increasing body fat on a vegan diet? I'm *this* close to just pigging out on cheese pizza every day. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM

This is a bit of a random question, that I can't seem to find much info on, bascially I want to slightly increase my body fat in the hopes of gaining a slightly curvier figure, and I was wondering what I should eat in the hopes of gaining some body fat, I have a pretty high metabolism and it's really hard for me to gain weight. I'd prefer ideas that are pretty simple to make since I'm pretty busy, and I've been really impatient with cooking ever since my brush with amphetamine addiction three years ago. I'd really appreciate the advice, and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

The most important thing to do is eat more! Focus on calorie rich foods like avocados, coconut, nuts and nut butters and eat larger portions and more snacks.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM

As a nutrition major, I totally agree with Werewolf Girl. Your best bet is to eat more calories. To gain weight, about 1 lb per week, you want to increase 500 calories/day (opposite if you want to lose weight).

Fat has more calories per gram than protein or carbs so it's easier to eat more calories when you eat foods that are higher in fat. Vegenaise, Earth Balance, nut butters, vegetable oils. Dried fruits, while not high in fat, are more dense in calories than fresh fruit. You can also try to increase liquid calories like non-dairy milks, juice and, if you like using the blender, smoothies. Add coconut milk, silken tofu, juice and fresh/frozen fruit or even a little bit of nut butter for a calorie dense smoothie.

You could probably easily get those extra 500 calories with beverages and a few snacks.

Here is a recipe that is super delicious and highly caloric (due to the coconut milk). For those of you who want to try this, but want to cut the fat (it's SUPER rich), you can replace 25% of the coconut milk with soy milk. More soy milk than that and you will need more cornstarch. My husband likes this with a little more salt than in the recipe. My daughter loves this mac & cheeze.

Mac & Cheeze

http://www.veganmontana.org/recipe.php?recipeid=126

Once you make this recipe once you will see that it is not that complicated especially if you have a good blender or food processor.

Adding curves sounds like a fun and delicious mission! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM

its pretty hard as a vegan, but very possible

make sure you eat nutrient dense foods, that's the main thing...anything you eat make sure its not calorie rich, but nutrient rich...don't eat

things just because they have calories on paper, they will be relatively useless in the long run, sustaining but not building, and take up space from better quality foods.

Organic soymilk and orange juice are excellent ways to get in extremely healthy calories in an easy, versatile, inexpensive way. You will get all your EFA's, protein, vitamins, and minerals with the exception of A,D,b12, and iodine (but you could get the fortified version of those drinks to cover A, D, and b12). Iodine - a teaspoon or less of seaweed a day covers 100+% needed, or iodized salt

#5 Old 03-23-2013, 04:13 PM

My son has a high metabolism. He occasionally gets to thin. So, we do smoothies with every meal. I find really good muffins with butter or banana bread made as a cake with frosting are easy ways to get more calories in him.

Avocado chocolate pudding.

Snack on trail mix between meals.

Make a high calorie breakfast parfait with coconut yogurt, granola, and trail mix.

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
#6 Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM

And, that is Earth Balance butter!

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
#7 Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBlossoms View Post

My son has a high metabolism. He occasionally gets to thin. So, we do smoothies with every meal. I find really good muffins with butter or banana bread made as a cake with frosting are easy ways to get more calories in him.

Avocado chocolate pudding.

Snack on trail mix between meals.

Make a high calorie breakfast parfait with coconut yogurt, granola, and trail mix.

OakBlossoms, if your son likes pasta, you should totally try the mac and cheeze recipe I posted above. We use whole wheat pasta in our house. My 18 month old daughter LOVES it and eats a ton of it when we make it. Our daughter doesn't have an issue with being underweight, but she goes through phases of being choosy (I will not say the p word) and this mac and cheeze recipes wins her over every time.

#8 Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

That "cheese" sauce sounds amazing. :drool:

#9 Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 AM

Drink two or three protein shakes a day, and snack on nuts between meals (if you don't have any nut allergies). Sun Warrior vegan protein is by far the best tasting protein powder I've tried. Some people complain about the slightly gritty "earthy" texture of it but I like that. If you mix two scoops of that with a glass of coconut milk you'd have a pretty heavy "meal". I have some friends who are bodybuilders and the way they get huge is to simply EAT like monsters. Their motto is "getting big is 20% gym, 80% diet". Personally I don't agree the idea of stuffing oneself for vanity's sake but that's how they put on weight and grow gigantic muscles.

My blog and e-novel store:  www.JonathanMHemmings.com  
#10 Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Plenty of vegan junk food ou there.

I'm a big fan of pizzas with the vegusto vegan cheese sauce and slices of their melty cheese, beware it's very addictive. Redwood's is also making frozen pizzas if you don't want to make it yourself, but they are not very rich in cheese. The slighlty spicy one is good for a veggie frozen pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page