Not a vegan question, per se,,, - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 AM

But I'm just curious why so many people leave the 'a' out of vegan and spell it "veg*n"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

It's a shortened term to refer to anything in the vegetarian to vegan spectrum.

#3 Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 AM

I didn't think about that.  Totally makes sense.  Thanks.  All I could think of is when people sometimes spell God as G*d because they think it's wrong to spell it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonDeb View Post

I didn't think about that.  Totally makes sense.  Thanks.  All I could think of is when people sometimes spell God as G*d because they think it's wrong to spell it out.

LOL! Yeah it makes more sense when you realize people are just trying to save some time typing. smiley.gif

#5 Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Just curious, why would someone think it wrong to spell God? Hadn't heard that before.
#6 Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungjoy View Post

Just curious, why would someone think it wrong to spell God? Hadn't heard that before.

Orthodox judaism doesn't believe in depicting their god, if one should want to spell it they write "Hashem". God may only be written if writing religious text.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM

I know Christians who also don't spell it out, but I don't really get it.  If you're going to imply His name and almost spell it out, you might as well just do it.  To me, it's kind of like saying heck instead of hell.  You know that's what you mean, so you might as well say it.

#8 Old 05-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Beginner's Mind

Quote:

I know Christians who also don't spell it out, but I don't really get it.  If you're going to imply His name and almost spell it out, you might as well just do it.  To me, it's kind of like saying heck instead of hell.  You know that's what you mean, so you might as well say it.

Well, it's no real surprise that your beliefs about religion make more sense to you than the beliefs in different religions.  That type of argumentation has been going on for a very long time.  If you believe that you might as well say what you want, then you can do that.  Other people have their own reasons.

The way I look at it, one nice side effect of the second and third commandments and associated doctrines has been to sometimes prevent people from confusing their own ideas of God with fundamental reality.  Sometimes.  Really, everyone is limited by their own mind, always, no matter what: you can't force yourself to understand things which you don't know.  "Wherever you go, there you are."  But you can try to make yourself remember that you don't know everything.  It often happens anyway that we think we understand more than we actually do.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#9 Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 PM

I'm not claiming to know it all. Quite the contrary. Just expressing the way I see things. Sorry if I offended anyone.
#10 Old 05-27-2013, 12:42 PM

Duplicate post.
#11 Old 05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Beginner's Mind

Sorry if I implied that you were implying that you did think that you know it all.  That's not what I meant.  Neither did I mean to say, exactly, that disrupting know-it-all attitudes among the general populace is the primary justification for doctrines about the name of God.  Only saying that such can potentially be one positive side-effect in doctrines of the sort, in my opinion.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#12 Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Can open; worms everywhere.  dizzy2.gif

Mike4891 likes this.
#13 Old 05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

For Judaism its not about the words being close its about carelessly or unnecessarily using it. Religious jewish people will use Hashem amongst eachother, use G-d when they have to, and never use God.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#14 Old 05-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Thanks, River.  That helps me to understand it a bit better.

#15 Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Me too, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page