Ticks: what are your thoughts on killing them? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I love dogs more than anything on this planet, so when I find a tick on mine I face a dilemma. I usually manage to pull the whole living tick out. I hate to kill it, but don't want it getting back to a dog (or cat) and giving him a disease. I hate to say it but I value dogs over ticks by far. I'm just musing and would like to hear some vegan thoughts on this, and other disease carrying parasites like mosquitos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Impeach the gangster

I consider myself vegan, yet I have no problem washing a tick down the drain or swatting a mosquito. It's an interesting philosophical question. I regard it, not so much as a moral dilemma, as a question of practicality. Are some species too invasive to be tolerated? We talk a lot about people eating animals, but what about when they try to eat us?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 PM

I live in a mosquito infested town (well, I may be exagerating a bit), and I feel ABSOLUTELY no qualm about smacking them. They want my blood, only to go lay eggs and dire, and then the eggs become new mosquitoes who will come try to take my blood, and then go lay eggs and die, and...

The only difference to me is, if they take my blood, they die a bit earlier. And NO, they will not reproduce.

If they don’t bug me (which is rare, they yell Smorgasborg! when they see me), I don't bug them.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

When it comes to spiders, ticks, bees, those sort of critters, I try not to kill or hurt them if it's just an individual or two.  I simply remove them or shoo them away etc. If they are in the house (and/or also on a body) I pick them off and move them outside.  If I am already  outside I move them somewhere else (I have used tissues, broad leaves, whatever I can find on hand to move them).  It just seems pointless to kill something when there are a million others to take its place and do the same thing.  However, when there are more than a few swarming around the house (such as a hive which did happen to me several years ago as a group of hornets built a hive in a wall and it was a nightmare of hornets all over the house) or on my body etc the possibility of harm to me or my dog is much greater and I will take action to rid of them, even if it means having to destroy them if this is the only solution.  I just couldn't live with thousands of hornets swarming all over my house.  It got to where I couldn't sit down for five minutes to eat dinner without them landing on me, and extermination and removal of the hive (finding it was half the battle) was necessary. 

I encountered something like this this morning.  There was a bee in our screened in porch and my husband grabbed the fly swatter to kill it as we were heading out to go somewhere.  I grabbed the swatter from him and said it was pointless to kill it, just shoo it out and that is what I did.  No big deal.  Had there been a hundred of them, well that would have been a big deal.  This is just how I deal with situations.  

As far as mosquitos, I have killed them more out of a reflex action after being bitten than intentionally seeking them out and killing them.  I camp in wilderness areas in the summer and they can get pretty intense.  Prevention is key, such as wearing long sleeves, head nets (with screen netting), etc.  I must be the odd one but I actually do feel a sense of guilt when I kill a critter...well maybe not mosquitos.  But I hate it when I find my husband has dropped a tick in the toilet and I can see the poor thing still thrashing in there.  When I pull one off our dog I just bring it outside or open a window and put it outside if I am on the second floor in my pajamas or something.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

I love dogs more than anything on this planet, so when I find a tick on mine I face a dilemma. I usually manage to pull the whole living tick out. I hate to kill it, but don't want it getting back to a dog (or cat) and giving him a disease. I hate to say it but I value dogs over ticks by far. I'm just musing and would like to hear some vegan thoughts on this, and other disease carrying parasites like mosquitos.

I feel there is a distinct difference between killing a tick off an individual v. Running around and hunting them down.

Ticks, like other things that make a living hurting things. It's not wrong to kill something attacking someone in your charge.
I'd never allow something to be parasitical to my companions. Ticks, heartworms, fleas, etc.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

If I can get them off me, I would put them back outside somewhere. I tried to fish out a tic that my dad put in the garbage bin. Something is so wrong about just "throwing" a beings life away. 

I didn't find him, but yeah, for the most part, unless it was an infestation that needed taking care of, I wouldn't kill them. Most methods of killing them seem like barbaric torture methods...regardless of whether they feel pain or not,...Yeah, I'm not down for that.

I also hate when people use "disease" as an excuse for killing a being. I get that there are some diseases that you really don't want to get, but I do have to remind people that being avoidant of diseases completely will not help you in the long run. You're body needs to build up immunity over time. I'm not saying to let mosquitos bite you or ticks or what have you as they do carry some nasty diseases sometimes but I just want people to remember, SO DO HUMANS. 

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#7 Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Uh, you don't develop "immunity" to diseases like lyme disease, malaria, heartworm...

Parasites need a host in order to survive. By simply shooing off ticks, mosquitos, fleas, you are in fact starving them. If your'e soooooo compassionate, then you should allow these creatures feast on you- a lot.

Wild animals do have immunities to many parasitic diseases which domesticated animals (like humans, cats, dogs, and many factory farmed animals) do not, and will not, develop. Not "over time". Another reason I hate to see cats let outdoors. I have dealt with giardia, heartworm, Feline leukimia, and aid stricken cats. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

My reason for being vegan is simply this:

Killing for self preservation, or protecting another, is forgivable.

Killing without reason is murder.

I don't advocate stepping on insects, swatting, or pesticide use. Using tick and flea protection and taking proper care to eliminate breeding grounds for bugs is imperitive.

natty6 likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page