What did you eat vegan today? (Version 2.0) - Page 76 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1952Likes

#2251 Old 05-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
jessandria how do you make your cashew mayo? I usually make a mayo with avocado but it doesn't work well with everything.

So far I've had a chickpea salad sandwich and some grapes. Dinner will be a stir-fry.
I didn't make it. I got the sandwich from the vegan store/restaurant near me.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2252 Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

B: blended tofu pudding (tofu, banana, pure cocoa powder, stevia, pinch of salt and vanilla extract)

morning snack: two whole wheat Ezekiel toasts with salsa

afternoon snack: handful of whole almonds; apple

dinner: mashed red potatoes (mashed with white beans, onion, garlic, salt/pepper, and almond milk); roasted carrots and brussel sprouts with maple/mustard/vinegar dressing; almond milk

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2253 Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

coffee with soymilk

salad with romaine, tomato, green bell pepper, hummus, lemon juice, onion

cantaloupe

watermelon

bean soup: yellow split peas, black beans, cabbage, carrots, tomato, sweet potatoes, celery, onion, sage, bay leaf, hot sauce, goya sazon, olive oil

brown rice

hickory smoked peanuts
no whey jose and custardpie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2254 Old 05-16-2015, 08:35 PM

B. Chickpea scramble and roasted potatoes.
Two strawberries for looks, on my plate, lol.
Orange juice.
Coffee with sugar and soy milk.

L. Leftover chickpea scramble. It made a ton, a good meal after my parents also had some for breakfast.
More coffee, I just could not stay awake today.

S. Chocolate peanut butter smoothie, almost two actually. I stole what wouldn't fit in my mom and dad's glasses. B)

D. Guacamole I had from another day, and tortilla chips.

Other: Water. Mixed nuts.
Overall, needs the greens for health! But for me, best I've eaten lately but still doing much better than usual. Feeling good tonight.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" - Star Wars
#2255 Old 05-17-2015, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

black tea with soya milk

a few handfuls of berry muesli

coconut milk with cacao and crushed banana

dried fruit mix (raisins, cranberries, and cherries)

pasta with sausage, spinach, and tomato sauce

doughnuts!!!

jam tarts

Last edited by no whey jose; 05-17-2015 at 11:09 AM.
#2256 Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 AM
Beginner

Yesterday was an interesting day:
B - Oats with oat milk

L - 1 carrot and 3 glasses of Kahlua with oat milk

D -12 bananas

Today:
B - Oats with oat milk

L - 8 medjool dates and 3 bananas

D - Croatian potato dumplings (knedle)

Dessert: Chocolate cake
no whey jose likes this.
#2257 Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM

B: Apple and coffee

L: mushy veggies and a potato bread bun. It was a birthday party, and my mamaw made sure there was a vegan option.

D: my first shot at making pad Thai with zoodles

Also tried the Ommegang Three Eyed Raven ale. Amazing, and vegan.

Edit: and a vegan frosted brownie. Yum.
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by Eternal Sunshine; 05-17-2015 at 08:24 PM.
#2258 Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

All the cashews!!!!!
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.
#2259 Old 05-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post

pasta with sausage, spinach, and tomato sauce

doughnuts!!!

jam tarts
Um, ok.. pardon my ignorance but I'm a little concerned with the above dishes.. sausage? Did you mean sausage or sauce?

Doughnuts - many have gelatine/L-cysteine.. are you aware of that?

Jam-tarts - high potential for gelatine usage.

Again I'm just curious.. hope you REALLY didn't mean sausage in the traditional sense.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#2260 Old 05-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure she meant vegan sausage, and just assumed people would know that's what she meant. Same with the doughnuts and jam tarts.
no whey jose likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2261 Old 05-18-2015, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Um, ok.. pardon my ignorance but I'm a little concerned with the above dishes.. sausage? Did you mean sausage or sauce?

Doughnuts - many have gelatine/L-cysteine.. are you aware of that?

Jam-tarts - high potential for gelatine usage.

Again I'm just curious.. hope you REALLY didn't mean sausage in the traditional sense.
Thanks for your concern, @varun , but I think I've been vegetarian long enough to learn how to read labels!

