Top Vegan-Friendly Cities of 2013 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Zelda Freak

Peta just posted their top vegan-friendly city list for 2013 and there were some surprising entries. 

Image by me :) 

The top 5...

1. Austin, Texas (what?!)
  2. Portland, Oregon
  3. Los Angeles
  4. New York City
  5. Chicago

My city (PDX) made the top 5! Did your city? Did your city make the list at all? If so (or if not) does that surprise you? I'm not surprised PDX made the list. We've got lots of vegan stuff here. 

See the whole list here

Move of Ten likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

#3 Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I'm EXTREMELY surprised Salt Lake City is number seven and not number 829304. I'm also surprised Seatlle isn't higher on the list.

I wonder what population they count as a city, because Bellingham, WA is the most vegan friendly place I have ever lived.
Jennifer C likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 PM

I would have been shocked to see Phoenix on there. 

#5 Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Not only did my current state not make the list, none of the 3 states I have lived in made it. I can't wait until I can move somewhere else.
#6 Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Of course Chicago made the list, despite its historic designation as one of the meat capitals of the United States. We have many vegetarian and vegan restaurants, cafes, and bakeries. And many restaurants in Chicago are accommodating for vegans and strict vegetarians. Admittedly, Chicago is a huge city though, so most of its veggie-friendliness is confined mostly to the north side of the city (which is less convenient for me since I live on the southeast side). However, the south side of Chicago is home to Soul Vegetarian East which makes great vegan soul food. It's also nifty that we have many local vegan and vegan-friendly companies housed in the Greater Chicagoland area such as Teese, Upton's Naturals, etc. So naturally, our better grocery stores have great vegan alternatives. Add to that the fact that we have Chicago VeganMania and Veggie Fest in suburban Naperville, IL and an awesome vegan Meetup group named Vegan Chicago (among others) and it's pretty decent in Chicago. :)

Chicago, my kind of town!  

joba likes this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#7 Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

At first glance I was pretty surprised to see that the list contained no cities from outside the US, till I realised they were the top vegan-friendly cities in the US! tongue3.gif

Curious, I had a look for a vegan-friendly cities of the world listing, and found some interesting results.

This one from Happy Cow rates Kuala Lumpur at number five. I was also surprised to see no representation from Israel which (so I believe) ranks as the worlds leading veggie country. 

http://www.happycow.net/travel/top_five.html#most_listings

Also a nice surprise (as a UKer) to see Peta rating London town as the most vegetarian friendly city in the world!

http://www.peta.org/features/London-veg-friendly.aspx

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#8 Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Nope. MA didn't make it but I didn't expect it to. There are a handful on restaurants in Boston but I rarely want to go there. Maybe we'll go to one for my birthday next year.

#9 Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

... I'm also surprised Seatlle isn't higher on the list.

I wonder what population they count as a city, because Bellingham, WA is the most vegan friendly place I have ever lived.

I am surprised too about Seattle although the sheer size of Chicago, New York and Los Angeles may cause more vegan-friendly options to be available there. Also, as much as I love Seattle, I think Portland may have it beat. However, speaking as a former resident, living in Seattle's University District was absolute vegan heaven. Not sure about Austin. My first reaction was that Austin was placed first solely for the shock value. But I have never been to Austin, so I can't say one way or another past that.

In the past, they had large- and small-city lists. See http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2010/07/14/The-Most-VegFriendly-Cities-in-North-America.aspx from 2010. Olympia actually topped the small-city list. From what I know about Bellingham, I am a little surprised it did not gain a spot on that small-city list.

I am happy to see that Las Vegas is on the 2013 list as I am actually moving there in less than three weeks from after having been in Michigan for three years. I can't wait to try out Ronald's Donuts and the other vegan/vegan-friendly places there. Hopefully I will return to the Northwest at some point in my life, but being vegan in Las Vegas shouldn't be too bad.

#10 Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 PM

These are just PETA's picks, not the cities with the most vegans or the most vegan restaurants.  For example, San Francisco and Austin have almost identical populations, but SF most certainly has more vegans, vegetarians, and vegetarian and vegan restaurants than Austin does.  Just in sheer numbers, San Francisco has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the U.S., and many of those restaurants are veggie-friendly Asian establishments.

I was born in San Francisco, lived in Seattle for a number of years, and was a partner in a food business in Portland, so I have spent considerable time in all three cities.  All of them are great places for many reasons, vegan-friendly restaurants being just one of them.

