Favorite vegan freezer meals? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Zelda Freak

When my son is at home I'm really good about eating at regular times and cooking nice meals. When he's at his dad's I start slacking - forget to eat at normal times and get lazy about cooking. I recently made some vegan pot pies (mini) and stuck them in the freezer, then found that this really helped me to eat better, because I can just pop one out into the oven then eat it with some fruit. 

That said, I don't tend to make and freeze a whole lot of meals. I'm thinking about making some homemade vegan hot pockets and freezing those, but I'd like to do other stuff too.

Long story short - what are your favorite make-ahead and freeze meals - I'm looking for ideas that are vegan, NOT too complicated and that freeze and reheat well. 

OakBlossoms likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Chili freezes and reheats well. I'm beginning to think chili is the perfect dish in every respect!

Dough-around-filling type dishes generally freeze well (ravioli, pierogi,  stuff like that). Usually you can just cook them without thawing first, so they're quick and convenient.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

What's in my freezer right now:

Black Bean and Sweetcorn Chilli

Tomato and Mushroom Ragu. 

'Mexican' Bean Burgers.

Curried Nutburgers.

Mushroom, Leek and Butterbean Puff Pasty Pies (individual).

Other stuff that's often in my freezer:

Lentil Shepherd's Pie (in individual ovenproof dishes)

Mushroom and Aubergine Lasagne (in individual dishes) - not vegan

Boston Baked Beans

Less frequent entries ('cos I usually cook them from fresh)

Veggie Curry

Sweet and Sour Tofu

Glamorgan Sausages - not vegan

Err, there's other stuff I can't think of right now..

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Chili freezes and reheats well. I'm beginning to think chili is the perfect dish in every respect!

Dough-around-filling type dishes generally freeze well (ravioli, pierogi,  stuff like that). Usually you can just cook them without thawing first, so they're quick and convenient.

Chili is a great idea! I always forget about this dish. I tend to make a lot of dough stuff - tooooooo much dough not helpful for my thighs, but I'll likely keep on making it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

What's in my freezer right now:

Black Bean and Sweetcorn Chilli

Tomato and Mushroom Ragu. 

'Mexican' Bean Burgers.

Curried Nutburgers.

Mushroom, Leek and Butterbean Puff Pasty Pies (individual).

Other stuff that's often in my freezer:

Lentil Shepherd's Pie (in individual ovenproof dishes)

Mushroom and Aubergine Lasagne (in individual dishes) - not vegan

Boston Baked Beans

Less frequent entries ('cos I usually cook them from fresh)

Veggie Curry

Sweet and Sour Tofu

Glamorgan Sausages - not vegan

Err, there's other stuff I can't think of right now..

Geez, I'll be right over.

You're on top of it. These are some really great ideas! I should freeze some bean burgers. I always make fresh, but those freeze great. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#5 Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I do like bulk cooking, it takes no effort really. Well maybe a little extra prep time to do double quantities or whatever, but not much.

Pasties are a goody to freeze too. You can put them in a lunch box, have with a green salad, have with soup or serve as a part of a main meal with potatoes and vegetables. I do a vegan version of a traditional Cornish Pasty (basically a filling of cooked root veggies flavoured with pepper and yeast extract) with wholemeal pastry. This is the recipe I follow: http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/pasty.htm

I also do pizza sauce and wholemeal pizza base (bagged and frozen in pizza sized portions after being knocked back after it's risen the first tiem). Pizza making is fast and easy if you get those bits out of the way ahead of time.

Another thing I like to do - though not for teh freezer - is to have a big bowl of some kind of wholegrain salad made up in the fridge, as well as a big jug of some kind of veggie soup in the fridge door. Both will stay good for several days and serve as filling quick lunches or suppers during the week.

#6 Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM

I like chili because you can make a million things out of it. Add it to leftover rice to make rice and beans. Top it with cornbread batter and bake. Toss some veggie dogs in and make chili dogs.

I want to make hot pocket things, too. My kids would love that.

