Vegan foods that really make you FART!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I once cooked up some yellow split peas, and the stench that just came flowing out of my backside was pretty horrific, not just one or two bottom burps but a pongy plethora of gas bombs emenated from my posterior, so never again with those little devils. Sometimes if i eat too many dates i might not stop farting for several days, i also consume baked beans everyday, but these don't seem to have any real effect on me, so i think the old adage about baked beans turning you into a rip roaring monster is just a myth.

Any tales of ferocious farty foods, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

When I first changed my diet towards whole foods I would get a lot of gas, but now its not so bad. Over time your digestive system adjusts, so you can eat baked beans without much problem because you eat them all the time....where as someone that rarely ate beans would get a lot of gas. Yellow split peas are new for you and result in a gas factory. So not so much a myth, instead foods react differently depending on how often you eat them, your particular digestive make-up, etc.

Anyhow, for someone whenever I eat whole wheat with broccoli I get a lot of gas. I have no idea why the combination is a problem, when I eat these foods separately or with other foods its not an issue.
#3 Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

I used to fart a lot, and smelly, when I ate meat and eggs. After giving them up, I was fine.

The things that do cause farts are usually under cooked grains, and sometimes broccoli. They smell like cooked broccoli when you take off the lid after it's sat in the fridge. Doesn't linger.

I've never understood the idea that veg'ns fart more. The ones I know don't seem to, but the meateaters do! spew.gif

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Anybody that eats more fiber is going to fart more, gas is a byproduct of the bacterial fermentation of fiber in the large intestine. Since vegans tend to eat more fiber, they tend to fart more. Though not all vegans have high fiber diets.
#5 Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I fart less then when I was a meat eater and the smell is nothing compared to before. I make sure to let my beans soak with a bit of baking soda it is supposed to help. I think it's all about the quantities and how often you eat them. Cabbage soup used to make me fart a lot lol I dunno if it still does.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#6 Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM

LOL, ah geez...I have the sense of humour of a ten year old boy.

I think I fart less on the whole since going vegan. I suspect this is largely to do with cutting out dairy. Certain foods have a tendency to bloat me (with gaseous effects), like certain types of noodles, pasta and couscous. That's probably a wheat thing and was the case pre-vegan. Beans and lentils don't seem to cause me issues.

The biggest factor for me is quantity though. If I eat too much in one sitting, or even just eat too much over the course of a single day, then that causes digestive issues. My intestines seem to work best if they only have to handle small portions.

Oh wait, actually, I just thought of one: raisins. I sometimes take them with to wok as a snack, but not too often as usually that means spending the remainder of the work day in intestinal agony. Oddly, when I stir raisins into porridge they don't affect me that I've noticed. Dunno if that's because they get heated up which changes them in some way, or because they're being eaten in combination with something else their effects are lessened.

#7 Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Kidney beans, specifically in this one vegetarian chili product where I think they hadn't been soaked long enough...................................

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#8 Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy cheese gives me the butt burps so much!

...ahem...and kidney beans, of course.

#9 Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 AM

Guys when it comes to cool foods like veggies, fruit (besides citrus), beans, and mushrooms...and wheat too actually, you gotta spice them well and them warm!

They cause gas because they aren't fully digested, not because of you, but just because they are difficult to digest in general...so just mash em up, make them soft, prepare them warm, and very important is the use of mild heating/warming spices so you can fully digest them (Basically use the spices that will make them taste perfectly good to you at the time, your body is smart).

The good thing about vegan farts as opposed to meat/egg/dairy is that if they smell...its usually just like the food you ate but with meat/dairy/eggs it smells like a dead animal or just really rotten

and foul (when I get close to my family members in the morning, their breath smells like dog breath and they have the goo in their eyes, stuff we all and I used to think was just normal for people!

lol)

#10 Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard that if you cook legumes in the liquid that you soaked them in that causes more gas. 

#11 Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 AM

I once ate green lentils and I was so happy being alone, you wouldn't believe me. My stomach seemed like a bottle of water which kept spinning for half an hour. Well I was pretty successful on my toilet afterwards.
#12 Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Umm, all of them. Seriously it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I'm gassy (and stinky) regardless! Poor husband... blush.gif
#13 Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard that if you cool legumes in the liquid that you soaked them in that causes more gas. 

This is definitely true. Do not cook beans in the soaking water.  Beans release sugars that are difficult to digest when they are soaking and those sugars end up in the water, dump the water and rinse the beans well before cooking.  

Also the liquid in canned beans should not be consumed, always dump that and rinse the beans wells.  You can see bubbles when you first rinse the canned beans and they feel a little slimy from the liquid, rinse all that off for better digestion. 

#14 Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard that if you cool legumes in the liquid that you soaked them in that causes more gas. 

This is definitely true. Do not cook beans in the soaking water.  Beans release sugars that are difficult to digest when they are soaking and those sugars end up in the water, dump the water and rinse the beans well before cooking.  

Also the liquid in canned beans should not be consumed, always dump that and rinse the beans wells.  You can see bubbles when you first rinse the canned beans and they feel a little slimy from the liquid, rinse all that off for better digestion. 

Exactly. ^^ When cooking lentils, split peas, and other dry legumes that don't need soaking, make sure you use enough water, and cook till they are very soft. Skim off scum or bubbles that are in the cooking water occasionally while it cooks.

An interesting spice that Indians use sort of medicinally is Asafoetida. It is very good for intestinal gas. It has a weird and good taste; I use it in dal and no gas. smiley.gif

http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2010/06/spice-hunting-asafoetida-hing.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page