#11 Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

In the US guys, in the US...

I couldn't care less about the US.

I was happy during a sec to see what cities that i know are in the top and nada. Now Peta you gotta make the same list for Europe and for Oceania. kthx. tongue3.gif

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#12 Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Been living in Austin the past 3 years; would say we are very accommodating to vegetarians...we have a few vegan restaurants but mostly every place will have a vegetarian menu. 2 best veggie burgers in town; 24 diner beet burger and Hopdoddies la bandita black bean.
Move of Ten likes this.
#13 Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM

Also if any vegans are in Austin make a point to stop by these two bakeries: Capitol city and sugar mamas. You will not be dissapointed wink3.gif
#14 Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Portland. I wouldn't have guessed #1, but I wasn't surprised by Austin being high up on the list. Watch the movie "Slacker" tongue3.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

In the US guys, in the US...

I couldn't care less about the US.

I was happy during a sec to see what cities that i know are in the top and nada. Now Peta you gotta make the same list for Europe and for Oceania. kthx. tongue3.gif

I haven't been to that many cities outside the US, but in terms of vegan food I was impressed by Tel Aviv.

#15 Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Interest for the search term "vegan recipes" by cities (in the US):

International (obviously this will be biased by English language usage):

I guess they don't take cities as small as Austin or Denver into account when it's worldwide.

ETA: Actually Denver is about the same as Portland and Seattle population-wise, so I dunno what's up with that. *shrug*

#16 Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I haven't been to that many cities outside the US, but in terms of vegan food I was impressed by Tel Aviv.

I was actually rather surprised not to see a representation from Israel in this list - until I clicked the link and discovered that the list was only for vegan-friendly cities from *within the US* rather than vegan-friendly cities more generally.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#17 Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Beginner

My state made the list (barely lol)! I gotta say interest in going veg and the number of veg restaurants has definitely been going up in R'mond. The vegetarian festival this year had thousands of attendees. I'm going to Austin, TX this summer to visit a friend and I can't wait to check it out. I'll stop by the bakeries you mentioned veggie-cat. 

#18 Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

According to the the last issue from the UK vegan society, Berlin has become hugely vegan friendly. I've wanted to go back to Germany ever since I was a child and spent my entire holiday there in the hotel room with chickenpox... I now have another good reason to go - I'll be able to eat out better than I can here in the midlands!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#19 Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah berlin is ok, but if you are already in the UK london is way more advanced.

If you go back to berlin, you can make some more people go veggie there grin.gif

#20 Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM

Yep mines up there. Yay! What I absolutely love is when I am traveling and find vegan treats unexpectedely. For instance, visiting Seattle a few months ago, I was running in the rain with my family, my mom and child wanted a treat so we stopped at a corner coffee/bakery. And there was vegan baked goods and coffee options! wow! A treat indeed!
#21 Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 AM
adapt. evolve. become

I'd be surprised if Chicago didn't make the list. :p
I am surprised Austin is number one..

All we are is dust in the wind
#22 Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Yeah, this isn't a scientific list or anything. That's why there is so much variation from year to year.

#23 Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I've lived in Austin all of about 1 month and I can tell you its vegan-amazing.

Here is why:

http://lazysmurf.wordpress.com/austin-sxsw-vegan-guide/

(there are 224 restaurants we can eat at. yep.)

We are stuffing our vegan faces over here. We go out for ice cream about every other night. And the breakfast taco's from the food trucks are to die for. There is a bakery food truck and a biscuit/ sausage/ gravy/ tofu scramble truck we are in love with. Whole Foods flagship store is here- vegan food galore, multiple places to get donuts, raw vegan restaurants, and just about every cultural food represented. We just went to a Mediterranean buffet where we could eat 30 items on the 46 item buffet last night. Most, if not all, places know what vegan is and have at least 1 menu item or a separate vegan menu to order from. And the community is expanding. More food trucks and vegan friendly restaurants are opening, I am getting notifications on fb where all the new places are.

Good thing I joined a gym 2 weeks ago wink3.gif

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#24 Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Colorado isn't there and trust me, this place its hard to find vegan resteraunts and vegan menus and anything vegan. We have Whole Foods, but even they are lacking here in Colorado with vegan options.