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
#7 Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBlossoms View Post

I like chili because you can make a million things out of it. Add it to leftover rice to make rice and beans. Top it with cornbread batter and bake. Toss some veggie dogs in and make chili dogs.

I want to make hot pocket things, too. My kids would love that.
Love chili! I put it 'over' a baked white or sweet potato often for a work lunch.
#8 Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM

These aren't really meal suggestions but they help me out when I need something fast.Freeze breads,tortillas,bananas.fruits for a quick sandwich or smoothie.Helps me when I can't think what I want.I usually have precut veggies to make the sandwiches or veggie lunch meat.I also make biscuits and keep in the fridge for a few days then reheat whenever I want.Throw a nut gravy and cooked veggies over them and it turns into a fast little meal.Which you could premake.

#9 Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 PM

I freeze alot of things in single portions and family meal size portions when I make a big batch of something and have alot of leftovers. Things in my freezer now:

Boston Baked Beans

Tex Mex Pinto Beans

Cooked pinto, black beans, black-eyed peas, chickpeas and refirend pinto beans

Pasta Sauce

Lentil Soup

Tofu Stuffed Shells

While not all these things are ready meals alot of them can quickly be made into one. I can reheat the pasta sauce while I boil the pasta or make quick bean burritos ect. You can tell I like o freeze beans :) I usually cook half or a whole bag of dried beans and freeze them in tupperware conatiners. Today I cooked some basmati rice while I sauteed spinach. In with the spinach I threw in some pre-made chickpeas and a jar or Indian curry sauce. Toped the rice with the curry and fresh cilantro and seved with naan bread (so happy I found a delicious brand recently). Had dinner on the table for the family in 20 min!

#10 Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Zelda Freak

Lots of good ideas! I've been making a list.

I also checked on Pinterest for stuff that might be good to freeze. I found these awesome looking calzones, some lasagna and some pasta primavera with creamy spinach sauce - not super healthy stuff on it's own, but if I freeze small portions and eat servings with fruit it'll work out. 

I soaked some cashews all night so I can make an Alfredo sauce I found (I made it before for vegan pizza, it was awesome) and I'm going to use that today to make some hot pockets (with broccoli and other veggies, plus look for a veggie chili recipe. Most of the veggie ones I've made are too watery, so I'm looking for a thicker recipe. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#11 Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
look for a veggie chili recipe. Most of the veggie ones I've made are too watery, so I'm looking for a thicker recipe. 

My go-to chili is pretty thick. I never make it the same way twice, but since I'm making it tonight I'll write down today's version and (if it's tasty as usual) post it in the recipe forum. I'll leave out the bourbon so it can be comfortably shared with youngsters. smiley.gif

Jennifer C likes this.

#12 Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I do chilli by eye. One 500g bag of red kidney or black beans or pinto beans (or a mixture) soaked overnight and cooked, then drained and set aside. Three or four onions chunky chopped and fried in a big pan til tender. Half a dozen chunky chopped bell peppers (whatever colours) added to the pan and sauteed for another ten minutes or so. Three or four tins of chopped tomatoes added to pan, plus the beans, three or four heaped tablespoons of chilli powder or dried chilli flakes (we like it warm), salt, a hearty glug of tomato ketchup, a couple tablespoons brown sugar, a couple tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, a quarter to a half a bag of frozen sweetcorn, err what else.. couple tablespoons cumin powder maybe.. and maybe a little dash of vinegar to taste (ETA: I see Dave uses whiskey!). *just* enough water to cover the beans (I only use about half a can of water to top up the liquid from the  tomatoes). Bring to boil, reduce heat, put on a lid (at a jaunty angle) and simmer till thick and glossy. About 40 mins or so, don't forget to stir now and then. I sometimes put a pound of chunky chopped mushrooms in with the bell peppers too, they soak up all the flavours while simmering away in the sauce and turn into little juicy morsels of savouriness, really spicy too - better than any meat substitute. I find this amount serves about eight. But my partner does like a good sized portion and I do most of my bulk cooking for him (I'm on a rice and steamed vegetables kick) Oh, and I must confess that I don't hold back on the salt, or on the vegetable oil either blush.gif

#13 Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I make burritos 12 at a time and freeze them.  They cook in the microwave in 3.5 minutes. 

