Tough being vegan sort of... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM

I recently signed up here. I love it so far to smiley.gif

But I'm kinda on and off as a vegan for some reason. I was out yesterday at Buffalo Wild Wings with a few friends to watch this wrestling PPV. All I ordered was water, tortilla chips and salsa. Good. I was on the fence about trying out this appetizer that had pita chips & spinach and artichoke dip. I ate a few of those and then decided to see what's the ingredients and lo behold the dip contain cheese. Uh! That made me to start all over again. Granted I was 3 days into being vegan but it just upsets me that eating out now is pretty tough than I expected because I have to constantly be on the look out if particular foods have meat or dairy in them.

I can definitely eliminate dairy when I'm home. Because the foods I purchase are mainly plant base and well vegan. But when I eat out with my friends and family my selections are limited.

I figured my selection would of been limited at Buffalo Wild Wings anyway. But it still upsets me that I'm finding it harder now to eat out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Like what should I do to prevent eating these dairy products that might be at these food chains? Call in advance and ask is there any vegan options?

Thanks a bunch,

Bruce smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Yeah, eating out IS hard.  But, that is both good and bad.  Good because my family saves a ton of money and we are eating healthier now that restaurants are no longer an option, bad because we do miss it a lot.

I guess my first thought is to really research what restaurants in your area have foods you can eat.  Don't go to a restaurant unarmed!  The internet is great for that.  I don't know the sites offhand, but there are whole sites devoted to which chain restaurants have vegan foods.  Also, you can call but I would recommend telling them you are vegetarian and have a serious allergy to eggs and dairy.  They seem to take that more seriously, they don't want you to die at their restaurant.  lol

And, really, every day/meal/moment you are vegan counts.  You don't get a special prize for being 100% anything, and if you did no one would get it because it is damn impossible to be 100% vegan.  Animal products are all around us, in everything we use.  I am not saying this to discourage you, but rather to keep you from feeling guilty.  Just try your best and allow for setbacks like that.  You didn't know they weren't vegan, and if you had known you wouldn't have eaten it.  It happens to all of us.

#3 Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Banned

https://www.veganeatingout.com/
This site and app lists vegan food options at chain restaurants, there are more options than u think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

https://www.veganeatingout.com/
This site and app lists vegan food options at chain restaurants, there are more options than u think.

Thanks. But what is the name of the app I should download?
#5 Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilatheHoney View Post

Yeah, eating out IS hard.  But, that is both good and bad.  Good because my family saves a ton of money and we are eating healthier now that restaurants are no longer an option, bad because we do miss it a lot.

I guess my first thought is to really research what restaurants in your area have foods you can eat.  Don't go to a restaurant unarmed!  The internet is great for that.  I don't know the sites offhand, but there are whole sites devoted to which chain restaurants have vegan foods.  Also, you can call but I would recommend telling them you are vegetarian and have a serious allergy to eggs and dairy.  They seem to take that more seriously, they don't want you to die at their restaurant.  lol

And, really, every day/meal/moment you are vegan counts.  You don't get a special prize for being 100% anything, and if you did no one would get it because it is damn impossible to be 100% vegan.  Animal products are all around us, in everything we use.  I am not saying this to discourage you, but rather to keep you from feeling guilty.  Just try your best and allow for setbacks like that.  You didn't know they weren't vegan, and if you had known you wouldn't have eaten it.  It happens to all of us.

Thank you. I guess I was striving for perfection like I did when I was a vegetarian last year and currently. One of the HUGE benefits for me or anyone vegan really, is that it prevents us from eating out which then saves money in the pocket. That's what I'm highly grateful for smiley.gif

But when I'm out socializing with others. It upsets me that I have to eat different and my choices are very scarce. But I'm getting use to it.
#6 Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM

When eating out you have a few choices:

1. Check out the menu before you go.

2. Ask the waiter (who probably doesn't know anything).

3. Go to a vegetarian or vegan restaurant. Try http://www.happycow.net/

4. Eat something else before or after.

5. Try, and don't beat yourself up if you fail.

When I go out to a vegan unfriendly place (like a restaurant that marks fish as vegetarian on the menu...) I just try. The potatoes could be covered in butter, the rice could be cooked in chicken stock, but as long as I don't know that, it doesn't matter. Veganism isn't about being perfect, it's about trying your hardest.

BarefootKate likes this.
#7 Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruistopher View Post

Thanks. But what is the name of the app I should download?
This is one of many:
http://vegoutapp.com/
#8 Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

You can have pasta at most restaurants, just ask for marinara sauce. Veggie pizza without cheese is delicious also. There is always stir fry, just ask that they left out the meat or replace it with rice. Chow mein can be easily be fixed vegan, mushroom/tomato/lettuce sandwich, I dunno, look at the menu and see what you can asked to be left out or replaced. I found out restaurants don't mind little changes.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#9 Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

if you have a smartphone you can google the restaurant name and vegan or restaurant name, a dish and vegan. that's what i do a lot and usually i find a pretty good answer. it gets easier with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsEmilie View Post

When I go out to a vegan unfriendly place (like a restaurant that marks fish as vegetarian on the menu...) I just try. The potatoes could be covered in butter, the rice could be cooked in chicken stock, but as long as I don't know that, it doesn't matter. Veganism isn't about being perfect, it's about trying your hardest.
i always ask about those things, skip the rice if needed and ask to get veggies without butter or anything on them. but i agree it's about trying your best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

You can have pasta at most restaurants, just ask for marinara sauce. Veggie pizza without cheese is delicious also. There is always stir fry, just ask that they left out the meat or replace it with rice. Chow mein can be easily be fixed vegan, mushroom/tomato/lettuce sandwich, I dunno, look at the menu and see what you can asked to be left out or replaced. I found out restaurants don't mind little changes.
if the pasta is made fresh it probably has egg in it which sucks
#10 Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Not asking about ingredients =/= "trying your hardest."

LOL

I agree with checking out happycow.net and eating beforehand.  Also try eating whole/unprocessed foods at restaurants (stuff you can see what's in it - salads, spinach, mixed greens, tomatoes, avocado, sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, celery, sweet fruits.

To be honest, I'd expect it more likely than not that something labeled "spinach dip" has dairy and/or meat in it.

#11 Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is a good list for chain restaurants: http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/chain-restaurants.aspx
#12 Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Everybody gave really good advice, just wanted to say it does get easier. It becomes second nature :)

***Wanderlust*** New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page