Don't you have a good selection of vegan treats where you live? I'm lucky here. Our local shop has a range of dairy- and egg-free sweets including custard, shortbread cookies, pie, doughnuts, and jam tarts. If you're in the UK, check out the "Free From" section of your local Co-op.

The sausages are by Linda McCartney. Surely you've had vegan sausages?! This particular brand might only be available in the UK, but when I lived in the US my favourite brand was Field Roast. You can probably find them in any Whole Foods. Even if you didn't like sausages as an omni, I highly recommend their apple sage links. They're delicious and I miss them terribly since I left.

For the record, you can safely assume that everything I post here is vegan.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#2262 Old 05-18-2015, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

earl grey tea with soya milk

definitely vegan jam tarts

noodles with peas and spinach

red grapes

Nakd bar

raisins

mixed nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews)

whole wheat pasta with green pepper, red onion, and courgette in tomato sauce

Last edited by no whey jose; 05-18-2015 at 01:13 PM.
#2263 Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: canned pumpkin (1/2 the can), banana, blackstrap molasses

ms: apple and hot almond milk

lunch: Made a batch of this for this coming week's lunches and had some for today: split peas, sweet potato, eggplant, raisins, onion, curry powder, cinnamon, and vegetable broth all simmered in a skillet. I found a recipe for it in one of my cookbooks some time ago but couldn't remember which one and skimmed all twelve of them looking. Had to wing it. Also made some brown rice for the week and added cocoa powder and maple syrup to it for a sort of dessert/snack for late mornings.

Dinner: black beans, can of stewed tomato, onion, zucchini simmered on the stove. Had made some homemade whole wheat bread and had this dish with two slices of that right out of the oven. Almond milk
no whey jose likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2264 Old 05-18-2015, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Don't you have a good selection of vegan treats where you live? I'm lucky here. Our local shop has a range of dairy- and egg-free sweets including custard, shortbread cookies, pie, doughnuts, and jam tarts.
I thought you'd have read by now I'm in India ;-) by default everything is vegan here since over 40% of the population are vegetarian for religious reasons (if any foul play does happen with ingredients they would rip the place apart). Hence I feel kinda secure here even though some American companies do mischief with their menu sometimes. Mainstream American joints like McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, Subway, Taco Bell, etc have a majority vegan menu, some wholly vegan.. either they do that or they go outta business pretty fast in this side of the earth.

Quote:
The sausages are by Linda McCartney. Surely you've had vegan sausages?! This particular brand might only be available in the UK, but when I lived in the US my favourite brand was Field Roast.
Nope, again sausages in any form aren't available over here and no I've never been to UK, we do have similar veggie stuffed snacks using dough similar to falafel. I guess I take terms literally until told otherwise, I was going by the Germanic etymology sausage which simply means "stuffed into a gelatine wrap". I wondered what they would use as a wrap to contain vegan ingredients hence my question.

Quote:
For the record, you can safely assume that everything I post here is vegan.
Of course I knew that, like I said it was only curiosity. I have a difficult time trusting companies from U.S or Europe to do the right thing, I know its changing slowly and that eateries are genuinely interested in doing the right thing for vegans but still it is nowhere close to the level India is at because of the absence of religious laws preventing one from suing the companies hollow if they violated it. Laws like halal or kosher which exist in certain areas in U.K & U.S are the worst jokes one can make on animal life, so such laws may as well not exist.
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by varun; 05-18-2015 at 02:56 AM.
#2265 Old 05-18-2015, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
I thought you'd have read by now I'm in India ;-) by default everything is vegan here since over 45% of the population are vegetarian for religious reasons (if any foul play does happen with ingredients they would rip the place apart). Hence I feel kinda secure here even though some American companies do mischief with their menu sometimes. Mainstream American joints like McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, Subway, Taco Bell, etc have a majority vegan menu, some wholly vegan.. either they do that or they go outta business pretty fast in this side of the earth.

Nope, again sausages in any form aren't available over here and no I've never been to UK, we do have similar veggie stuffed snacks using dough similar to falafel. I guess I take terms literally until told otherwise, I was going by the Germanic etymology sausage which simply means "stuffed into a gelatine wrap". I wondered what they would use as a wrap to contain vegan ingredients hence my question.

