Vegan At The Dinner Party Joke. True For You? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Tell people you are vegan at social gatherings?
Sure Do. 2 13.33%
Sometimes Depending on Circumstances 8 53.33%
Only When Asked 5 33.33%
Sure Don't. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2013, 05:58 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I feel like I see the vegan at the dinner party joke on any popular vegan post. It's becoming a bit overused but I still find it slightly funny, because in my case, it's TRUE!  I likely start talking about veganism, and probably hand them a pamphlet as well because I care about saving animals and getting people to be in line with values they already hold. If that's a funny joke, well..... ha ha. laugh.gif Can't care about animals, then eat them, no no.. so funny. LOOOOL 

You?

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2013, 06:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I tell if asked.  Usually it's other people pressing me about why I'm not eating what they are because they are uncomfortable with people being "different" than they.

#3 Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Duh, it's going to come up one way or another when I'm not eating the same thing as everyone else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

My diet doesn't ever really come up at the dinner table, as the only sets of friends I go to eat with are (mainly) veggie anyway! I'd never really thought about that before, must have something to do with the kinds of people I tend to like in general (arty, liberal, alternative) Sometimes folks I meet at bigger group events might say "So are you veg too?"

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Impeach the gangster

I live in a small town in the middle of the bratwurst belt. Dinner parties aren't a big thing around here. Occasionally, someone will ask if I want to attend a function, like a church dinner, but I always decline. 1) I don't care for church, and 2) I know the food will be inedible for me.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Duh, it's going to come up one way or another when I'm not eating the same thing as everyone else.

Yes, this.

I try not to discuss it while people are preparing or eating food, but someone else usually does.
#7 Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned

I've heard a slightly different version:  

Q.  How do you know if you've met a vegan?

A.  Because they will tell you. Repeatedly.

I personally don't announce it ~ it's not as if I'd previously introduce myself as a meat-eater.  If you're at a dinner party then I'd hope you would have already told the host/ess, other than that it's nobody else's concern.  If they asked me then I'd tell them but I don't stick a label on myself :)

Edited: pesky typos ...

#8 Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

It's an old fill-in-the-blank joke. I've heard it applied to born-again Christians, Harvard graduates and US Marines, among others.

#9 Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Long before I turned vegetarian I'd have people ask simply because I wasn't having meat at a meal. 

When I decline a food it's often the people who know me that will volunteer the information.

I find that both stupid and untrue. 

Here's a typical situation:

Offered food:

Me: no thanks

Friend: she doesn't eat meat. she's vegan

them: Oh. Well I don't care what people eat as long as they don't shove it in my face. I don't what care what you eat, why do they care what I eat? They care more about animals than hungry kids. It's not healthy anyway. You need animal protein...

Real deal-

How do tell the vegan in the group? The one being talked about.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 AM

It's true for me but not because I want to tell people, it just comes up. I eat out with friends several times a week so there is no way I can get as far as eating my meal without having had to order specifying I'm vegan/it's really important there's no cheese on that/is there dairy in your bread/etc. I'm going to a dinner party tomorrow night and obviously the host has to know. I was saying to a friend yesterday that I hate that I talk about it all the time and wish it didn't come up non-stop.

I'm not aggressive about it, just matter of fact. I was at a birthday party a few days ago and the birthday girl repeatedly offered me cake and chicken. I didn't want to seem judgemental on her birthday so I just kept politely declining and saying I was fine. It was only when she tried to feed me again once I pulled out my own snack that one of my other friends loudly said "Yeah, she's really going to eat the dead animal!" And then she offered me the cake again so there was the "The cake has eggs and dairy in it. She doesn't eat that!" When the birthday girl asked me what I did eat I just sheepishly held up my snack.

#11 Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I only bring it up if i need to ask whats in something. Darn omnivores are always slipping meat and meat byproducts into everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page