Making the trek to Whole Foods...what do I have to try? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been to Whole Foods like 2 times ever. Both quick trips for a specific item while I was already in the area. I've been trying to get over there forever but I can't justify the gas for a trip where I may or may not find things I want. My friend and I decided to go on Monday and split the cost of gas. I know I want to try the follow your heart cheese and ranch dressing.  I need more vegenaise. I also need raw cashews.  All of these are things I can't find locally, or can find at the tiny health food store that often lets things sit on the shelf past their expiration date. dozey.gif

I also hope to find some vegan goodies. I'm in desperate need of a yummy candy bar. Do they carry anything decent? What should I look for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't know anything about Whole Foods the shop. but if a decent wholefoods stockist isn't near you, you should look online. I'd assume (UK here, don't know about the US) that delivery is cheaper than petrol. Online is the way I shop for wholefoods, though there are a couple of great health food shops within an hour of me that I visit occasionally - when I can prod my OH anyway.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Shipping isn't too bad if you don't need cold packs for perishable food. If you do, it's just ridiculous how much it costs (heavier, requires faster shipping)! It's more efficient to split gas with someone and drive 40 miles.

So I at least need to get the perishable stuff on monday. Anything else I can probably have shipped if I need to.

I'm worried about finding chocolate...if I have to ship chocolate this time of year I'd likely need cold packs. rolleyes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

40 miles isn't bad. I know the one by Cleveland expanded their bulk beans and everything. I've actually had problems getting stuff their now because I'm so overwhelmed! Do your research on beans, spicees, salts, teas. I thought I'd at least have heard of most things, but so many were totally new to me! 

I thought I'd try that "black" salt people say has an eggy taste--they had like 5 varities of it!

Chocolove Chocolate!!! I adore the one with crytallized ginger! If you really like (luv) ginger this is the one!

I also love the coffee crunch! Again, if you like coffee! Not all are vegan, actually they say "may contain traces of milk, peanuts or other nuts"

https://www.chocolove.com/chocolate.html

That's all I've got. 

Oh, Earth Balance mayo is as good as Veganaise. I've got the olive oil one. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

40 miles seems like soooo far to me! But I drive a crappy car and I'm always afraid it will break down so maybe the trip just *seems* longer and more stressful than it really is. Me and my friend are taking her husband's commuter car so it's reliable but it doesn't have A/C...should be fun. LOL

I'm really excited about the bulk bins. We don't have bulk bins at any of our local grocery stores.

#6 Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 AM

I have no idea about Whole Foods, but I think it sounds like such a fun trip, so I wanted to say: have a great time! Let us know what you end up buying...and what you try that you love! 

#7 Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I love how they have like 30 different types of beans! I haven't tried any beans other than black, white, kidney or black eyed. I had no idea so many could exist!

And different bulk rices, pastas, lentils, grains up the wazoo- all in bulk.

If it were me I would stockpile all sorts of new yummy dry goods.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#8 Old 05-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Whole Foods is AMAZING. Just pricey. I go every week (though it's only 10 minutes away). Every week and I try something new, because there are so many things to try! Here are a few favs...

Sweets:

-Purely Decadent Ice Cream

-Rice Dream Ice Creams (LOVE the almond bites)

-Rice Dream Chocolate Bars

-Justin's Peanut Butter Cups (way better than Reeses)

-365 Fig Newtons (latest obsession!)

Some Others

-Whole Soy Yogurt

-Rising Moon Ravioli

-HUGE selection of Gardein frozen products

-Tofutti cream cheese, sour cream

Plus they have a great selection of veggies and fruits that are really fresh. I buy the same brand strawberries at Whole Foods as my regular grocery store, and they last a week longer.

#9 Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd try to find things that you know you don't have available nearby but really crave and'll regret it if you don't have it! tongue3.gif

If you can find liquid smoke and nutritional yeast at Whole Foods and haven't had them before then they may just become a temporary staple! grin.gif

Misozuke: http://www.thekitchn.com/is-tofu-misokuke-really-a-vegan-foie-gras-175897

I'd be so jelous if you found this: I'd slather it on everything or just eat the entire packet! yes.gif

Choices makes lush dairy-free chocolate- I tried their crispy mint discs and caramel bites which came with our easter eggs!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#10 Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganamanda View Post

Whole Foods is AMAZING. Just pricey. I go every week (though it's only 10 minutes away). Every week and I try something new, because there are so many things to try! Here are a few favs...

