But meat tastes so good... (I really hate this response) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 AM
 
arcane257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
That phrase or anything similar to it is really starting to get to me. I really want to say something like I am so glad you enjoy the taste of the flesh of a sentient beng raised in hell like conditions that only ends when someone hangs the poor thing upside down and cuts their throat. Only you know less politely and with more swearing.

I know I should have a thicker skin on this issue as I am not new to activism in general, but that response just seems to drive me to frothing lunacy. I know part of it comes from the fact I am already on the defensive because I am indirectly getting **** for my "extreme" diet choice from friends. (Where can you eat again? Wow is there any restruant we can go to now? I guess we should let you choose where we eat since you're so picky now.... You know stuff like that)

Does anyone have a useful response to this? Because I seem to be coming up empty and all it really does is make me more angry and resentful every time it happens. I know I should have more patience and understanding for others blinders on this issue, but yeah it's frustrating to say the least.
arcane257 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761

What about keeping it simple and saying, "But veggies and fruits and rice and such and such taste so good/so much better." 

 

Or just say, "I disagree." 

 

I usually tell people I've hated the taste of meat since I was a kid - which in my case is true and is why I went veggie as a teen BUT even if you used to like meat, this answer works well. 

 

Although I quit eating meat due to taste. Now I'm vegan because the longer I was vegetarian the worse it seemed to me that people would harm animals for food. However, if I say, "I don't get why you'd want to kill animals to eat" I get a ton of slack from people. If I stick to my original "I hate meat" story, people don't bug me as much. I think because most people know what it's like to not like a food but most don't get what's wrong with killing animals. 

 

Sometimes I'll debate if I'm up to it, but if I need a quick "Why I went vegan" answer for someone I don't care much about, I stick to the whole, "Animal products taste gross" answer. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#3 Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 AM
 
arcane257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Yeah I was using its for my cholesterol as my easy response which unless I have one of the Taubes/Atkins fans around typically goes over well. I still do with strangers even though it feels dishonest as its not the real or I guess main reason anymore. I stopped using the health excuse with friends because I got tired of the don't you miss bacon/steak/ECT questions it always seemed to provoke.

I guess for now I will just hope it passes with time.
arcane257 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
I suppose I would say "if you care little for animals' well being, then that would be a good reason to keep eating meat..."
Meat did taste nice when I have eaten it in the past, so I can't deny that.


ETA: I suppose that you should specify farm animals.....obviously they luv the doggies etc...rolleyes.gif

Blobbenstein is offline  
#5 Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane257 View Post

Yeah I was using its for my cholesterol as my easy response which unless I have one of the Taubes/Atkins fans around typically goes over well. I still do with strangers even though it feels dishonest as its not the real or I guess main reason anymore.
 

I get the whole it feels dishonest deal. Sometimes I just want to flip on people who won't shut up about their flipping amazing meat. BUT I also have to debate so much with people close to me (friends and family) about the real reasons I went vegan that I just can't take also dealing with strangers and their lameness too. Thus, I often take the easy road and a fast answer. 

 

The downside is that I may miss an opportunity to educate someone, but seriously, I just can't handle debating all the time. If I'm feeling perky sure, but it gets old real fast trying to debate everyone and their dog. I'd rather have less stress. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#6 Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 AM
 
arcane257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Yeah it's just odd how much it gets to me you know? I have talked/debated with people about equal rights for various groups over the years, and while I used to certainly get worked up over it I never found myself getting so infuriated as I do now. I may just stick to the health claims for now. I mean now that I am Vegan everyone seems to be a nutrition expert wink3.gif, but I seem to get enjoyment in dispelling myths about the vegan diet.
arcane257 is offline  
#7 Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane257 View Post

That phrase or anything similar to it is really starting to get to me. 