Of course I knew that, like I said it was only curiosity. I have a difficult time trusting companies from U.S or Europe to do the right thing, I know its changing slowly and that eateries are genuinely interested in doing the right thing for vegans but still it is nowhere close to the level India is at because of the absence of religious laws preventing one from suing the companies hollow if they violated it. Laws like halal or kosher which exist in certain areas in U.K & U.S are the worst jokes one can make on animal life, so such laws may as well not exist.
Ahh, sorry! I remember reading that about you, but it completely slipped my mind. I'm not at all familiar with the food in India (since I doubt the Indian restaurants we have here in the UK are particularly authentic!) and I can't begin to fathom a vegan McDonald's. It's awesome that you have such a wide variety of options.

I wasn't aware of the etymology of "sausage," either. I know that Field Roast boasts a traditional sausage-making approach (sans meat, obviously) and they come encased in plastic that you have to slice open before eating-- could that take the place of the gelatin casing? The other vegan sausages are just sausage-shaped things that come frozen in a box.
varun likes this.
#2266 Old 05-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Ahh, sorry! I remember reading that about you, but it completely slipped my mind. I'm not at all familiar with the food in India (since I doubt the Indian restaurants we have here in the UK are particularly authentic!) and I can't begin to fathom a vegan McDonald's. It's awesome that you have such a wide variety of options.
McDonalds has a rep for being the most vegan friendly fast food joint one can find in India. The vegan food is prepared in a separate kitchen and sent down a different slider from the meat kitchen. Cheese is only an optional add-on and they clearly mention in the wrap if the burger has cheese in it. They take every precaution possible to not land in trouble with us folks. Restaurants in U.K might be as close to authentic as possible w.r.t Indian cuisine but yeah not the real deal.

Quote:
I wasn't aware of the etymology of "sausage," either. I know that Field Roast boasts a traditional sausage-making approach (sans meat, obviously) and they come encased in plastic that you have to slice open before eating-- could that take the place of the gelatin casing? The other vegan sausages are just sausage-shaped things that come frozen in a box.
Ah! I knew it, its not possible to cook up a vegan wrap from the kitchen. In anycase I don't understand why the pathetic attempt by vegan restaurants to replicate a German meat dish in terms of looks.. the plastic casing is unnecessary. What next a veg-mixed 1 foot roll sprayed tan brown to replicate a bratwurst? I feel they should set their own standards of preparation for the others to follow.
no whey jose likes this.

#2267 Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

yesterday:

coffee with soymilk

brown rice with yellow split peas, black beans, sweet potato, onion, celery, carrot, spices

peanut butter on 100% whole wheat bread

apple, grapefruit, blueberries, strawberries, peaches with soy yogurt

brown rice with corn, turnip greens, lima beans, peas, carrots
no whey jose likes this.
#2268 Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Breakfast: canned pumpkin (1/2 the can), banana, blackstrap molasses

ms: apple and hot almond milk

lunch: Made a batch of this for this coming week's lunches and had some for today: split peas, sweet potato, eggplant, raisins, onion, curry powder, cinnamon, and vegetable broth all simmered in a skillet. I found a recipe for it in one of my cookbooks some time ago but couldn't remember which one and skimmed all twelve of them looking. Had to wing it. Also made some brown rice for the week and added cocoa powder and maple syrup to it for a sort of dessert/snack for late mornings.

Dinner: black beans, can of stewed tomato, onion, zucchini simmered on the stove. Had made some homemade whole wheat bread and had this dish with two slices of that right out of the oven. Almond milk
@Naturebound I've always wanted to eat pumpkin right out of the can, but I've never actually done it. In my mind it tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Is the reality as good as my dreams?
#2269 Old 05-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
@Naturebound I've always wanted to eat pumpkin right out of the can, but I've never actually done it. In my mind it tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Is the reality as good as my dreams?
Plain pumpkin from a can is actually fairly bland by itself, but I like it because it serves as a base/medium for other additions. I love blackstrap molasses for instance, or chocolate, but don't necessarily want to eat them alone. They taste so much better mixed with pumpkin and pumpkin tastes better when other stuff is added to it. It's sort of like the same concept as tofu. When I add cocoa powder and banana and maple syrup to tofu, it is like heaven! But by itself tofu is bland. I also find pumpkin to be filling and it has staying power for me when I add stuff like bananas and mixes etc to it. And it's one of those cheap foods.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

