A question for Vegans from my Omni friend - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
High King of Eire

Well, my friend seems to be pretty convinced that vegans, and vegetarians are lacking in quite a few vitamins and a lot of other essential things, and he said that a vegan or vegetarian can't live completely on a no meat diet or animal without vitamin supplements, or if they do they will die at a younger age.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but I want to hear it from a vegan themselves, is there any vitamins which vegans lack? And how do you get all of your vitamins?

Thank you

-A curios vegetarian :3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

As I said to my friend today, anyone can be unhealthy and lacking in nutrients irrespective of whether they are omni, veggie or vegan.  A balanced diet is key to healthy living :)

I think B12 is probably the main vitamin that vegans may need to supplement.  I personally use Floradix iron supplement and a B complex tablet each day; hopefully my diet will cover the rest :)

#3 Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaffle View Post

Well, my friend seems to be pretty convinced that vegans, and vegetarians are lacking in quite a few vitamins and a lot of other essential things, and he said that a vegan or vegetarian can't live completely on a no meat diet or animal without vitamin supplements, or if they do they will die at a younger age.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but I want to hear it from a vegan themselves, is there any vitamins which vegans lack? And how do you get all of your vitamins?

Thank you

-A curios vegetarian :3

I seldom eat processed foods or junk food, even if it is vegan. I mostly eat vegetables, fruit, greens, beans, seeds. I'm vegan and I track my nutrition on sparkpeople.com, and I far exceed most vitamin requirements. The only exception is B12, so I take a supplement.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
High King of Eire

Just wondering, why do humans need B12?
I mean, surely if it can only be taken fomr animal products, which the human body isn't designed to eat, is it really necessary?

#5 Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaffle View Post

Just wondering, why do humans need B12?

I mean, surely if it can only be taken fomr animal products, which the human body isn't designed to eat, is it really necessary?

Its not only available from animals, its readily available in soil but food today is much cleaner than food used to be.

Its also, hillariously enough, common in male ejaculate.

Anyway, the only difficult vitamin is B12.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Its also, hillariously enough, common in male ejaculate.

Typical ~ if I'd known that before becoming celibate I could have saved a fortune in supplements cool3.gif

#7 Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

Marmite !!!!

#8 Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

The American Dietetic Association is the leader in nutrition in the US. They have issued this statement:

Quote:

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods. This article reviews the current data related to key nutrients for vegetarians including protein, n-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, iodine, calcium, and vitamins D and B-12. A vegetarian diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, supplements or fortified foods can provide useful amounts of important nutrients. An evidence-based review showed that vegetarian diets can be nutritionally adequate in pregnancy and result in positive maternal and infant health outcomes. The results of an evidence-based review showed that a vegetarian diet is associated with a lower risk of death from ischemic heart disease. Vegetarians also appear to have lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower rates of hypertension and type 2 diabetes than nonvegetarians. Furthermore, vegetarians tend to have a lower body mass index and lower overall cancer rates. Features of a vegetarian diet that may reduce risk of chronic disease include lower intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol and higher intakes of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, soy products, fiber, and phytochemicals. The variability of dietary practices among vegetarians makes individual assessment of dietary adequacy essential. In addition to assessing dietary adequacy, food and nutrition professionals can also play key roles in educating vegetarians about sources of specific nutrients, food purchase and preparation, and dietary modifications to meet their needs.

link: http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#9 Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Poo Pie Head

When it comes to vitamins like B12, one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get them is through fortified foods. I drink about a cup of fortified soy milk a day (50% rda for b 12 right there.) I also use a fair bit of fortified nutritional yeast when making things like black bean burgers, vegan Mac n cheese, in tofurkey sandwiches, sprinkled on top of salads and tacos, as well as mixed in with popcorn that I spray with some olive oil (homemade vegan Smartfood(tm), anyone? smiley.gif ). Personally, I would rather get such a thing from food sources (fortified for b12) than a pill where you are just pushing a bunch of one thing in to your body all at once.
#10 Old 05-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

Omnis need to supplement B12 too, it is not just a vegan issue.
#11 Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Omnis need to supplement B12 too, it is not just a vegan issue.

I saw a study recently that suggested omnis were becoming more at risk for B12 deficiency than vegans. Animals only get it from eating plants grown in soil, and with the factory farmed crap they're getting now B12 isn't found.

I've noticed more and more foods are supplemented with it now. 
Every energy drink, chewing gums, and more cereals.

I take a calcium, mag and D which is what I'd always taken. (now Deva). 
My iron levels have increased being vegan.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page