You are not kidding.. it is crazy expensive. I was doing most of my produce shopping there, and stopped real fast after spending almost 700.00 between the normal store to get my wife's groceries and there to get mine, as my wife is still omni. This week I went and did both our shopping at the normal store with only picking up a couple items that were not at the normal store at Whole Foods, and saved 204.00.

Whole Foods is fine for specialty items that you aren't going to need a lot of but never again will I get most of my groceries there... highway robbery.

#11 Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah I'm thankful in a way that it's not closer to me. I do most of my shopping at Kroger, which is still the most expensive store in my area, but I can get the best produce at, and the best "vegan foods" selection at (plant milks, beans, grains, tofu, faux meat and cheese, etc). I try to go to Aldi for some stuff but it always ends up being junk and I think I spend MORE when I stop at Aldi before I hit Kroger. They have these awesome veggie chips for half the price of what you'll kind at other stores.

I just don't know what good stuff has come out recently. I don't want to buy stuff that turns out to taste like cardboard or something. tongue3.gif

#12 Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

Misozuke: http://www.thekitchn.com/is-tofu-misokuke-really-a-vegan-foie-gras-175897

I'd be so jelous if you found this: I'd slather it on everything or just eat the entire packet! yes.gif

I'd gotten Miyoko Schinner book Artisan Vegan Cheese from the library. She has a recipe that sounds like that. I checked amazons look inside feature and found it.

Can't copy or directly link to the recipe, but if you go to the book and the look inside feature and search for miso you'll find it under "page 25, tofu cheese":

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Vegan-Cheese-Miyoko-Schinner/dp/1570672830/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367766163&sr=1-1&keywords=artisan+vegan+cheese

It's a pound of sliced extra firm tofu sliced, covered in a marinade of 1 cup brown miso (?brown) mixed with 1/2 cup white wine and 1/4 cup mirin. Cover and refrigerate for one week, then rinse.

Ewe Nanny likes this.

#13 Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswatik View Post

Whole Foods is fine for specialty items that you aren't going to need a lot of but never again will I get most of my groceries there... highway robbery.

I agree, I usually do my regular shopping at the local grocery store for produce, nuts, and grains. Then I stop by Whole Foods for the things I can't get there - bread, yogurt, EB Soy Milk. Then I try a new "vegan" item like a dessert or frozen item. I realized my list makes me sound like all I eat is junk food haha but that's because I buy the healthy stuff elsewhere.

Expect to pay about $30-$40 per bag of food at Whole Foods. At my grocery store, I usually get 2 bags worth for $25! You just have to price shop. They are actually cheaper for some things, but many things are $1-$2 more at Whole Foods for the same brand.

#14 Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 AM

The one thing I would always go crazy about is their asian potstickers.... should be near the deli if they have it. And they do have some containing meat so make sure to read the label. I was so sad when I moved and couldn't find them anywhere at the whole foods near here. Oh and pick up a tofurkey. Expensive but worth getting once in a great while.

#15 Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Plus draft beer you can drink while shopping in some WF. grin.gif
#16 Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I like their moisturizers.  The "Kiss my face" brand.  They don't make my eyes itch like some commercial brands.

#17 Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Field Roast sausages. Esp. the apple sage!

Last time I looked at them they were about $6.00 for a pack of 4. I just stood there....sick.gif

But they are very good, and it's still better than eating out.

#18 Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM

things I go to whole foods for:

nutritional yeast 

Amy's soups -minestrone my fave

tofutti cream cheese

veganaise

life lite hot dogs -I love hot dog croissants it's my weakness

that delicious field apple sage sausage mentioned above

sometimes I get the Napoleon rice dream ice cream 

sweet and salty popcorn

dandies marshmallows

dark chocolate chips

soy yogurt

canned coconut milk

hard to find flours -chickpea, arrowroot, splitpea, oat, -if you have a food processor you can make most of these though

daiya sliced cheddar cheese -very rarely I don't care much for cheese substitutes but you have to try it at least once or for an occasional recipe

sunscreen -I like Badger brand

hope this helps. enjoy the food! grin.gif also is there a Dierbergs closer? they usually have a little selection that is vegan, mine started carrying the non dairy cream cheese, mayonnaise, soydream ice cream, yogurt, and even daiya cheese. 

the truth resists simplicity- John Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page