Thing is arcane that if these omnis really like the taste of meat, then they really like the taste of meat. When I was an omni, I liked the taste of meat and it was only when I started thinking about other things, initially my health, then animal welfare and animal rights, that I stopped eating meat. Just because I stopped eating meat didn't mean that the taste of meat automatically became bad for me.

leedsveg is offline  
#8 Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617

I do love the taste of meat (or did, the last time I ate it) so I can't really go with the "I never really enjoyed the taste" angle, unless I want to lie to people.

 

I have three different responses, depending on how patient I'm feeling and the tone with which people tell me that meat tastes good-

Really patient "Well, you know, there's loads of vegan food that is very similar in taste and texture to meat. I'd be happy to make something for you, if you'd like"

Patient, but not happy-"I agree. Meat is delicious, but it's not the taste I have a problem with. If it was, I'd just cover it in sauce....The way you're doing right now"

Or, if they're really getting on my nerves "Of course, whether something is right or wrong is directly proportional to whether it gives a person pleasure....Which is why murder and doing drugs are both legal and ethically sanctioned activities. Right?"

Feel free to use them.

Also, for dining out purposes, see if you can find a veg*n phone app. We have Happy Cow in Australia, it tells us where veg*n friendly grocery stores and restaurants are (not all are vegan, some are vegetarian, so be sure to check what it says so you don't get caught out).

Best of luck.

Jennifer C and Ewe Nanny like this.
Tiger Lilly is offline  
#9 Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 AM
 
La Grenouille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Québec
Posts: 504
I've been getting this a lot. People who know me know how much I loved meat. I was a barbecue freak, cooking on my Egg even in the snow, buying cows by the half (no kidding, a little less than half a cow is right now in my freezer - and I can’t go in there anymore without getting worked up a bit). So I couldn’t come out and say veggies taste better, because that would just raise eyebrows and continue with «But you didn’t say that before you turned into a freak...»

So now I just say: «I know, it tastes amazing, doesn’t it? But after all I’ve read, I just can’t eat it anymore.» They mostly stop at that. Maybe the fact that am leaving out something I used to enjoy so much makes them think. Or maybe not.

More frowns, but then people don’t question me too much. Because most of them just don’t want to know. To those who do, I’m always happy to explain.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
La Grenouille is offline  
#10 Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shauna_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 580

I agree that meat tastes good. I think it's freaking delicious.  Ok, but here's the thing....do you know the saying "nothing tastes as good as thin feels?" It's the idea that being thin (and presumably healthy) is more satisfying than anything you could possibly put in your mouth.  Well, I think nothing tastes as good as compassion feels. But I didn't know that until AFTER I went vegan in the first place.  And some people will just never get there because they don't care. Other people will never get there because they think they can't give it up and so they never try, and like me, they won't know until they try.

 

All you can do is try to educate. The rest is up to them. You can't convince everyone.

Jennifer C and Ewe Nanny like this.
Shauna_m is offline  
#11 Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

Well, I think nothing tastes as good as compassion feels. But I didn't know that until AFTER I went vegan in the first place.  And some people will just never get there because they don't care. Other people will never get there because they think they can't give it up and so they never try, and like me, they won't know until they try.

This is my new favorite answer to meat tastes good. Though I do see this happening...

 

Them: "Meat tastes good" 

Me: "Not as good as compassion"

Them: "But it's just a cow....It's not like we're eating dogs!????"

 

Still, really good answer. Right to the point. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#12 Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM
 
arcane257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

I agree that meat tastes good. I think it's freaking delicious.  Ok, but here's the thing....do you know the saying "nothing tastes as good as thin feels?" It's the idea that being thin (and presumably healthy) is more satisfying than anything you could possibly put in your mouth.  Well, I think nothing tastes as good as compassion feels. But I didn't know that until AFTER I went vegan in the first place.  And some people will just never get there because they don't care. Other people will never get there because they think they can't give it up and so they never try, and like me, they won't know until they try.

All you can do is try to educate. The rest is up to them. You can't convince everyone.

That's awesome best response I have gotten anywhere. Thanks so much smiley.gif
arcane257 is offline  
#13 Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

This is my new favorite answer to meat tastes good. Though I do see this happening...