Mix vegetarian refried beans with Knorr Fiesta Sides Spanish Rice (not Mexican Rice)

Divide onto 12 tortillas

Add chopped green chilis on top

Add Pace picante sauce on top

Roll up the tortilla pin with a toothpick

Freeze

You can put lettuce and tomato on top after cooking

#14 Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

I do chilli by eye. One 500g bag of red kidney or black beans or pinto beans (or a mixture) soaked overnight and cooked, then drained and set aside. Three or four onions chunky chopped and fried in a big pan til tender. Half a dozen chunky chopped bell peppers (whatever colours) added to the pan and sauteed for another ten minutes or so. Three or four tins of chopped tomatoes added to pan, plus the beans, three or four heaped tablespoons of chilli powder or dried chilli flakes (we like it warm), salt, a hearty glug of tomato ketchup, a couple tablespoons brown sugar, a couple tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, a quarter to a half a bag of frozen sweetcorn, err what else.. couple tablespoons cumin powder maybe.. and maybe a little dash of vinegar to taste (ETA: I see Dave uses whiskey!). *just* enough water to cover the beans (I only use about half a can of water to top up the liquid from the  tomatoes). Bring to boil, reduce heat, put on a lid (at a jaunty angle) and simmer till thick and glossy. About 40 mins or so, don't forget to stir now and then. I sometimes put a pound of chunky chopped mushrooms in with the bell peppers too, they soak up all the flavours while simmering away in the sauce and turn into little juicy morsels of savouriness, really spicy too - better than any meat substitute. I find this amount serves about eight. But my partner does like a good sized portion and I do most of my bulk cooking for him (I'm on a rice and steamed vegetables kick) Oh, and I must confess that I don't hold back on the salt, or on the vegetable oil either blush.gif

Oh I gotta try this recipe! Of course with the mandatory Dijon mustard and a splash of BBQ sauce that I add to every chili recipe or even canned chili. smiley.gif
#15 Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 AM

The Qrunch quinoa burgers, so so good! And the sunshine burgers in garden herb. 

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#16 Old 03-09-2013, 01:11 PM

I also just saw an alfredo sauce recipe that looked thick as it is made with vegan cream cheese http://vegweb.com/recipes/alfredo-sauce-1 I think I might try the hot pockets as suggested.This sauce looks like it would work well with them.hungry.gif

#17 Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's the chili recipe I use -- it uses canned refried beans to make it nice and thick - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/veg-head-three-bean-chili-recipe/index.html

It's great as is, or you can make it a little milder and more pantry friendly by using canned mild green chilis instead of jalapeños, and I like to put in the whole can of refried beans instead of just 1 cup. I'm not so much of a Rachael Ray fan as I used to be, but I still keep coming back to this recipe as its so easy to put together and delicious. I never bother with any toppings, but vegan cheddar and a dollop of vegan sour cream or unsweetened soy yogurt would probably be good. I usually serve it with cornbread, but it's also good over rice.

It freezes really well - you might want to make a double batch for freezing, as it doesn't make a gigantic amount.
#18 Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Don't forget you can thicken chili with corn meal or better yet masa harina. If your chili isn't TOO watery anyway.

'IckenNoodleSoup likes this.

#19 Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Homemade pizzas, bean burgers and lasagna are always in our freezer. Chili works real well too.

Oh, and a bottle of vodka..but that's not food devil.gif

#20 Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Don't forget you can thicken chili with corn meal or better yet masa harina. If your chili isn't TOO watery anyway.

I've never tried that! Sounds good.

I think bulgar wheat also works well as another ingredient in veggie chilli, especially if you've got a bit of a watery mix and want to thicken it up - gives a lovely extra bit of texture for those that like the veggie mince effect but don't want the processed soy.

#21 Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

My chili is going to absolutely rock after incorporating this new knowledge. If I do say so myself. grin.gif
#22 Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I think bulgar wheat also works well as another ingredient in veggie chil

Indeed. I always include bulgar.

