"Vegan Breastfeeding Death" Article circulating social media - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

These articles are about 2 years old, but for some reason are spreading all over social media like wildfire the past couple days.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/baby-breastfed-by-vegan-mother-dies/

"An 11 month old baby exclusively breastfed by a vegan mother has died and the parents are charged with neglect after an autopsy indicated the baby suffered from deficiencies in vitamin B12 and Vitamin A – both known to be critical to a child’s development.

Vegans have long been advised to take B12 supplements as long term veganism runs the huge risk of serious B12 deficiency as well as other nutrients only found in animal foods such as true Vitamin A.   Beta carotene is not true vitamin A nor does it easily convert to adequate amounts of Vitamin A in the body.

While I’m not sure I favor charging the parents in this tragedy as it smacks of Big Brother far too much for my comfort level, it does communicate a clear message to other vegans:  abstinence from all animal foods is a danger to one’s health and most particularly, your baby!"

There is much more to the story, and I am finding links from some of these articles to the Weston A Price foundation which is vehemently against vegan breast milk and recommends using their own homemade formula using bone marrow and meat broth. It seems like an agenda to me, suddenly these articles appear out of the blue and are shared all over.

Here is an article de-bunking the others:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/04/did-homeopathic-medicine-breast-feeding-and-veganism-kill-a-baby/

but unfortunately it isn't circulating as much as the others.

If anybody has the time, help put a stop to this madness and share articles like the one above to set the record straight! And this Weston A Price foundation has been irritating the heck out of me lately. I belong to circles of "crunchy" mom friends and groups and many are buying into all that crap. Feeding their babies bone marrow, cod liver oil, and raw cow's milk. Insanity all over.

If you haven't heard of Weston A Price yet, here is their website: http://www.westonaprice.org/

They are super anti-vegan, and insane. Run currently by Sally Fallon Morell who has been rumored to have ties to the meat and dairy industries.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I've been seeing stories about this posted everywhere too and it's very annoying because it really has nothing to do with veganism. It's especially irritating because I personally know a healthy and happy little vegan toddler who is practically glowing and full of energy.

Feeding your kid nothing but apple juice and soy milk and using clay and cabbage instead of medicine is just crazy, period. These people killed their kid with new agey nonsense not a lack of animal products. rolleyes.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Veganism is more than a diet, it's also about having compassion for animals which to be consistent includes the human-animal. This couple seemed to have little compassion for their child, otherwise they would have welcomed medical attention when she fell ill. For the media though, it's easier to have a rant at "vegans" than at total plant food eaters.

[Sorry Werewolf Girl, I posted before I saw your posting.]

'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

What nonsense.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page