 

Them: "Meat tastes good" 

Me: "Not as good as compassion"

Them: "But it's just a cow....It's not like we're eating dogs!????"

 

Still, really good answer. Right to the point. 

Jennifer, I'm going to borrow this for the immediate future. I hope you don't mind.grin.gif


Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#14 Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

This is my new favorite answer to meat tastes good. Though I do see this happening...

 

Them: "Meat tastes good" 

Me: "Not as good as compassion"

Them: "But it's just a cow....It's not like we're eating dogs!????"

 

Still, really good answer. Right to the point. 


See, I would answer with-

Me: You're right, eating a cow is not like eating a dog. Eating pigs, is more like we're eating dogs because they have the same intelligence as dogs. You know they can learn commands, the same way dogs do? Whereas, cows are probably more like cats. They know you're telling them something, they just don't care. So, eating a cow isn't like eating a dog. It's like eating a cat.
 

Jennifer C and Ewe Nanny like this.
Tiger Lilly is offline  
#15 Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
what does compassion taste like? Maybe strawberry with a hint of pear?tongue3.gif

Blobbenstein is offline  
#16 Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 PM
 
kook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10

It annoys me because it's not the meat that tastes good, it's the spices on it. Especially hot dogs that are made from leftover meat scraps. if you ate one of those without the spices, you would instantly vomit.

 

Also the whole eating cows vs eating dogs thing, you're supposed to eat herbivores, not carnivores. That's why it's ok to eat rabbits, but not cats and dogs. Albeit pigs actually eat other pigs.

kook is offline  
#17 Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Ewe Nanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 710

It's an opinion so you can't argue against it with facts proving that they dislike it, but you can still argue.

 

Ask whether they prioritise the taste others of flesh over the suffering of the animal who was killed for it. Try to emphasise the animal's interest in your replies: it's their body, their life and their pain, and the only person who can help them is the person who chooses not to eat them. It's not about liking meat, it's about saving animals from unnecessary pain.


"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

Ewe Nanny is offline  
#18 Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 PM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
well you could surprise them: "here's a lovely cake I made using the fat from liposuction surgery...some people say these cakes are simply delicious, and I hope you will agree"

tongue3.gifspew.gif
Susannah likes this.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#19 Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post

 

Also the whole eating cows vs eating dogs thing, you're supposed to eat herbivores, not carnivores. That's why it's ok to eat rabbits, but not cats and dogs. Albeit pigs actually eat other pigs.

 

That's a 'rule' my mum brought up once, that the reason we don't eat cats and dogs is because they're carnivorous.

It actually makes no sense, in a natural sense. Carnivores will eat other carnivores without too much hesitation if that's what's available at the time. I'm fairly certain a lion wouldn't suddenly turn down a hyena because those eat meat.

 

In fact, the reason cats hide their poo is part of a survival instinct to help them hide from bigger predators (who would eat them). When they don't hide their poo, as a matter of trivia, they're basically telling you that they think they're the biggest bad in the house. :P
 

Tiger Lilly is offline  
#20 Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 AM
Beginner's Mind
 
Mike4891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 645

They say that human meat is good.


Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

 

The Secret of NIMH

Mike4891 is offline  
#21 Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 AM
 
Susannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 173

^ Apparently it smells like bacon cooking.  And isn't that ranked high in the "top favourite smells" stuff? Bunch of weirdos, if you ask me carrot.gif

Susannah is offline  
#22 Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Shauna_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 580

I know a guy that ate cat meat once and he said it tasted like any other meat. He was in south america and the woman he was staying with had a bunch of chickens. Well a cat got into the chickens and injured one, so she killed the cat, and the chicken couldn't be saved so she killed that too, and cooked them BOTH for dinner. He said both were fine. Of course he was telling me this as I was eating my vegan chinese food. rolleyes.gif  So I've heard the "carnivorous meat doesn't taste good" theory too, but I'm not sure it holds up. I think carnivorous SCAVENGERS are probably something all animals would want to stay away from.

