What did you eat raw and vegan today? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM

7 years ago I began the new venture of raw food eating. I began 100% raw, organic, vegan. (I have been vegan for about 20 years). At this point, I'm about 95% raw and prefer this but it's not always possible and I don't sweat it.

I'd be interested in hearing what others' experiences are with the raw diet. Please post recipes,links, pictures or anything that is of interest to you or that would encourage others to continue on this path.

Bon Appetit!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

dates, bananas, pineapples

#3 Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Not much, as the only organic food I buy is carrots, and I prefer them cooked. Organic food is prohibitively expensive for me, so I don't have much to add here. I did have a bite of a raw, organic carrot today.
LaurieG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 PM

The thread should read raw and vegan. I shop organic but that doesn't mean everyone else will. I would think the medical expenses in the long run would far outweigh the cost of buying organic now but I understand it's hard to look at it that way.
#5 Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post

I would think the medical expenses in the long run would far outweigh the cost of buying organic now but I understand it's hard to look at it that way.
What ailment will I bring upon myself by consuming possibly GMO, conventionally grown produce? Cancer?
LaurieG likes this.
#6 Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

What ailment will I bring upon myself by consuming possibly GMO, conventionally grown produce? Cancer?

Here is a study recently done in France:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2205509/Cancer-row-GM-foods-French-study-claims-did-THIS-rats--cause-organ-damage-early-death-humans.html#axzz2KA0NUYJ1

You can also go to this one for more information. http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11361.cfm

If I can't find organic in what I need, I have to make sure it says non-gmo. The stuff scares me. We can't even imagine what the long term effects will be but scientist are becoming aware of the dangers. I like to shop at Trader Joe's. Their brand name, which is about 95% of all their items, does not include any gmo's as they don't buy from companies that use it. Their prices are reasonable also. :)

#7 Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Should I move this to the raw foodist section (I already started one there) or will this encourage vegan people to eat a little more raw? Any thoughts on that? smiley.gif

#8 Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Read this about the France research.

The London-based Science Media Centre, which assists reporters when major science news breaks, posted an entire page of criticisms from scientists, researchers and professors. David Spiegelhalter of the University of Cambridge writes that the methods, statistics and reporting of results were all below standard. Among the concerns highlighted:

The published does not present all the data. “All data cannot be shown in one report and the most relevant are described here’”—this is a quote from the paper, which means that no reader can evaluate the findings, which mean the data may have been cherry picked

Small sample size. The control group is inadequate to make any deduction. Only 10 rodents some of these develop tumors. Until you know the degree of variation in 90 or 180 (divided into groups of ten) control rodents these results are of no value.

Maize was minimum 11% of the diet—that’s nor a normal diet for rats and invariably distorted the data

In Fig. 2, the bars with a zero appears to be for the non-maize control, yet those bars don’t look significantly different from the bars indicating 11, 22, and 33% of GM maize in the diet. The authors do not appear to have done analysis of their data.

The data from the control group fed non-GM maize is not included in the main figures making it very difficult to interpret the results

No results given for non-gm maize

The same journal published a paper showing no adverse health effects in rats of consuming gm maize (though this is a shorter 90-day study)

Wendy Harwood, senior scientist at the John Innes Centre in Norwich, UK, reviewed the study, concluding: “The findings do not contradict previous findings that genetic modification itself is a neutral technology, with no inherent health or environmental risks. These results cannot be interpreted as showing that GM technology itself is dangerous.”

My personal opinion... more research are needed, I buy both depending on what is available and at what price.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#9 Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Why would you take a chance on your health if more research is needed? There is so much research out there that shows the dangers. Look up the other link I posted and search it out. We all make our choices. Gmo's are actually banned in some countries and labeling is required in many others. To me, its not worth the risk. But thanks for the info.
#10 Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

GM foods have been grown and sold in Canada since 1994 and will likely continue to be part of the food supply. As a Canadian consumer, you will likely not know if the foods you buy have been genetically modified. However, Health Canada makes sure that genetically modified foods are safe to eat.

I am 100% for labeling and I'm trying to buy organic if my budget permits it. Unfortunately, unless it's on special, the organic products usually are sold at a higher price that can inflate pretty fast a grocery bill. A very modest budget suffers. Bottom line, I would prefer to live in Switzerland lol, I hate Canada politic on gmo labeling. Canada is a fine country but not for gmo. Sure I prefer to be on the safe side, but right now I could buy organic corn and have gmo corn in my cereals without knowing it. I would really prefer to not take the chance like you said, it's common sense, yes many countries have banned or put a hold on gmo, they surely did not do it for nothing. Canada tells us they have severe regulations but can we trust them? Sucks that almost everything is linked to money sad.gif would love to buy only organic, local and fair trade but right now I just cannot.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#11 Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread made me think of this episode of The Goode Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeMfDLvMmVE

#12 Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

Quote:

GM foods have been grown and sold in Canada since 1994 and will likely continue to be part of the food supply. As a Canadian consumer, you will likely not know if the foods you buy have been genetically modified. However, Health Canada makes sure that genetically modified foods are safe to eat.

I am 100% for labeling and I'm trying to buy organic if my budget permits it. Unfortunately, unless it's on special, the organic products usually are sold at a higher price that can inflate pretty fast a grocery bill. A very modest budget suffers. Bottom line, I would prefer to live in Switzerland lol, I hate Canada politic on gmo labeling. Canada is a fine country but not for gmo. Sure I prefer to be on the safe side, but right now I could buy organic corn and have gmo corn in my cereals without knowing it. I would really prefer to not take the chance like you said, it's common sense, yes many countries have banned or put a hold on gmo, they surely did not do it for nothing. Canada tells us they have severe regulations but can we trust them? Sucks that almost everything is linked to money sad.gif would love to buy only organic, local and fair trade but right now I just cannot.

I didn't realize you are from Canada. I see your dilemna. Yes, I try my hardest not to eat GMO but I know I have. Especially when I go out to eat at such  places like Thai food, etc. We sometimes have to hope for the best. I always pray before I eat so I hope that makes the difference. blush.gif

#13 Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

This thread made me think of this episode of The Goode Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeMfDLvMmVE

Super cute...thanks! What's sad is when people judge each other.

#14 Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

Quote:

I hope one day we can all have some land to plant our own food. Wouldn't that be awesome??? Then we don't have to worry about the cost of organic. When I lived in Hawaii for 1-1/2 years, I couldn't believe how much I spent on organic food. Problem was, the conventional wasn't that much cheaper. I spent nearly $500/month on food just for myself. When I came back to California, I felt like I was really getting by cheap with the organic foods here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page