#2270 Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

B: sauteed bok choy (2 cups) and a cup of dried cooked white beans with cinnamon and molasses added; orange

ms: my chocolate maple brown rice lol

l: split peas, sweet potato, eggplant, raisins, onion, curry powder, cinnamon, and vegetable broth

D: Cold macaroni salad with chickpeas, celery, onion, black pepper, and homemade almond mayonnaise (for anyone interested...I blend 1/3 to 1/2 can of full fat coconut milk, a cup of blanched almonds (I get them from the baking section of grocery stores), 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil, turmeric, pinch of sweetener and pinch of salt and pepper). The mayonnaise thickens very nicely when left in the refrigerator at least an hour. If it becomes too thin while blending, I have added a pinch of starch to thicken it a little. I play around with amounts of coconut milk and almonds and sometimes add dijon mustard if I use it for potato salad too. Some recipes call for way less almonds and way more oil but I am not comfortable using that much oil.
no whey jose and custardpie like this.

#2271 Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Oryzatarian

D: Chickpea curry with assorted vegetables, brown rice, korean mint green onion relish, and a relish of raw broccoli and gundruk (lacto-fermented mustard greens)

S: Grapes and a fresh made mini-loaf of whole wheat sourdough ginger raisin bread. I got a toaster oven at a church rummage sale for $1 so I've been doing bread experiments, lol
no whey jose likes this.
#2272 Old 05-19-2015, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
D: Chickpea curry with assorted vegetables, brown rice, korean mint green onion relish, and a relish of raw broccoli and gundruk (lacto-fermented mustard greens)

S: Grapes and a fresh made mini-loaf of whole wheat sourdough ginger raisin bread. I got a toaster oven at a church rummage sale for $1 so I've been doing bread experiments, lol
Doesn't sourdough bread require several days to make? I'd love a recipe if you care to share.

#2273 Old 05-19-2015, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks! I wonder what I'd have to mix into it to make it taste like pumpkin pie? Sugar, I'd guess...

-----

black tea with soya milk

fruit n fibre cereal with soya milk

red grapes

leftover whole wheat pasta with green pepper and courgette

a doughnut

earl grey tea with soya milk

a handful of mixed nuts

penne pasta with yellow pepper, spinach, garlic, and chili sauce

vanilla custard

Last edited by no whey jose; 05-19-2015 at 01:55 PM.
#2274 Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM

Today on my transition to vegan I ate....

Breakfast - Oats, chia seeds and linseed mixed together in almond milk then baked with blueberries. So tasty.

Lunch - 2 wheat free rolls with mushrooms and onions with vegan mozarella style cheese.

Dinner - Quinoa and bean chilli.

My snacks have been a couple of squares of dark chocolate and a Nakd bar.

Not bad really for a newbie trying to get my head around a vegan diet.
LedBoots, Nooch and no whey jose like this.
#2275 Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

B - 2 crumpets with tayberry chia 'jam' and coconut yoghurt
S - Homemade nut, seed and dried fruit cocoa crispy cake
L - Wrap filled with lettuce, vegan mayo, olives and these spiced vegetable patty things I made last night; satsuma; biscuit
S - Another crispy cake, some grapes
D - Lentil and bean chilli with a wrap and some grated violife cheese
no whey jose likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#2276 Old 05-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Doesn't sourdough bread require several days to make? I'd love a recipe if you care to share.
My mini-loafs I do kind of cheat on.
In my bedroom I have a 4 tube fluorescent light with a slab of aluminum mounted on top that I use as an incubator for various things, it stays 90°F in the day time.
To make my current brand of mini-loafs/big wide bread rolls I swipe a heaping teaspoon of starter, mix it with 1/3 cup water, and add 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp whole wheat flour (kneeding/folding in the last 1/4 cup) as well as raisins or spices or whatever. I dust the blob with flour if needed and put it on wax paper in a pie tin, cover it with a bowl, and put it on my incubator block for 5-6 hours. I uncover it 10+ minutes early and after the 10 minutes lightly dust with flour before turning it over onto my stainless steel mini-baking sheet and cooking at 350°F for 18 minutes.
Its not as fluffy and low density as the balloon bread in the stores, but I like chewing food.