#23 Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Zelda Freak

Great chili tips everyone! Thanks. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane1 View Post

I also just saw an alfredo sauce recipe that looked thick as it is made with vegan cream cheese http://vegweb.com/recipes/alfredo-sauce-1 I think I might try the hot pockets as suggested.This sauce looks like it would work well with them.hungry.gif

I've been making this Alfredo sauce - http://veganyumyum.com/2009/09/hurry-up-alfredo-vyy-cookbook/

BUT it's not really like Alfredo AT ALL. - I have no clue what would make someone call this Alfredo.

That said, it's delicious x 100. My boyfriend likes chicken Alfredo pizza, so I put this sauce on a pizza with broccoli, mock chick, red onion, tomatoes, and some other toppings and it was amazing, but not like Alfredo, more like um, I can't even explain it. It's kind of nutty and tangy. (See above how it's not white at all - the sauce is a very light brown/yellowish color).

I really like it on pasta too, but the BF doesn't. So I'm going to try this recipe you linked to with the cream cheese, because it seems like it would be more typical Alfredo. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#24 Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Great chili tips everyone! Thanks. 

I've been making this Alfredo sauce - http://veganyumyum.com/2009/09/hurry-up-alfredo-vyy-cookbook/

BUT it's not really like Alfredo AT ALL. - I have no clue what would make someone call this Alfredo.

That said, it's delicious x 100. My boyfriend likes chicken Alfredo pizza, so I put this sauce on a pizza with broccoli, mock chick, red onion, tomatoes, and some other toppings and it was amazing, but not like Alfredo, more like um, I can't even explain it. It's kind of nutty and tangy. (See above how it's not white at all - the sauce is a very light brown/yellowish color).

I really like it on pasta too, but the BF doesn't. So I'm going to try this recipe you linked to with the cream cheese, because it seems like it would be more typical Alfredo. 

I still haven't tried it yet.But if you try it let me know what you think.I have to get the cream cheese.It seems I'm always looking for a good white sauce for pastas and pizza.Hard to find one you really love.

#25 Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This split pea soup is fantastic and freezes well if it makes it that far! grin.gif
http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-split-pea-soup-233926
#26 Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Poo Pie Head

One idea for home made freezer meals is to make up a bunch of pancakes and tofu scramble and package both together in little single serve ziplock baggies. I just did that to pancakes, but with a little fnthe scramble in there, breakfast would be a breeze!smiley.gif
#27 Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Moody View Post

One idea for home made freezer meals is to make up a bunch of pancakes and tofu scramble and package both together in little single serve ziplock baggies. I just did that to pancakes, but with a little fnthe scramble in there, breakfast would be a breeze!smiley.gif
What a great idea! I freeze pancakes and waffles bit never thought to freeze the scramble too. :thumbup:
#28 Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane1 View Post

I still haven't tried it yet.But if you try it let me know what you think.I have to get the cream cheese.It seems I'm always looking for a good white sauce for pastas and pizza.Hard to find one you really love.

I am going to try it. Maybe Wed (next wed not upcoming). I'm having a dinner party and thought I could go easy and just make pasta, alfredo, veggies and fruit. BUT since not everyone likes that yellow looking sauce I made (I love it) I'm going to make both the one I like and the cream cheese one, so people have a choice. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#29 Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I am going to try it. Maybe Wed (next wed not upcoming). I'm having a dinner party and thought I could go easy and just make pasta, alfredo, veggies and fruit. BUT since not everyone likes that yellow looking sauce I made (I love it) I'm going to make both the one I like and the cream cheese one, so people have a choice. 

That sounds fun!Good menu choice.You could also add a salad.Please let me know how it all turns out.I really want to know what you think of the white sauce.Good Luck!smiley.gif

#30 Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Finally got around to posting that chili recipe: https://www.veggieboards.com/t/139865/positively-pantry-chili

OakBlossoms and Jennifer C like this.

Tags
Vegan-Recipes , healthy-recipes , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page