Shauna_m is offline  
#23 Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 AM
 
VeganChick2202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92

Could say something along the lines of, "It sure does taste great. Hey, I know of a marinade that works perfectly with cats/dogs. Want to try it with me?" Works best if you know they have a pet. Or you could say, "Yeah, that great taste is the taste of feces. I like to skip the unnecessary part and just eat it straight from the toilet."  Yeah, kind of gross and silly, but it might get a laugh. Or a really weird look.

 

Personally I just don't say anything. If I do I just mention that I dislike the taste. I think there was maybe once I did start to argue.... but I prefer not to. Most people won't listen you and will feel like you're attacking them which in turn will make them hate you. It can be hard at times keeping quiet, but I feel that it's better (at least for me) to slowly warm people up to it by getting them try new foods or just making little comments here and there that can't be interpreted as an attack or insult and hoping one day they'll realize.

Susannah likes this.
VeganChick2202 is offline  
#24 Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,956

Whatever is the culturally accepted food you're raised on is more than likely going to be what tastes good, whether it's grubs, durian, natto, or various meat.

 

I like to discuss the Hannibal Lechter movies when that gets brought up. Appartently he acquired quite a taste for his sister.

 

It's then my turn to bring up a hypothetical situation:

"So say you went to a really exclusive restaurant and had what was the most delicious meat you ever eat. After you ate it you were told it was a human baby. Since it was better than any food you've had would you try and eat it again? I mean that's why you eat animals, right?"


Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#25 Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 AM
 
kook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10

If we are not herbivores, we are secondary consumers. Meaning you only eat herbivorous animals.
 

kook is offline  
#26 Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post

If we are not herbivores, we are secondary consumers. Meaning you only eat herbivorous animals.
 

?  huh.gif


Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is offline  
#27 Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Beginner's Mind
 
Mike4891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post

If we are not herbivores, we are secondary consumers. Meaning you only eat herbivorous animals.
 

I think that is superstition; part of the cultural pseudo-logic of our meat-eating society. 

 

I often encounter guys telling me we need to eat animals, despite the science showing we do not. (i.e. records of vegan athletes, 104 year old vegetarians)  There is a persistent compulsion to mythologize excerpts from an ecological food web, always taken out of context and exalted into ego reinforcement.  Seems we have made ground beef into a talisman of fitness to survive.  Western man is wired toward domination:: it's an eternal struggle with nature that has no rational exit strategy.


Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

 

The Secret of NIMH

Mike4891 is offline  
#28 Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 AM
 
arcane257's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kook View Post

If we are not herbivores, we are secondary consumers. Meaning you only eat herbivorous animals.

 

Well as long as you don't eat fish, bears, other various "seafoods" , and such. Oh and no pigs from the silence of the lambs books ether. smiley.gif
arcane257 is offline  
#29 Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Beginner's Mind
 
Mike4891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I suppose I would say "if you care little for animals' well being, then that would be a good reason to keep eating meat..."
Meat did taste nice when I have eaten it in the past, so I can't deny that.


ETA: I suppose that you should specify farm animals.....obviously they luv the doggies etc...rolleyes.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Thing is arcane that if these omnis really like the taste of meat, then they really like the taste of meat. When I was an omni, I liked the taste of meat and it was only when I started thinking about other things, initially my health, then animal welfare and animal rights, that I stopped eating meat. Just because I stopped eating meat didn't mean that the taste of meat automatically became bad for me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

I do love the taste of meat (or did, the last time I ate it) so I can't really go with the "I never really enjoyed the taste" angle, unless I want to lie to people.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post

I've been getting this a lot. People who know me know how much I loved meat.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

I agree that meat tastes good. I think it's freaking delicious.

 


Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

 

The Secret of NIMH

Mike4891 is offline  
#30 Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617

For a moment there, Mike, I thought you were having a go.....

 

But yes, that song pretty much sums it up for me.

 

Tiger Lilly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off