My default weekly sourdough does take 2 days. Its a very sour flatbread I eat with chilli peppers and some food at the beginning of the meal, like an appetite stimulant since my one meal of the day is HUGE, lol
I make the starter with a heaping teaspoon of starter, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup flour, and a tiny sprinkle of powdered B12 pills. I store this in the fridge after an hour or two.
The previous batch of starter is then combined with 3/4 cups water, 1/2 cup flax meal, and 1.25 lbs of 100% whole wheat flour. It makes an extremely stiff dough that I kneed a second time at the 24 hour mark and at 48 hrs roll into a big rectangle the size of my cookie sheet, cut into 8 equal pieces, and bake at 350°F for 16-18 minutes.
My reward for all the effort is an extra piece on baking day
#2277 Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Breakfast: Oatmeal with banana and raisins
Lunch: Crepes with coriander/tomato salsa
Dinner: Stir fried veggie over brown rice
Dessert: I made a swede pie from this recipe
so yummy!
#2278 Old 05-19-2015, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

today:

coffee with soymilk

2 apples

1 red grapefruit

2 big bowls of broccoli, cauliflower, corn, peas, sugar snap peas, carrots, onion, tomato, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and walnuts with brown rice.
#2279 Old 05-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
My mini-loafs I do kind of cheat on.
In my bedroom I have a 4 tube fluorescent light with a slab of aluminum mounted on top that I use as an incubator for various things, it stays 90°F in the day time.
To make my current brand of mini-loafs/big wide bread rolls I swipe a heaping teaspoon of starter, mix it with 1/3 cup water, and add 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp whole wheat flour (kneeding/folding in the last 1/4 cup) as well as raisins or spices or whatever. I dust the blob with flour if needed and put it on wax paper in a pie tin, cover it with a bowl, and put it on my incubator block for 5-6 hours. I uncover it 10+ minutes early and after the 10 minutes lightly dust with flour before turning it over onto my stainless steel mini-baking sheet and cooking at 350°F for 18 minutes.
Its not as fluffy and low density as the balloon bread in the stores, but I like chewing food.

My default weekly sourdough does take 2 days. Its a very sour flatbread I eat with chilli peppers and some food at the beginning of the meal, like an appetite stimulant since my one meal of the day is HUGE, lol
I make the starter with a heaping teaspoon of starter, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup flour, and a tiny sprinkle of powdered B12 pills. I store this in the fridge after an hour or two.
The previous batch of starter is then combined with 3/4 cups water, 1/2 cup flax meal, and 1.25 lbs of 100% whole wheat flour. It makes an extremely stiff dough that I kneed a second time at the 24 hour mark and at 48 hrs roll into a big rectangle the size of my cookie sheet, cut into 8 equal pieces, and bake at 350°F for 16-18 minutes.
My reward for all the effort is an extra piece on baking day
Wow, that's quite a process! One of these days I am going to give it a go. My husband is good with those mechanical things like incubators so maybe he would make something similar for me. He made our compost bin and an aluminum insulator for our little one burner camp stove when we go canoe camping. He also keeps duct tape handy for canoe repairs lol.

#2280 Old 05-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

B: pumpkin, banana, pea protein powder, cinnamon all mashed together.

ms: chocolate brown rice

L: split peas, sweet potato, eggplant, raisins, onion, curry powder, cinnamon, and vegetable broth

D: cubed tempeh, fresh broccoli, canned pineapple sauteed in a nonstick skillet; I made a sauce with the juice from the pineapple by adding cornstarch and dried mustard and warming it on the stove in a pan to get it thick, then poured it over the tempeh dish along with ginger and garlic powder. All that over brown rice. And almond milk on the side.
no whey jose likes this.

Tags
ketogenic vegan , vegan advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page