-10-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:

I "ended" being a vegan back in November because of a "soy allergy" that turns out that it wasn't.  Glad for that.  So I'm back on board again, which I'm very happy about.  

I have been doing great eating healthy (I guess I can say I'm transitioning back to veganism) - this morning for breakfast I had:  oatmeal with almonds and dried cranberries and about a Tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 1/2 english muffins with peanut butter, 1/2 banana.  (we were at a hotel and that was the vegan offerings on the free breakfast bar - there was other fruit too, and fruit juice).  After eating, my sugars were 258.  That is too high...or is it?  Sigh.  I know that when I used to eat "low carb" my sugars would be around 150 after eating.  Gross.  

I want to be vegan - for both animal rights and health reasons.  I just do not know what to do about my sugars being high.  I thought my breakfast was reasonable...but I guess not...

Any suggestions? :)

Read the book "Wheat Belly".  Looking at your breakfast, you've got an english muffin and oatmeal.  Both of which have gluten.  Wheat gluten raises your blood sugar more then table sugar.  In fact, 2 pieces of whole wheat bread raise your blood sugar more then 2 tablespoons of sugar.  It wasn't always this way.  The wheat of your grandparents day was alright but over the last 50 years we've GMO'd the hell out of it.  On a molecular level, it looks very little like old school wheat.

So, if you really want to control that blood sugar, remove the wheat from your diet as much as you can.  Don't go low carb, carbs aren't the problem.  It's the type of carbs that your eating.

EclecticRebel likes this.
#24 Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM

How much fat are you eating in your diet? I'm currently reading 80/10/10 and so I won't pretend to know everything, but in it he talks about higher fat diets being the cause for blood sugar issues. Caldwell, Esselstyn, McDougall and Graham all agree that high carb (at least 80% of your diet) is the way to be, but you must keep your fats below 10% (and that this will stabilize blood sugar issues). 

#25 Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-cat View Post

Vegan diet is actually one of the best for managing diabetes: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabetes/t/story?id=2244647, http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/meal-planning-for-vegetarians/, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19386029
VPoweredGirl likes this.
#26 Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM

This movie is great and it's on youtube: Simply Raw- Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3V22cLUF0&list=PLW2gtBnNHCjROS4O8DeSEtqR6dnQEqCU1&index=7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page