One of the stupidest things. Whole Foods here does vegan burritos, But...here is the but. I like spicy vegan burritos, I like flavors like chipotle, and peppers. The vegan option they have is a BBQ burrito. Erm seriously when I imagine a burrito I see hot sauce, not BBQ. 

#25 Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulTofood View Post

Colorado isn't there and trust me, this place its hard to find vegan resteraunts and vegan menus and anything vegan. We have Whole Foods, but even they are lacking here in Colorado with vegan options.

One of the stupidest things. Whole Foods here does vegan burritos, But...here is the but. I like spicy vegan burritos, I like flavors like chipotle, and peppers. The vegan option they have is a BBQ burrito. Erm seriously when I imagine a burrito I see hot sauce, not BBQ. 

I can see that. When I visited Colorado Springs in 2010, I found it to be a very meat and potatoes kind of place. In Chicago (where I live) we are increasingly seeing more vegan options on store shelves, the advents of new vegan dining establishments, and the readiness of many restaurants to cater to the vegan/strict vegetarian diet. 

I like burritos, but I don't quite find the idea of a BBQ burrito appealing either. Have you considered inquiring with the store manager or asst. manager to get them to stock a particular vegan item that you'd like to see? If there is no demand for such products, stores are highly unlikely to provide them. However, if enough people present inquiries it might get something going.

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#26 Old 07-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I've lived in Austin all of about 1 month and I can tell you its vegan-amazing.

Here is why:

http://lazysmurf.wordpress.com/austin-sxsw-vegan-guide/

(there are 224 restaurants we can eat at. yep.)

We are stuffing our vegan faces over here. We go out for ice cream about every other night. And the breakfast taco's from the food trucks are to die for. There is a bakery food truck and a biscuit/ sausage/ gravy/ tofu scramble truck we are in love with. Whole Foods flagship store is here- vegan food galore, multiple places to get donuts, raw vegan restaurants, and just about every cultural food represented. We just went to a Mediterranean buffet where we could eat 30 items on the 46 item buffet last night. Most, if not all, places know what vegan is and have at least 1 menu item or a separate vegan menu to order from. And the community is expanding. More food trucks and vegan friendly restaurants are opening, I am getting notifications on fb where all the new places are.

Good thing I joined a gym 2 weeks ago wink3.gif

It's a terrible thing is jealousy...BWWAAAHHH!. I wanna live in Austin (even though it's not in Yorkshire.).

#27 Old 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM

In the UK from my experience Brighton had far more vegan options than London? Maybe I'm going to the wrong places!?
#28 Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Brighton has more veggie options everywhere but i believe that as far as pure veggie restaurants go London has more veggie places per se.

That's because of the sheer size of London, whereas Brighton owes it to being the most alternative city in UK.

#29 Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

It's a terrible thing is jealousy...BWWAAAHHH!. I wanna live in Austin (even though it's not in Yorkshire.).

I think everyone should make this a food destination vacation at least once!

We went here in the winter to visit my sister in law, it was 76 and sunny, and we stumbled upon a million vegan restaurants, and sat outside eating on patios in the sun. We honestly had no idea how vegan amazing this city was.

We went home to NY, packed up our stuff, sold our house, and moved here.

Kinda crazy, I know. Totally worth it.

The city has so much more to offer. It has a west coast feel- super trendy and alternative, most people I see have sleeve tattoos, piercings, crazy hair, and long beards. Everyone seems super fit. There are runners, kayakers, and cyclists all over the place. Hiking trails galore, rivers and lakes, wildlife preserves. And it is named "The city of weird." There are tee shirts and bumper stickers that say, "Keep Austin Weird"

The housing prices are cheap (for now and compared to most metropolitan cities), there is no state income tax, and it is in a state of major growth and development- some major tech companies are here: Dell, Apple, IBM, etc...

The wildlife is taking some getting used to. There are birds of prey, scorpions, and wild boars. But that is further outside the city where I live now. Its still Texas which scares me a bit with their backwards politics and guns. Austin seems to be dancing to the beat of its own drum though, seems more liberal and different than the rest of Texas.

It was a great decision and I don't regret leaving the northeast. I feel like I am on vacation every day that I live here.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#30 Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 AM

I lived in Austin for 15 years before fleeing to the desert and, even back in those days, there was a good selection of vegan food. Sounds like it has exploded now. Maybe I need to go back for a visit someday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page